1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got rear-ended last Wed. - What sholud I do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stu, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Nov 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    Although i was a nice guy once and it worked out awesome. This rich biotch that was a friend of my buddy's decided to sit on my Hayabusa against my wishes and tipped it over. instead of claiming it on the insurance and letting my insurance collect from her i let her parents pay the damages. broke the clutch lever tweaked the handle bar not to mention it scratched the hell out of my plastics so my buddy her and myself went to the suzuki stealership and the quote was $3300 so her parents cut me a $3300 check. That bought me an exhaust and custome mapping and other goodies. But, my pops owns a pro body shop so getting rid of the scratches by repainting was super easy. and an aftermarket level was cheap.

Take it to Toyota to get a quote

If you have any friends that will put it on a rack and their isnt any structural damage and they write you a check for it then take the money buy an aftermarket bumper and whatever else is damaged and pocket the rest. If it were me id make sure it was enough for an Allpro rear bumper and some skids for your troubles

2. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    Stu

Stu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    K, here are some photos, as promised.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nov 15, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    From the looks of things there may be some frame damage. I could see where its possible she hit hard enough to move the frame which could be why the overload leaf is turned. If the frame tweaked the bed would be off center and the leaves mount on the frame which could be off. The overload may be still straight on the axle but the rest of the leaves connected to the frame are tweaked. Deffinately get that thing on a rack and call your insurance co.

4. Nov 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    nice guys always end up screwed in the end..Do yourself a favor and get it done by a body shop correct

5. Nov 15, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    Faskev

Faskev Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ya, the box has shifted towards the driver's side, you can see how the box no longer lines up with the cab. I would go through insurance as you never know what damage could be there that wasn't able to be seen when the quote was done.

6. Nov 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    So was a police report even done on this? More time that passes, the more it becomes a "he said/she said" thing and you could just be left hanging with the whole repair ordeal.

My ex-wife after we got divorced had rear ended somebody also and convinced them to do it off the books. Eventually got drawn out to where she just walked away and left them with the whole bill.

7. Nov 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    Stu

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    Had a deputy & an HP there. Thanks all for the input!

8. Nov 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    +1 for insurance. Call them and tell them you are just going to put it through your insurance. Call the insurance company and give them her details and ask them where to take it. Drop the truck off and let them do the work while you drive a free rental vehicle. Pick up your truck after the work has been done and go on your merry way!!

Cheers.

9. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    how hard did she hit you? Its really scary to think that a small fender bender has the potential to do that much damage. In my chevy i was rearended hard enough for the other person to total their car all i needed was a new plastic step cover and to straighten my 7pin connector. Hope its an optical illusion and all you need is a new bumper.

10. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM
    Stu

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    It's not an illusion. But I'm holding out that it's just the bed that got pushed forward on the right side. I'm gonna have it measured, for sure, & straightened if needed. I'm actually more concerned with the overload twist.
    She did catch the receiver a little, but not enough to break (it was bent tho) the plastic receiver insert (Toyota freebee).
    I dunno, I guess I can't really help this girl out like I'd want to, so much for being a nice guy. I'll still try to keep the labor down by doing what I can myself.

11. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    They may be related. I dont see how the bed could move that much without the frame moving. Have you taken it to get a good estimate?

12. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    did the front of the bed move forward enough to touch the back of the cab?

13. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    Stu

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Got 3 estimates so far. 1 shop didn't think I needed the rack (don't think I'll be using them). No obvious contact between cab & bed. The girl's parents suggested another shop, thought I'd get an est. from them anyways.

14. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    This. People need consequences to learn to change their behaviors. Making her pay to fix your truck will help her become a better driver.

Theoretically.

Anyway, in any event, I would want my damn truck fixed.

15. Nov 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Take it to the dealer and see what they say. They will fix it right. If the parents want to pay for that, fine. If not, tell them you have no problem calling the insurance. I would take it to a place YOU and YOU ALONE trust. She hit you.

16. Nov 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    Stu

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    I went to the girls' parents suggestion, he wants $1300 for just the bumper & labor to straighten the bed, no measurement.

I tried.

Products Discussed in

To Top