1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How best to mount wheel chock?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pretzel, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Nov 19, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    pretzel

pretzel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    Hi all. Proud new owner of a 2010 Access cab here. Thanks for all the usefull information I've been gleaning off the forums for a while.

Now, I have a question. I've read the threads about installing D-rings under the front bed bolts, which I plan to do, but I also want to install a wheel chock for my street bike. Probably the Harbor Freight one. Any advise on how best to mount? I searched the forum, but didn't really come up with anything.

Thanks!

2. Nov 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Harbor freight chocks come with all the needed hardware. Just figure out where you want to mount it and drill away. Just make sure nothing important is on the other side.

3. Nov 19, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would get a large plate of like 1/4" steel or something. Use it on the underside of the bed to anchor that chock and spread the loads at the bike leans left or right...

4. Nov 19, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

5. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    pretzel

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    hmmm...this is just to keep the front wheel aligned. Most of the load will be supported by the front tie-downs. Your (good) idea is the most stable, but maybe overkill?

I was thinking of mounting the chock to a thick piece of plywood cut to fit across the bed in front of the wheel wells and with a cutout for the d-rings. This way it could be easily removed and no drilling through the bed. Sound plausible?

6. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    Notty

Notty Well-Known Member

Member:
    5Twenty
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s OME887 Deaver AAL BAMF CMC ECGS Bearing Replacement Sprint Booster
    Wow, I am currently in the same situation and considered this exact solution. If you go with the removable wood idea, please post pics and let me know how it goes!!!!!!

7. Nov 19, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    The HF version has two seperate pieces. Chock and mounting plate. The chock can be removed from the mounting plating using the bolts provided.

8. Nov 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I strap my bike down personally...No wheel chock- and I have no issues with it moving or anything. That wood idea sounds like it could work pretty well with the right fasteners....Totally gotta post up pics

9. Nov 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    pretzel

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl

will do!

10. Apr 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    pretzel

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    Sorry it took me so long to get around to this, but i finally got motivated by having to bring my bike to the shop for its checkup. Pics should be self-explanatory, but basically just moved the back stock d-rings to the front bed bolts and kept my eye out for a piece of scrap plywood (4x4x3/4) at Home Depot. The chock is from Harbor Freight bolted from the bottom (3/8 x 1 1/2 (?)) with flat washers and spring washer under nuts. I was hoping the bolt heads would line up with the ridge valleys in the bed, but instead I countersunk the bolt/washer holes on the bottom so that the plywood would sit flat (this step may not be necessary).

rbed3.jpg
    remptybed.jpg

lo2hi likes this.
  11. Apr 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    That's sharp. Throw a coat of paint on it with a TRIUMPH stencil-You'll be MONEY. Nice taste in bikes too!!

12. Apr 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    pretzel

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    Ha, thanks! That's a good idea. I'd like to waterproof it...i've got some Hammerite paint left over from another project. I wonder if it goes well on wood.

13. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    bryant8

bryant8 Active Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black Double Cab Long Bed
    TRD CAI, eBay Fog lamps, LED bed lights, 12V bed plug
    Nice work there, I had a similar set up to that when I was using the HF chocks, now I have baxleys and scrapped the HF chocks/platform set up.

14. Nov 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    pretzel

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    resurrecting an old thread here, but took your advice and finally got around to posting a pic:

the stencil bled a little, but not bad for a quick and dirty job!

tr1.jpg.jpg

lo2hi likes this.
  15. Nov 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    That looks awesome man...nice work.

16. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    blue02r1

blue02r1 tom

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    pennsylvainia
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd timberland green
    toyota hood protector, AVS vent shades, Toyota Bed Mat, TRD Catback Exhaust , K&N Intake, Tacoma Bedmat, Weathertech Mats, Extang Tuff Toneau ,Foglight Mod.
    spend the money and get a good wheel chock like a Pingel. they come with all the hardware and they are quick release . thats all i use om my bikes.

17. Mar 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    jtnyc

jtnyc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does the platform slide at all on the bed? Do you have a bed mat in between?

Good setup. I've been planning to do something similar but with the Pitbull Trailer Restraint system... Was going to use the truck bed bolts to hold the platform too but they're not long enough. Plus, there would be a gap due to the corrugations.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  18. Mar 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    pretzel

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    No, the wheel well cutouts keep it from sliding. No bed mat in-between, but wouldn't be a bad idea...I don't usually notice rattling, though, except sometimes on rough bumps.

If you wanted to bolt the plywood to the bed, I suppose you could drill through the bed in an accessible place and bolt with some large washers on the under side.

19. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    jtnyc

jtnyc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey thanks for the info. Ya, I live in NYC, so the roads here are really bad (giant pot holes, etc).

Does the HF chock clear well of the rotors?

20. Mar 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    pretzel

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 cyl
    There is enough clearance...I don't remember exactly how much. I think there is more space than appears in my photo in post #10. You can also see that it is set at the lowest height out of three possible settings, just to require less effort to roll the front wheel up.

Products Discussed in

To Top