Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Access Cab vs Double Cab

Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #41
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone is diff. and to each his own, but i like the looks of an access cab... that is why i got one

but i don't have any kids.... and my wife has a good size SUV for when we take out the nephews and such....

but if i had kids, i would more than likely have gotten a double cab....

like i said... to each his own... or her own... whatever fits u best!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 AM   #42
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
I am married with kids, not ashamed of it, and I wish I had the double cab!
Got no room in the budget for it. When I do find the $, my dilemma will be long bed or short bed. I prefer the appearance of the short bed, my wife prefers the long bed.
I'm married too but with no kids and certainly not ashamed of it. The world has waaay too many people.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #43
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I love having the double cab. I like the way they look better than teh access cabs. they look bigger, plus i wanted the short bed. i travel alot on weekends and i use the back seats all hte time for luggage and crap. It's double cabs for me from now on. btw, mine corners fine too. one of my friends commented on how well it takes turns for such a beefy truck
Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #44
Critter is on a distinguished road

Critter's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I love having the double cab. I like the way they look better than teh access cabs. they look bigger, plus i wanted the short bed. i travel alot on weekends and i use the back seats all hte time for luggage and crap. It's double cabs for me from now on. btw, mine corners fine too. one of my friends commented on how well it takes turns for such a beefy truck
I got short bed I opted for the roof rack too,just in case. Looks pretty good on my white crew cab. I got mine as through in to close the deal! I like it alot!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 AM   #45
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
Long Bed Double Cab for me. I don't Off-Road and the extra bed is extra. The truck has an overall massive and still Spartan look. This is what I wanted...Rich
Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #46
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
I will admit that the double cab with the long bed does look really good. you're truck looks great and i have always thought that ladytacos's truck looks like a big badass limo. However, i wanted to be able to go offroad and the long bed would make that harder to do, plust the longbed is not offered in the 4 door off-road version
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #47
TNTaco is on a distinguished road

Army: Charlie Company, 237th Engineer Batallion, AMF(L)
Name: Steven
TNTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would trade up to a Double Cab. I have a 2007 PreRunner and I love it. My wife loves the convenience and room of the full back seat for my son's car seat. Plus, the back seats will fold flat so it is also good for more interior storage on those rainy days or grocery store, etc. Also...the V6 isn't that bad on gas, and the I4 isn't that great in reality. It all depends on how you drive, what you haul and what the terrain is like on average. I get 450 miles per tank on my DC.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #48
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTaco View Post
I would trade up to a Double Cab. I have a 2007 PreRunner and I love it. My wife loves the convenience and room of the full back seat for my son's car seat. Plus, the back seats will fold flat so it is also good for more interior storage on those rainy days or grocery store, etc. Also...the V6 isn't that bad on gas, and the I4 isn't that great in reality. It all depends on how you drive, what you haul and what the terrain is like on average. I get 450 miles per tank on my DC.
The 4 cylinder isn't that bad, but if you want a double cab - you have no choice. I think Toyota determined with all the extra weight (plus it still has to be able to haul) that the 4.0L V6 is the only engine sufficient for the job.

My 4 cylinder has plenty of power and the fuel economy is pretty good, but most 4 cylinder owners are getting better gas mileage than I am.

Bottom Line - If you are getting a Tacoma and plan to haul more than two people, then get the Double Cab. The DC only comes with a V6+auto combination. The real question is if you will need 4 wheel drive or not. If you need it once, it pays for itself.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #49

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
The 4 cylinder isn't that bad, but if you want a double cab - you have no choice. I think Toyota determined with all the extra weight (plus it still has to be able to haul) that the 4.0L V6 is the only engine sufficient for the job.

My 4 cylinder has plenty of power and the fuel economy is pretty good, but most 4 cylinder owners are getting better gas mileage than I am.

Bottom Line - If you are getting a Tacoma and plan to haul more than two people, then get the Double Cab. The DC only comes with a V6+auto combination. The real question is if you will need 4 wheel drive or not. If you need it once, it pays for itself.
I believe you are mistaken 007, you can get the double cab with a manual as well. you have no choice but to take the V6 but you can choose your tansmission
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #50
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I believe you are mistaken 007, you can get the double cab with a manual as well. you have no choice but to take the V6 but you can choose your tansmission
Oh, yeah. Would you look at that?

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2008/...ouble_cab.html

You sure can. I got told that you couldn't. Now I see that was only on the 2WD/PreRunner models (stupid salesman).

In the 4x4 DC Shortbed you can get a 6-spd Manual.

I think it was a trick by the Carolina Alliance. You went back and time and told that sales guy not to let me get a DC SB 4WD Manual!!!

You will pay for that!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #51

nd's Tacoma Gallery
I also told him to sell you a 4cyl that got the same mileage as the V6, and told him to talk you out of the 4x4. i didnt want you to have any fun
Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #52
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTaco View Post
I get 450 miles per tank on my DC.
OK. Give it up. How do you manage that? Mods? All highway at 55? Never get rpm's over 1K (aka drive like a comatose grandma)? I was ecstatic to get 18 mpg on my last tank, but you're around 22 mpg.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #53
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
plust the longbed is not offered in the 4 door off-road version
I guess that settles it, when the time comes, I'll be getting the DC short bed w/ offroad package. Thanks for doin my homework, nd.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #54
TNTaco is on a distinguished road

Army: Charlie Company, 237th Engineer Batallion, AMF(L)
Name: Steven
TNTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
OK. Give it up. How do you manage that? Mods? All highway at 55? Never get rpm's over 1K (aka drive like a comatose grandma)? I was ecstatic to get 18 mpg on my last tank, but you're around 22 mpg.
Well, yes and no...and not exactly... I don't have any mods, although I have a list of mods that I would love to get started on (but doesn't every Taco owner, lol). Basically, I do the speed limit at all times, whatever it is. I use the cruise control so that the speed remains steady and not continually changing with my foot. Do not brake aggressively, always think and look ahead and don't brake at the last minute...believe it or not, this is important. Don't drive aggressively...(unless you're out in the mud or doing some off-roading).

I do regularly manage speeds of 70 mph or above, so that would be a "no" on the comatose grandma comment. That would also put my Taco at above 1k rpm's

I just drive responsibly during the work week instead of ....not paying attention, talking on my cell phone while eating another super-size meal and screaming at the kids in the back seat, running red lights and all that kind of stuff
Old 10-26-2007, 05:21 AM   #55
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
I also told him to sell you a 4cyl that got the same mileage as the V6,
I got that problem fixed.
Quote:
and told him to talk you out of the 4x4.
Now for that one, I am going to have to rip your beer arm off...
Quote:
i didnt want you to have any fun
Bastard!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #56
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Bastard!
I want a beer arm...does that come standard or is an option?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #57
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
Standard - I am right handed, so my left arm is my beer arm. The right arm is for holding the jello shakers (ndcouch knows what I mean)...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #58

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Bastard!
Fortunately when it comes to drinking im ambidextrious (sp)
Old 10-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #59

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Standard - I am right handed, so my left arm is my beer arm. The right arm is for holding the jello shakers (ndcouch knows what I mean)...
Thats classice 007! You always need your good hand for the jello
Old 10-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #60
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by argm31i View Post
It's part of the lush package.