Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Access Cab vs Double Cab

Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
lexusoftrucks is on a distinguished road
lexusoftrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Access Cab vs Double Cab

Well, I stared at it, agonized over it and even sat in the back seat myself to see if there was enough room before buying my '05 Access Cab SR5. I thought to myself, the back seats are plenty big, although I'm 5'8", I mean, how often will people sit there anyway? Well, now that I have a wife with a child on the way and spend weekends chaufferng around the in-laws, those back seats seem pretty small and here I am thinking about heading to the dealer and trading it in on a TRD Sport Double Cab. Of course that would mean taking a bath on my trade-in and having to deal with those knucklehead salesmen again, but maybe I need the full-sized back seats. Any comments out there Tacoma afficianados? Access Cab owners, what are your experiences putting full-sized adults in the back seats? By the way Webmaster, I'm not bitter about not getting my TacomaWorld sticker so no hard feelings, O.K? Keep on postin'
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
beagletee is on a distinguished road

beagletee's Tacoma Gallery
Tough decision. I have an access cab and the back seat can be small for an adult. You may need a double cab. Are there any double cabs w/o TRD pkg. but w/ SR5 pkg. That may save you a few $ if you are already losing money on the trade. Good luck! oh yea, if money is not too much a factor go for it!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusoftrucks View Post
Well, I stared at it, agonized over it and even sat in the back seat myself to see if there was enough room before buying my '05 Access Cab SR5. I thought to myself, the back seats are plenty big, although I'm 5'8", I mean, how often will people sit there anyway? Well, now that I have a wife with a child on the way and spend weekends chaufferng around the in-laws, those back seats seem pretty small and here I am thinking about heading to the dealer and trading it in on a TRD Sport Double Cab. Of course that would mean taking a bath on my trade-in and having to deal with those knucklehead salesmen again, but maybe I need the full-sized back seats. Any comments out there Tacoma afficianados? Access Cab owners, what are your experiences putting full-sized adults in the back seats? By the way Webmaster, I'm not bitter about not getting my TacomaWorld sticker so no hard feelings, O.K? Keep on postin'
We are kind of in the same boat but I really wanted to get the 4 cylinder so was stuck getting the Access cab.

Our son (13 years old) is the one that sits back there and even he complains about it.
Would be nice to have a double cab, especially with the longer bed.

For shorter trips the Access cab is usable but for a long trip it would be pretty brutal.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
LovinMyTaco07 is on a distinguished road
LovinMyTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
We've been enjoying our double cab. I have a 2 year old and another son due early April. The car seat fits in the back seat with plenty of space and my mother-in-law and wife have taken turns sitting in the back seat on road trips and they enjoy the space in the double cab. I think the double cab has more cab space, both front and back seat, then my 97 Satrun!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
topdec will become famous soon enoughtopdec will become famous soon enough
topdec's Tacoma Gallery
I too have an 07 dc lb. We had a nice 7-hour drive to Chicago (from MN) with 2 kids in the back.

I drove the long bed in downton Chicago for 2 nights and had no problems. It was New Year's to boot, so the streets were really tight.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I currently have an access cab. I had to get one because I wanted the efficiency of the 2.7L 4 cylinder engine. Most of my hauling is light loads and a 1800 pound boat+trailer that I normally tow with my wife's 06' V6 Rav4. I use her Rav4 if we have to haul people.

I am bummed that they can put a V6 in the Rav4, and it gets the same mileage (most of the time better) than my Tacoma. Yet, they can't build a 4 door Tacoma that gets that same kind of mileage.

If I had to use my truck as a people hauler, I would just have to suck it up and get the doublecab with the V6. Don't get me wrong - I would love to have that kind of power just not the MPG.

Get the doublecab if you are going to be hauling people. You won't regret it. If you won't be using it to haul people all that often, you may want to just stick with your accesscab. I know I won't be giving mine up anytime soon.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusoftrucks View Post
...I am thinking about heading to the dealer and trading it in on a TRD Sport Double Cab. Of course that would mean taking a bath on my trade-in and having to deal with those knucklehead salesmen again, but maybe I need the full-sized back seats.
If you can afford being without a vehicle for a few days, think about selling your AccessCab yourself. You will get top dollar for it that way. Tacomas are one of the few vehicles on the road with a VERY high resale value. Tacomas are investments - don't let the dealer treat you otherwise.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Hey lexusoftrucks, Let me tell you, The taco Double Cab is the way to go, I have my 03 SR5 and there is plenty of room. My 14 and 16yr old kids even put there backpacks back there.
Don't let the dealer get over on you. The Taco's are in demand and the resale is very high on them. I had a Lexus salesman bugging me to sell my taco to him. You just have to get use to the short bed.

