Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do you remember to turn your headlights on?

Old 02-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
How do you remember to turn your headlights on?

Well I just got my 08 tacoma. One of the things I have to get used to is the fact that the instrument cluster lights stay on all the time.

On my old V-dub, the instrument cluster lights stayed off until you turned your headlights on. So when it got dark, it would remind you to turn on your lights cause you can't see anything in the inst cluster.

My question is, what method do you guys use to ensure that you remember to turn your lights on when it turn dark?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
bob857 is on a distinguished road

bob857's Tacoma Gallery
I turn them just after I start the engine, and off again just before shutting it down.

Does anyone have instructions (or a link to a thread) for installing the "Daytime Running Light Kit for 2005-2008 Tacoma (Part #DAYTIME-RL-KIT)" that www.trdparts4u.com sells?

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-DAYTIME....aspx?MakeID=1
Old 02-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
i cheat
and fake a dtrl thing
if you just leave the lights on when you turn the key off . get out,and shut the door they shut off within 1 min. then when you stat it up they come on again automaticaly

Yeah that's what I've been doing. I really don't like leaving my rear lights on all the time, I thought there may be a mod out there that turns the instrument cluster lights off unless the headlights are on.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, the real question is, how do you remember to turn off your lights? I try to turn them off, but I generally just forget about it and realize when it gets dark, "hey, my lights are already on."
Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Master of the Universe
Flycatcher is on a distinguished road

Army: Platoon Leader, 2nd PLT Co A 1-128 Light Infantry
Flycatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
i cheat
and fake a dtrl thing
if you just leave the lights on when you turn the key off . get out,and shut the door they shut off within 1 min. then when you stat it up they come on again automaticaly

Is that an '07 thing? I do the same thing with my '06 but the lights go off as soon as I open my door. Not that I mind I guess, but the dealer did say it was supposed to have the "walk to your door" feature like yours.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycatcher View Post
Is that an '07 thing? I do the same thing with my '06 but the lights go off as soon as I open my door. Not that I mind I guess, but the dealer did say it was supposed to have the "walk to your door" feature like yours.
nope, my 07 turns off as soon as I open the door.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I really dislike (Hate is too much work) the always on dash lights. They have caused me to drive without my headlights several times. It's not like the light is needed during the day and if it's dark enough to need light to see the instruments I'd have to have the headlights on anyway. I'm hoping someone comes up with a mod to fix this.

It reminds me of my issue with the AC going on if you set the ventilation to defrost.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I really dislike (Hate is too much work) the always on dash lights. They have caused me to drive without my headlights several times. It's not like the light is needed during the day and if it's dark enough to need light to see the instruments I'd have to have the headlights on anyway. I'm hoping someone comes up with a mod to fix this.

It reminds me of my issue with the AC going on if you set the ventilation to defrost.
someone smart could probably reverse the wires around and use the dimmer on the left of the dash to set the dash lights to be off. I'm too much of a candy-ass to start tinkering.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have an 07 and mine does both. I've seen the lights stay on after I get out and shut the door and I've also seen them go out immediately when I open the door.

I think there's some sort of 'factor' or sequence that causes it to do one or the other. I just haven't figured out WHAT that is....?? Haven't had time to try and figure it out either.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
nope, my 07 turns off as soon as I open the door.
yup, thats how mine is, if i leave my lights on they turn off as soon as i open my door. i dont know why phantoms wait a minute.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I have an 07 and mine does both. I've seen the lights stay on after I get out and shut the door and I've also seen them go out immediately when I open the door.

I think there's some sort of 'factor' or sequence that causes it to do one or the other. I just haven't figured out WHAT that is....?? Haven't had time to try and figure it out either.
I do know if you have the door open and THEN turn on the lights they will stay on after you get out, but i dont know if they stay on for good or if they time out and turn themselves off. i dunno. you're one of hte smart ones on this site Janster, you should be able to figure this out for us stupid guys
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
waynea4 is on a distinguished road
waynea4's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=bob857;58310]I turn them just after I start the engine, and off again just before shutting it down.

Does anyone have instructions (or a link to a thread) for installing the "Daytime Running Light Kit for 2005-2008 Tacoma (Part #DAYTIME-RL-KIT)" that www.trdparts4u.com sells?

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-DAYTIME...D=1[/quote]

Bob, check out the thread posted by 007Tacoma in the mod and tutorials section. He did a great article with pics and very good instructions, I did it after I got my parts from toyotapart.com in about 45 minutes. Really makes your truck look mean with the lights on. And for the headlights staying on, I have an 08' and if I leave the lights on and turn the engine off they stay on. When you open the door they go off, I will have to see if I cut them on after the engine is off and see if they go out.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't had any problems with it. most people turn their lights on when it's dark and they can't see. If you can't see, try turning your headlights on. If that doesn't work, stop driving. Since the truck turns them off for me if I forget to turn them off there is no real problem. If I can't see I turn them on. (OR if I'm using my wipers-thanks California, what would I do without your legislators?)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
bob857 is on a distinguished road

bob857's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=waynea4;58365]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob857 View Post
I turn them just after I start the engine, and off again just before shutting it down.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-DAYTIME-RL-KIT.aspx?MakeID=1[/quote]

Bob, check out the thread posted by 007Tacoma in the mod and tutorials section. He did a great article with pics and very good instructions, I did it after I got my parts from toyotapart.com in about 45 minutes. Really makes your truck look mean with the lights on. And for the headlights staying on, I have an 08' and if I leave the lights on and turn the engine off they stay on. When you open the door they go off, I will have to see if I cut them on after the engine is off and see if they go out.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
(OR if I'm using my wipers-thanks California, what would I do without your legislators?)
Rain-X FTW!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Rain-X FTW!!!
HAHAAAAHA

yes that limits the need. Also using a delay setting does not require the lights. And yes I got pulled over and given a warning for it.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
Tacoma World Ring Leader

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
I haven't had any problems with it. most people turn their lights on when it's dark and they can't see. If you can't see, try turning your headlights on. If that doesn't work, stop driving. Since the truck turns them off for me if I forget to turn them off there is no real problem. If I can't see I turn them on. (OR if I'm using my wipers-thanks California, what would I do without your legislators?)
Well it's more of an issue in lighted city streets. When it gets dark here in the city you don't need headlights to see where you're going as much as you need headlights so people can see you. So I take it you have no input?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #18

All my smart ass remarks aside...
I know what you mean, it's just never been a problem for me in this truck. Don't the radio and a/c dash lights not come on without the headlights? You could wire the instrument panel lights to that circuit so they all work the same.
It would probably require pulling the rheostat and chasing some wires. Also depends of the current pulled in the two circuits.

(does that count as input?)
Old 02-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
chris L will become famous soon enough

Army: tank driver 4bn 69th Armor
chris L's Tacoma Gallery
nevermind
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #20
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
Well I just got my 08 tacoma. One of the things I have to get used to is the fact that the instrument cluster lights stay on all the time.

On my old V-dub, the instrument cluster lights stayed off until you turned your headlights on. So when it got dark, it would remind you to turn on your lights cause you can't see anything in the inst cluster.

My question is, what method do you guys use to ensure that you remember to turn your lights on when it turn dark?
When someone flashes me with their lights and I think, what are you flashing me for, dumbass?, and then I realize that my lights aren't on, then I think, I'm a dumbass.

I leave mine on all the time. I like the frightened looks I see from people in their rearview mirror