Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake Controller

Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
NWCouple2 is on a distinguished road

NWCouple2's Tacoma Gallery
Question Brake Controller

Just where is a guy to mount the brake controller? I was thinking about the space above the E brake. It is a Tekonsha Prodigy. Not many choices.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck.. .I still haven't figured out where to put mine... I just have mine hanging loose and just disconnect when I don't need it.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
ofrd4fun is on a distinguished road
ofrd4fun's Tacoma Gallery
I attached my Tekonsha P3 to the small drop-down door to the left of the steering wheel with the plastic bracket provided. The controller should be at right angles to the direction of travel so this was about the only spot. Plus the two mounting holes are not visible if I remove the bracket. So far the weight of the controller does not pop the door down either while driving on or off road.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrd4fun View Post
I attached my Tekonsha P3 to the small drop-down door to the left of the steering wheel with the plastic bracket provided.
This is not a knee banger? Looks like you would hit your knee getting in and out of the truck.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
ofrd4fun is on a distinguished road
ofrd4fun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCouple2 View Post
This is not a knee banger? Looks like you would hit your knee getting in and out of the truck.
I have to be aware of it when I get in or out but it hasn't been a problem. Maybe one day I'll fab a bracket to hold it to the right of the wheel but until then.......!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just where is a guy to mount the brake controller? I was thinking about the space above the E brake. It is a Tekonsha Prodigy. Not many choices.
Check this out. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ing-bible.html
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is a Tekonsha Prodigy. Not many choices.
Even if there were other choices... The Prodigy is (IMO) the best brake controller you can get.

I've used one for years and still have it, just not mounted in the taco.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I've used one for years and still have it, just not mounted in the taco.
That makes me feel bettermaybe I should mount it somewhere else too.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Try here:

Easy to reach for the manual switch as well. Put a small hole in the clutter pocket and run the cable under the dash. Plugs in just behind the left kick panel. Works great for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That makes me feel bettermaybe I should mount it somewhere else too.
smarty pants!

We used it in the Dodge Ram before we bought the tacoma. Awesome brake controller. Haven't had a reason to put it in the truck yet.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery

I like this location, too. I had a voyager, which is the precursor to the prodigy. I love inertia activated controllers. Unfortunately I couldn't reach that location while still seeing clearly over the dash. And with the manual trans while towing in 5th gear the shifter is semi-sorta in the way. I went with the remote time activated unit. I put mine under the seat as Maverick did in the Towing Bible thread. I just cut two small slits in the carpet and zip tied it under the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Brake Controller-dscn1119-small-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #12

I love it j4x4ar3

And we have a winner. Looks like that is the spot j4x4ar3. Same controller same color interior. Must be a sign! I will get it in this weekend. Thanks for your help. Also will be removing the mini me air filter. Why would they stick that in there anyway?