Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.0 liter V-6 automatic - 13 - 17 mpg on dealer sticker

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
4.0 liter V-6 automatic - 13 - 17 mpg on dealer sticker

So, I'm at Fremont Toyota (which is about 2 miles from where your Tacomas are assembled) ....

I'm looking at the dealer windows tags on Prerunner V-6 automatics ... see the 16 - 20 mpg est. in big print. Then I notice finer print just to lower left ....

- average drivers will get 13 - 17 mpg -

Not sure of the exact wording, but this is what the tag said.. ooohh !

What? 13 - 17 mpg?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Something odd there. Maybe they're referring to towing? I easily get 17/22 normal driving.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Something odd there. Maybe they're referring to towing? I easily get 17/22 normal driving.
Whew, that's better.

My '88 pickup gets 17 city and it's so slow I might as well be on a moped.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
that sounds about right to me. I get anywhere between 13.5 to 16 mpg.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
I get 16 and live in the mountains if I lived on flat land mybe 17 -19 MPG
Old 02-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
That range of numbers below bold city and highway are the "MPG for most drivers will fall within this range". Obviously everyone drives in different terrain, habits, traffic, and weather, so they are giving you the range of what you may actually get.

Mines rated 15/18 now, I average 17.5 winter 19.5 summer. So I'm happy I'm at the upper end of the range.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
13/17 is tundra numbers. I know, cause i could have gotten a TRD double cab with the small v8 for the $1000 more than my PreRunner, but i didnt want shitty mileage again. I just came from a fullsize chevy.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I have gotten as high as 21, but lately i have been getting around 17. its really annoying. my driving habbits haven't changed. i can only guess its due to the winter blended gas
Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
I have gotten as high as 21, but lately i have been getting around 17. its really annoying. my driving habbits haven't changed. i can only guess its due to the winter blended gas
Ok, I'm from Florida and it gets cold here (for me that is), what the hell is winter blended gas?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
In the colder areas we get a special formulation of gasoline during the winter that evaporates faster which is supposed to make it easier to start our engines. The downside is it has about 10% less energy which hurts our MPG. I wonder if it's even needed in todays modern engines?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
In the colder areas we get a special formulation of gasoline during the winter that evaporates faster which is supposed to make it easier to start our engines. The downside is it has about 10% less energy which hurts our MPG. I wonder if it's even needed in todays modern engines?
i dunno, thats a good question. all i know is that i was getting between 18 and 21 mpg, then when it got cold i started getting 16 or 17mpg. it has sucked. i fillup when i get to 1/4 of a tank, and at this rate, i'm filling up every 220 or 230 miles
Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
I was getting around 17.5 mpg (city driving) until i put on the URD TCAI, now I get around 16 mpg. But thats cause I always floor it when I pass someone so I can hear the engine growl.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #13
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. I'm glad I didn't get a V6 then. I've been getting 23 mpg driving 80+ mph and in southern california freeway traffic. I spent this last tank trying to get good mileage by driving 55-60 freeway, drafting on semis, and not pushing hard on the pedal. I got 32 mpg mostly highway without much traffic (with rain and wet roads). That amazed the crap outta me. Way better than my GTI ever thought of getting. My only mod is that I removed the secondary air filter.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #14
knickerbocker is on a distinguished road

knickerbocker's Tacoma Gallery
my fuel economy dropped 2 or 3 mpg with the winter gas (in northeast). down from 13 or so to about 10.5 (i know, it's terrible, but it's all city driving and all short trips, 1 to 3 miles. i'd love to come even close to what any dealer sticker says).
Old 02-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #15
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
In my '07 6spd manual i've been getting about 16 right now, but i can get 17.5 with more highway. In the fall i was getting 17.5-18.5, but my truck only had about 5000 miles on it then, so im hoping that this summer i'll see it a little higher. Anyone seem to notice improvement after the first 10k or so, or am i just a wishful thinker?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 AM   #16
jns0034 is on a distinguished road
jns0034's Tacoma Gallery
I got my Taco 5-07, it has 38k miles already, (low mileage.... hahaha). I average 22 mpg, city and highway.... Im very pleased. I came from a 01 Frontier V6.... that thing sucked me dry....
Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
I was getting around 17.5 mpg (city driving) until i put on the URD TCAI, now I get around 16 mpg. But thats cause I always floor it when I pass someone so I can hear the engine growl.
Yeah, tell me about it. I think I actually black out whenever I floor it, or maybe I'm just smiling so big that my cheeks shut my eyes off.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
txtoy is on a distinguished road
txtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Part of my window sticker is missing, but under the HIGHWAY MPG 20 is "Expected range for most drivers 17 to 26 MPG". Under CITY MPG 16 is "Expected ran...(missing/torn)". I suspect that is what you saw, the expected range for most drivers (13 - 17) for CITY MPG, which 16 is within.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
The numbers are listed there due to the new regulations. Many people have complained that they're not getting the mileage that's posted on the window sticker so the other numbers are listed as a CYA for the manufactures and dealers. There have been a few lawsuits over mileage reporting by some drivers.

That said.. I commute 70 miles round trip per day to work in California commute traffic. Average between 18-20mpg if I keep my foot out of it. Just put the TRD Exhaust on last Monday as well and went through my first tank. Got 22mpg this round which is the highest I've gotten so far. Then again I just got my 60,000 mile tune up at the same time so we'll see over the next month.

Towing is another question alltogether. 8-11 towing my 5000# travel trailer.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Yeah, tell me about it. I think I actually black out whenever I floor it, or maybe I'm just smiling so big that my cheeks shut my eyes off.