Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buzzing noise from behind glove box

Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
trd taco guy is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
trd taco guy's Tacoma Gallery
Buzzing noise from behind glove box

So i took my truck to the dealership to get this issue addressed and alot of good that did. So I have this annoying buzzing/rattling noise coming from behind the glove box. I took it to the dealer and after taking to reps for rides with the noise pretty clearly happening both reps said they can't hear it. Finally got a mechanic in for a ride and he heard exactly what I was hearing (glad to hear I'm not crazy and hearing things no one else was hearin) the noise is pretty constant around 1000-1500 rpm range under light acceleration. After riding with him a bit and after he tookthe whole glove box apart he was able to make the noise go away by moving some wires and other things around a bit.
Long story short the noise is back the next day I don't have the time right now to just leave the truck at The stealership again I'm just gonna fix it myself. But has anyone ever come accross this issue? Maybe know which wire is vibrating back there? If so please let me know it would save me a bunch of time and agrevation I can see in my near furute. I'm really getting tired of listening to my truck buzz while I drive starting to think quality on certain things with Toyota is going down hill never had these issues with my 2000 taco or my 05 pr 09 silverado. Had a bunch of little issues with my taco so far and I have only owned it for a few months
Old 11-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
DO what he did....Take the glove box out...Go for a ride with a friend. Bring some zip ties, electricians tape, and a flashlight.

Have your passenger move stuff around until the buzz goes away and then secure everything in place.

And dude- It's a buzzing wire or clip...Not a "quality issue" imo. Sometimes things get bent a different way or whatever...It shouldn't take by 20 mins to track the sound and fix it...
Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
jaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud ofjaws revenge has much to be proud of
jaws revenge's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i had the same thing, and did the same thing about it. that buzzing sound is a little irratating, but its the wires behind the glove box.

one comment though, putting the damper back can be a pita. some people put a screw throught it to 'tighten' it up.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
tntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud of

Army: rangers all the way
tntacoma's Tacoma Gallery

one comment though, putting the damper back can be a pita. some people put a screw throught it to 'tighten' it up.[/quote]

Exactly what I had to do!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I took a piece of cardboard and folded it up real small. Inserted it between the forks where the damper connects. (after the damper was on). For me, I found from removing it those forks kinda got pushed together and never regained thier shape. That cardboard spreads them out good so it never comes off.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
I plan on fixing it myself was just askin if anyone might have narrowed it down to where it was comin from just to save time. Idk but when I buy a new vehicle I don't expexct to have to deal with vibration noises right from the start not toention the radio that had to be replaced the rear spring issue that had to be replaced if u want to use ur truck for a truck plastic on the inside scratches like crazy stuff that doesn't light up at night paint that sux just to name a few. Don't get me wrong I love this truck but just alot of minor issues that are starting to get on my nerves. My truck has been in the shop more for issues then it has for maintence.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
drjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
drjohnson36's Tacoma Gallery
Remove your glove box and you'll see a collection of wires. The culprit is a loose piece of insulation over a small set of wires towards the left side of the compartment, shown in the center of this picture.

Grab some electrical tape, and tape both ends of this insulation to secure it in place. It's easier if you unplug the wires before taping, just remember to plug it back in.

Put everything back together, reattach the mini-shock, and take it for a test drive.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
^^^Thanks! I am going to try this. I have the same annoying buzz!
Old 11-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
Equipment MFG
AlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura about

Army: Former 92Y Unit Supply
AlerAero's Tacoma Gallery
Finaly an answer the the friggen anoying noise!!!! I've been trying to find it but had no luck! And Now I'll grab my tape, and attack it. lol!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
I see I'm not the only one but it's not a "quality issue"
Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Equipment MFG
AlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura aboutAlerAero has a spectacular aura about

Army: Former 92Y Unit Supply
AlerAero's Tacoma Gallery
Yes and No. Kinda just another oversite! they needed to protect the wires but never thought that it would/could rattel or make a noise!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
To much plastic in todays vehicles, speaking of rattles, I had one in the upper left side of my dash. Thought it was change vibrating around in that little PITA box by my left knee, nope not the change..it the box itself. Don't know what to do to fix it....so I removed it!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks you guys i've had this same issue and it gets real old real fast. Thanks for the pic too that is really helpful
Old 11-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
BrandonTorgerson is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
BrandonTorgerson's Tacoma Gallery
YYYYEEESSSSS!!!! sOOOo im not crazy!!! hahah the same efing buzzing sound ... so the tape should work eh? awesome! ill give it a try!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #15
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same noise and mine ended up being the where the air intake goes into the fender.Put some weatherstripping around the intake where it meets the fender and it took care of it.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job. Anyone have an idea how to fix that rattle in the setbelt holder on the access cabs?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
bluecluee is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
bluecluee's Tacoma Gallery
I had this exact same issue and it plagued me for months. I tried taping the wire wrap but nothing seemed to work. I finally took an old T-Shirt and wrapped it around the wires so that they couldn't touch any of the metal pieces behind the glove box. I have been free of the annoying sound for around 4 weeks now. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Cwhitt09taco will become famous soon enoughCwhitt09taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cody
Cwhitt09taco's Tacoma Gallery
i will attempt to fix it!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
llcreel46 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
llcreel46's Tacoma Gallery
09 with a rattle(like metal hitting metal) on the passenger side. It happens when I go over rough road, which is alot, and have prodded, insulated, and poked and it will not go away. When it is rattles, I can push a little to the left and about 8 to 10 inches up from the glove box and it stops. I have an appointment with the dealer Monday and hope they can find it, if not I am taking the *&%(*& thing apart and attack it.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
jabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of light

jabrackin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jabrackin
I found that it was a metal brackett that held the wires going from the engine to run into the fire wall. I bent the brackeet up and put tension on the wires and I didn't have any issues with the noise while it was cold. However, since it has been warm the last 2 days, I have heard the noise again. I may get out tommorrow and trying to push around on the brackett again to see if I can find the solution.