1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuse box overload?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Nov 13, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

I have some interior leds running off a fuse tap under the coin holder in my truck.

I want to add reverse lights (fuse tap--àswitch-àrelay(main power from battery)-à lights

I also want to run some leds in the truck bed (fuse Tap-à switch-à Leds

If I have three fuse taps coming off the interior fuse block, can I damage it?

Or should I tap the fuse box under the hood for the reverse lights? (if so does anyone know what empty fuse space is hot only when the IGN is on?)

Thanks for the help guys! I’ll post a write up with pics when done!

2. Nov 13, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I installed a fuse block under the hood for accessory wiring. Power is fed directly from the battery through a fuse and a relay. I tapped into one of the wires in fuse block under the hood so power is fed to the new fuse block only when the ignition is on.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/shop/contents/en-us/p525.html

In a couple days I could take some pictures of the under hood wire I tapped to flip the relay if you like.

3. Nov 13, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
  4. Nov 13, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    x2 on Parts-Express.com. Great site!

5. Nov 13, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    First off let me say that i am no wiring professional.

However, if you are using a relay for the reverse lights with the main power coming directly from the battery then the only power being used from the fuse block is the power required to operate the relay, which is almost nothing. So I would not be concerned with that too much.

As for the additional led's, you may want to find another curcuit for those, to spread the load instead of putting everything on the same circuit.

On my 07 DC I have an unused, switched, fuse slot on the fuse block in the cab. You may or may not have the same free slot depending on your installed options. Scroll down to step 11 in my How To Wire Aftermarket Lights thread for a pic of the unused fuse slot.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/6525-diy-wiring-after-market-lights.html

Good luck wiring everything up...

6. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

thanks guys!

so yes: i do have the empty fuse slot in the fuse box inside the cab (but it has a tap for my interior leds) i have a few more oepn slots on the interior fuse box...do you know if they are hot when IGN is on?

Also which fuse slot id HOT when IGN is on for the fuse box under the hood?

Or better yet, a wire i could just tap under the hood, the get HOT power when IGN is on? This way i don't have to buy another add a circuit fuse tap!

ANYONE?

Products Discussed in

To Top