1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difficulty in engaging reverse

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TR6BILL, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:39 AM
    TR6BILL

TR6BILL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 4 cyl, 2WD, 5 sp
    Hello fellas,
    New to the forum, and new to Toyota. I have an 09 PreRunner 2WD with the 4 cylinder and manual transmission. Love the truck, hate the stick. Meaning, about 1 out of every 4 attempts to engage the transmission into reverse, the darn thing just won't go into gear! All other gears are never a problem (1-5) and the reverse, when I engage it, works smooth as silk most of the time. Eventually, after playing with the stick, I can get it to go but this has become really frustrating. The dealer seems to ignore the problem. I have put only 10K miles on the vehicle from new (bought it in June). Has anyone experienced this before and what should I tell the dealer. I am no stranger to manual transmissions. Have owned 4 Triumphs (as my user name implies), a manual S10, and others. Frustrated.

2. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:53 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    If it won't go into reverse, put the shifter in neutral and let out the clutch momentarily. Then depress the clutch pedal and attempt reverse again. It is probably a matter of the gear teeth not being lined up. This will move them and should fix the problem.

3. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    First welcome to TW.

I also have the same problem but I manage to work through it. To me it is not a big deal.

4. Nov 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    It happens. The gear teeth hit directly instead of meching together. Just let the truck roll forward a hair to line the gears up and it will go right it

5. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

yep, a lot of sticks will do this. It's simple gear alignment.

6. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    +1. If you think it is hard now...you should get the URD Short Shifter...lol!

7. Nov 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    X2
    I do this with my Integra. If it doesn't go into reverse the first time don't stay on the clutch trying to shift in reverse, start over by putting it in neutral releasing the clutch then depress the clutch and shift into reverse.

8. Nov 17, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    the same thing used to happen with my 6spd altima..its normal, i would just let the p-brake out and let her roll a little and it will slide right in..

9. Nov 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:

It's actually seems easier for me to get into reverse now with the ss kit. lol

10. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    TR6BILL

TR6BILL [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 4 cyl, 2WD, 5 sp
    You guys are the best! Simply dropping the shifter into neutral and engaging the clutch allows the reverse gear to engage without a hassle. Thank a bunch. I was ready to throw in the towel.......

11. Nov 17, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Yes, easier as in going up once you get it over. But getting over for weak guys or ladies can be an issue. LOL! :laugh:

12. Nov 17, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    im my moms jeep, it doesnt roll at all so when it doesnt go into gear you literally have to get out of the jeep and push it a little just to get it in gear, otherwise it just doesnt work

13. Nov 17, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    You can also shift it into 1st without moving the truck, and then go directly to reverse; this'll usually align things well enough to get it into gear, with less clutch work :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top