1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

usa spec in tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NWtacoma, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Nov 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    so im reading that it continues to charge your ipod for an hour after you have turned the truck off. is there away to have it only charge when your truck is running? seems like an easy way to kill your battery :rolleyes:

2. Nov 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    I doubt that little bit of juice is going to kill the battery. I have the usa-spec in my truck and have never even worried about it killing the battery.

3. Nov 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...An hour of trickle charge to an iPod isn't going to kill your battery. Unplug it if you are really worried.

The real downside of leaving it plugged in is it may continue to play after that hour....I would find mine dead in the AM when I go to work all the time...cause my dumbass left it plugged in.

4. Nov 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    :confused: but its charging....doesnt it turn off automaticly after a while?

5. Nov 20, 2009 at 3:42 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    no i only use mine in my car so it isnt much of a problem but...unless you have an aftermarket car radio with direct connect ipod that "locks the ipod" when it is plugged in the ipod will continue to run off battery power once the car power shuts down...At least that was my experience,differnt generation ipods may differ...Every time i go out in the a.m. it is lower on power and not fully charged.

6. Nov 20, 2009 at 4:19 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've had ipod units in a couple different vehicles for the past 5 years - that do the same..... and I haven't had any battery issues at all.

I leave mine in the truck all the time (always plugged in) and I play it all the time when I'm driving. The ipod is always charged and never really needs any charging after you turn the truck off - the ipod battery is always full.

7. Nov 20, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Really? I just upgraded to a USA spec.....and mine is constantly plugged in.

What mode are you in? I wonder if there's a difference between leaving it in a certain playlist versus ipod direct mode that it'll keep playing??

I'll have to play with that and see, but I haven't had any problems with it staying on.

8. Nov 20, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I never use the Direct Mode- but I have left it in other playlist or the whole library list.

It's been about a month since I've seen my truck or played with it...but I know that my iPod would be dead in the mornings and take like 2 or 3 mins of juice before it would play.

9. Nov 20, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Weird.... When I first installed it, I did notice it wouldn't be on the same song as it was when I left. Never thought anything of it. It hasn't done that for a while though - and my ipod never got dead.

I'll play with it and see if there's any combination to that....

How old is your USA spec unit and how old is your ipod?

10. Nov 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    My iPod is HELLA old....Like 1st Gen mini. And my adapter is about a year and half old.

11. Nov 20, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2. I leave mine in all the time with no issues. Only time I take it out is in the summer time.

12. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if it has something to do with the compatibility...

I had problems with my ipod2car & the newer ipods. The click wheel wouldn't work very well at all when plugged into the unit. Something about the newer firmware.

13. Nov 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    I have 5th gen nano always plugged in, its always charged and off the next day. works great.

Products Discussed in

To Top