Hey there is always e-bay
Old 01-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #9
Rigged4Ride is on a distinguished road
Rigged4Ride's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a double cab because I moved to Florida and thought of it this way...

when I lived in NYC trips where brief.. so an access cab people could deal with...

in Florida, we drive everywhere for longer distances.. so more comfort in a double cab.. I was right as I have gotten alot of compliments on the room in a double cab..

I'd take double over access anyday....
Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
When my Wife got pregnant we (with much agony) decided to trade in our '03 Xtracab for either a '05 Access cab or Double cab. I really liked the look of the Access cab but it just didn't have the room we needed and we also thought about the long term. We plan on keeping the truck for at least another 5 years so we opted for the Double cab and I have no regrets. When family comes to visit we have room to haul them around comfortably. I'm 6' and my father-inlaw is 6'4" and he fits fine in the back. Honestly go for it but like it was said try to sell it before trading it in or you will take a hit on it.

Happy Hunting.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
CasaTaco is on a distinguished road

CasaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You don't have to deal with "knucklehead salesmen" down at the dealership anymore. I went to the local toyota dealer and spoke with a salesmen yesterday on my future Taco and he gave me what I thought was a fair deal. Then when I got home I went thru the same dealer's internet department and got a better deal. Over the net they are selling Toyota's at invoice and then giving another $750.00 off of that. That sealed it for me.

CasaTaco
Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
i like the double cab better. I also have a long bed. i really started to dread owning a long bed until I had to haul both bedroom sets for my 13 and 8 year old in which they were with me during the trip. it was worth it. i love my diva truck
hope this helps....
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
Andrew83 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
Andrew83's Tacoma Gallery
Go double cab! Thats all I got to say, I love mine!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
I love my access cab for the exact reason you need to get rid of yours. I don't want to scoffer people around; my back seats are pretty much for emergency only. While I was shopping for my truck I tried out the back seat of the double cab, and at 6'4" I fit comfortably enough but wouldn't want to take too long of a trip back there (of course I feel that way about all back seats).
Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
SAM is on a distinguished road
SAM's Tacoma Gallery
lexusoftrucks,

I was in a similar boat as you this past summer. I had a 2000 Access cab and once my wife became pregnant, we realized the Access cab wasn't going to cut it when the baby arrives.

I traded in the 2000 for a 2006 Double cab and have no real regrets. We looked at the new Access Cabs (I like the looks of them better compared to Dcabs) but not enough room for car seats. You will also find that the rear seats in the Dcabs are more comfortable for passengers.

I would recommend the Dcab for your situation even if it means taking a hit on your current truck.

SAM
Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 PM   #16
Reapergm is on a distinguished road
Reapergm's Tacoma Gallery
Forget the people. The doublecab is awesome for extra room that has environment protection. Several times have I had stuff in the bed that I could put a cover over, but I have room to shove all my work stuff in the back seat, plus fit my girlfriend in the front and my roommate in the back on the way to work. Its the best!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
ImInLoveWithMyTruck has a spectacular aura aboutImInLoveWithMyTruck has a spectacular aura about
ImInLoveWithMyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't plan on kids, long road trips with 3+ people then go with the access cab. I think it just looks better than the double. If you do have a family and you do drive around all of your family/friends then go with the double. It's common sense!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #18
RAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RAPOM's Tacoma Gallery
I think kids are the big reason to get the double. My youngest is 15 and if he has to ride in the back its for short trips and if he has his PSP we could roll over and he wouln't even know. The wife and girlfriend rarely ride with me and never together LOL. I'm not asked to be a designated driver either.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
RAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPOM is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RAPOM's Tacoma Gallery
Geez, I hope I didn't scare everyone off this thread with the wife/girlfriend comment?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #20
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPOM View Post
Geez, I hope I didn't scare everyone off this thread with the wife/girlfriend comment?
nah, we are just trying to figure out if you serious...