LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Access Cab vs Double Cab

Old 02-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #21
RAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RAPOM's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, sorry to say I am. Not to hijack the thread, I was thinking there is no electronics in that accsess door maybe some of that spray expandable foam thru a small hole would quiet them down? On the other subject being active duty during war is not as romantic as the movies make it out to be. I am going to try that foam and let you know how it goes. Then I will start a thread asking advice on how to chisel it all out! LOL!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #22
PackPike is on a distinguished road
PackPike's Tacoma Gallery
For me the double cab was the only way to go and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. With a 6 month old son, 2 dogs and a wife who never wants to drive, I had to have 4 doors and we've got PLENTY of room with the double cab.

I've started noticing the 07 model appears to even have more than the previous ones. the width of the back doors versus a 2006 look bigger and thay may not translate to more room but it sure looks that way.

I'd also add that then buying process isn't as bad as it used to be. do your research, contact their internet sales manager, and close a deal for close to if not under invoice...i wouldn't waste time in the showroom until the deal is done!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #23
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
or what you're trying to say "you're girlfriend is your wife" or wife by day girlfriend at night? i don't know i guess to each is own. if you're happy that's all that matters
Old 02-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #24
canoe is on a distinguished road
canoe's Tacoma Gallery
Double Cab

My Taco is a double cab, long bed. The extra space and comfort afforded the passengers in the rear seat greatly outweighs the hit we take in gas mileage. Towing capacity is wonderful too. The kids (7-, 10-years old) have no complaints now, and shouldn't ever. However, we do limit the use of this vehicle, and use our older 4-cylinder Toyota truck for most of the miles we drive.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #25
moses is on a distinguished road
moses's Tacoma Gallery
There's another reason to go with the double cab: safety.

The doublecab gets five/five stars for safety in side impacts. The access cab is too small to test.

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/4042.html
http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/4258.html

My son is four, and I'm willing to spend the extra few $k for the extra safety...
Old 02-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #26
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post

The doublecab gets five/five stars for safety in side impacts. The access cab is too small to test.

My son is four, and I'm willing to spend the extra few $k for the extra safety...
Just b/c they didn't test it doesn't mean it's less safe.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #27
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeity View Post
Just b/c they didn't test it doesn't mean it's less safe.
I saw an AccessCab at the local junk yard that was T-Boned by a semi doing 45 MPH. The safety cage was beaten to crap, but it looked like a walk-away accident (there wasn't even any blood in the cab). I never did find what I was looking for - the overhead compass thingy (how's that for a technical brainfart! )
Old 10-21-2007, 04:22 AM   #28
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/4042.html
http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/4258.html

I realize I am ressurecting a really old thread but i just wanted to say that the Access cab in the links has now been rated and it is just as safe as thee double cab. The numbers are even slightly better.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #29
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
My two and a half cents

I have the Access Cab, and the only reason I didn't get the Double Cab is that my wife drives a huge "Inconvenient Truth" SUV (name withheld to protect the innocent), and I don't really ever have to put more than 2 people in my truck (including myself). Also, I'm the low man on the totem pole at work, and end up doing a lot of the stuff a "runner" or "courier" would do, so I have to parallel park a good bit and wanted the long bed but to still be able to put it into a tight space. Otherwise, I've have gone with the Double Cab all day long - it all depends on your personal needs, and if you need to put people back there, the Double Cab is the way to go.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #30
Critter is on a distinguished road

Critter's Tacoma Gallery
I say Crew if you think you might then get Crew! I made that mistake and it cost me to fix it!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #31
jgunccrugby is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jgunccrugby's Tacoma Gallery
I got the double cab and found it more valuable to me just because of my dog. Its great being able to fold down the seat and not worry about getting hair all over the place. Not to mention how handy it comes in when transporting luggage or things you don't want to get wet in the bed of the truck. Its great for tailgating b/c I can lock everything up.

The DBL cab has exceeded my expectations all the way around.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #32
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunccrugby View Post
I got the double cab and found it more valuable to me just because of my dog. Its great being able to fold down the seat and not worry about getting hair all over the place. Not to mention how handy it comes in when transporting luggage or things you don't want to get wet in the bed of the truck. Its great for tailgating b/c I can lock everything up.

The DBL cab has exceeded my expectations all the way around.
Err... I can do all of that with my AccessCab. As a matter of fact, I do all of things with my AccessCab. The only thing I don't do is carry 4 people further than 25 miles - which is part of the reason I got an AccessCab. I am no taxi.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #33
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i love the way the seats fold down in the 4 door, its really handy for moving big stuff. i put i a dresser in the back seat with them folded down and didnt have to put it directly on teh cloth which may have torn it
Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #34
jgunccrugby is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jgunccrugby's Tacoma Gallery
All I can say is that the folded down seats make for one very happy rottie.
Between her (the dog), tailgating, and having to haul crap for the girlfriend they spend more time folded down than in the seating position.

I will be honest with you though... I bought my tacoma after getting rid of a single cab s-10 that I had for almost 11 years. Anything was going to be an improvement. I got tired of having to take two vehicles any time I wanted to go anywhere and take the dog.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #35
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
Err... I can do all of that with my AccessCab. As a matter of fact, I do all of things with my AccessCab. The only thing I don't do is carry 4 people further than 25 miles - which is part of the reason I got an AccessCab. I am no taxi.
My thoughts exactly
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #36
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
A double cab tells the world that your married with kids. An access cab says that you might be single.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #37
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I am married with kids, not ashamed of it, and I wish I had the double cab!
Got no room in the budget for it. When I do find the $, my dilemma will be long bed or short bed. I prefer the appearance of the short bed, my wife prefers the long bed.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #38
swede31188 is on a distinguished road

swede31188's Tacoma Gallery
ether motor trend or car and driver wrote up a good article on the dbl cab cornering bad truck good
Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #39
prclements is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
prclements's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to prclements
I have a 2 year old and I can't imagine how a 20-45 lb car seat could fit comfortably in anything less than a double cab. As it is now, she props her feet up on the back of the front seats. Of course, this requires that I have a towel in the back seat to wipe off feet before I put her in the car seat...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #40
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede31188 View Post
ether motor trend or car and driver wrote up a good article on the dbl cab cornering bad truck good
Really? Did they say what they expected, what they compared with? I'm quite happy with the way my truck corners -- better than I expected. Now, I'm expecting it to act like a lifted truck, not a sports car.

If the truck had been up to me, for a commuter vehicle, I would have chosen the access cab to avoid being a taxi, but I am married with kids and need the space for them. I might have liked the long bed, but it would have been even tighter to get it in my garage, and since the dealer only had short beds in stock, it was a negotiating point.