Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau cover installation question

Old 11-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
prsgeetarman is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
prsgeetarman's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau cover installation question

I have ordered a Access Roll Up Tonneau Cover for my Tacoma. I have not received it yet and perhaps their instructions will be written for a Tacoma but if not i have a quick question.

From my understanding the deck rail caps on the bed have to come off and then be reinstalled. I have never attempted to remove those caps? Is it held on with screws or what?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
dorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to alldorkman is a name known to all
dorkman's Tacoma Gallery
I think they are hex bit screws if I recall from doing mine, it will come with directions, and longer replacment screws.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
yeap.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
You are asking about the caps for the rails, right?

just push down on the rail caps and slide them out. I just installed my Lorado the other day.

The Larodo is the same, just sits a little lower. Took me maybe an hour, and you can do it by yourself.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009Silver View Post
You are asking about the caps for the rails, right?

just push down on the rail caps and slide them out. I just installed my Lorado the other day.

The Larodo is the same, just sits a little lower. Took me maybe an hour, and you can do it by yourself.

Yes, that does sound simple enough. Much appreciated!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #6

I need some advice.

While removing the bolts that fasten the rail channel I've managed to strip the head on one of the bolts. I used a cheap T-30 driver that did not fit well and I managed to strip the head. I since went a purchased a good T-30 driver and was able to get the remainder of the of the bolts on this driver side off except the first one that where the head is stripped.

I've tried using vise grips but since it in that channel it is hard to get a grip on it.

Any ideas on how to get this one out?
Attached Thumbnails
Tonneau cover installation question-img_3651.jpg  
Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta drill the head off and find a replacement bolt.

Or get an extractor.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #9

I made a quick trip up to auto zone and got an extractor. It worked like a charm. thanks guys
Old 11-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
vtguy is on a distinguished road
vtguy's Tacoma Gallery
Screw removal

Don't beat yourself up over using a cheap tool... my Snapon T-30 stripped 2 of them. I'm guessing your stripped one is on the driver's side? I bet the guy/gal on that side of the assembly line over tightens them!

Anyway, I took a cut-off wheel and channeled a flat cut mid-way through the bolt head... then took a very large, flat head screwdriver and carefully undid both. The advantage to a large screwdriver is that it makes contact for the whole width of the bolt head and you get leverage.

The frustrating thing about these is that the c-channel shape of the railing makes it impossible to grasp with vise-grips, channel-locks, etc.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsgeetarman View Post
I have ordered a Access Roll Up Tonneau Cover for my Tacoma. I have not received it yet and perhaps their instructions will be written for a Tacoma but if not i have a quick question.

From my understanding the deck rail caps on the bed have to come off and then be reinstalled. I have never attempted to remove those caps? Is it held on with screws or what?

Thanks in advance
If you need help installing it.... there are several good tips for installation on that thread.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...118926&page=12

By deck rail caps do you mean the pieces on the top of the bed sides? Those do not have to come off. Just the tie down rails - that the cleats go into, come off.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
blendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blendedfamily's Tacoma Gallery
A bit off topic from the install, but I just got my Lund Genesis soft top and went to install it. There is a rail piece which mounts between the bed and cab, and is the basis for mounting the cover. The bolts provided with the kit, (which were specific for the Taco), were about an inch too long. Of course, assuming that the kit was engineered for the truck, nothing was wrong. To make a long story short, the bolt nearly drove through the mounting rail for the die downs, dimpled it out about 1/8", and then snapped off. No way of backing it out because it wedged itself into the rail. So, it's time to get an extractor.

Just a heads up if you use this kit, you may need to get your own bolts....

This can't be the case for all these kits... Think it's possible that somebody dropped the wrong bolts into the baggie?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #13

Yes, I stripped the one of the ones on the drivers side; I've got all kinds of excuses (cheap tool, listening to football game, etc). The extractor worked well though. Although I never want to use it on a new truck again.

And yes ImpulseRed008 I wasn't thinking clearly, I see now that it was the just the tie down rails that had to come off and thanks for that toyotanation link that came in handy!

Hopefully tomorrow I will put on the Pop N Lock.

Products Discussed in this Thread