1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you remember to turn your headlights on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by klown, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Feb 20, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    klown

klown [OP] Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I don't like leaving mine on all the time.

2. Feb 20, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I leave mine at running light positions all the time since they turn on and off with the key, then just look for the headlight idiot light if I want a quick check for headlights on or off.

As for not having the rear lights on, I think that's retarded. All these DRL kits turn on the headlights but not the tails. That's great for oncoming traffic, but what about the people behind you? I'd rather have the guy coming up behind me around a blind corner see my truck in the shadows better. I'd also like to see the car ahead of me in the same situation better. I have lots of tree lined and mountain valley roads. These idiots in dark colored cars on dark colored roads in dark shadows are damn hard to see without tail lights on. Would be nice to see them BEFORE I have to slam on the brakes because they're doing 10mph below the speed limit.

3. Feb 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Exactly. I don't get this "How do you remember to turn your headlights on" stuff. I can't see = turn them on.

I'd really like to know how some of you know when to eat.

4. Feb 20, 2008 at 8:41 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    It's simple, I live in the city. Most of the streets I'm driving on are well lit. Headlights don't help me see the road too much, they really only help others see me.

5. Feb 21, 2008 at 3:13 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Exactly. The problem is that in a city there's enough light for you to see even after the sun goes down.... Untill you leave the city or turn down a less well lit road. For the last century in 99% of the vehicles on the road the dash lights went on and off with the headlights (OK with the parking lights to) so some of us old farts being used to the way things have always worked are sometimed getting caught with our pants down.... I mean with our lights off.

I need coffee.

6. Feb 21, 2008 at 6:01 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    :laugh: That was good to read first thing this morning! Helped me wake up! I probably shouldn't mention that I've forgotten to eat, but can remember to turn my lights on....

You guys might do the DRL mod. That way your turn signals come on with your marker lights (and are brighter).Turn the light stalk to parking/driving lights and leave it on. They'll come on when you start the truck and go off when you open the door. Never have to touch them unless you can't see, then flip to full headlights. In the mean time you are visible to others from the front and rear without having to think about it. Combine it with the fog light mod, leave them on, and you have DRL's that make you more visible from the front, illuminate a little at night, and doesn't run your headlights all the time.

Without the fog's it would look like this: (minus the white underglow)
    th_DSCF1251_792ee6ac80ab4512a2db3c24f2c922513bf66153.jpg
    You can see they're quite bright at night.

With fog's:
    th_DSCF1252_fb7252804c53816b95e8afaa14df57791fe5ca52.jpg

Sometimes at my house I have to check that the headlights are on since the fogs seem so bright in my barn or shining against a wall.

7. Feb 21, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    klown

klown [OP] Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    I don't know if you've ever made it out to a city after the sun goes down, it sounds like you never do that so you wouldn't get this thread. It's not for you. As others have followed up, in the city the streets are well lit, so there isn't an issue of "I can't see the road" but the issue is that "I can't be seen". I seriously wanted to know how the city folks do this (or even rural folks that maybe once a decade venture out into a city once the sun has gone down), it seems like the popular method is to just leave the headlights on all the time.

8. Feb 21, 2008 at 6:15 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I've always just reached for the knob automatically after starting the engine when it's dark out. And not dark as is I can't see, but as in I know it's evening out and only the street lights are lighting it up. I've lived everywhere from cities to country so I've had pitch black driveways and bright as day parking lots. If it's 6pm during the winter chances are I just flip the lights on because I know the sun has gone down.

My truck has changed my habits slightly since it turns them off when I open the door so i can just leave them on. My car doesn't so now I forget to turn them off until I hear the chime sometimes, but I still flip them on. I don't even think about it. It's more of a reflex so there's no "remembering " or "forgetting", just doing.

To me, it's about being aware of my surroundings. I would have to be piss drunk or half unconscious to not know it was dark out and I needed others to see me. dark out = need better visibility = turn on some lights. I honestly don't even think about it. So for those of you that do, I don't know what to say other than use the automated systems in place. It's that or spend a great deal of time training you left hand to automatically reach for the dial after a certain time of day! :D

9. Feb 21, 2008 at 6:24 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Anyway, at least you guys are thinking about others seeing you. So many people around here seem clueless about that. It's a "we can see so we don't need them on" mentality. Even in this small town with street lights only every 100-200 feet.

10. Feb 21, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    whenever you turn off your lights, turn your dash dimmer all of the way down too. that way, when you can't see how fast you're going/ your RPM, you'll know your lights aren't on

11. Feb 21, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    jns0034

jns0034 Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    07 work truck...
    ARE shell.
    automatic turn-off head lights is good.... then you drive your older car which does not have this feature... then your screwed... you'll be needing your jumper cables...lol

12. Feb 21, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

Most cars chirp/chime/beep if you leave the lights on when you get out. I kinda laugh when my inlaws kill their battery that way. But then they leave the keys in the ignition so it always beeps when they get out. :rolleyes: Just one of many reason why I don't do that I suppose.

Products Discussed in

To Top