Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Will 17in. wheel and tires fit on a stock 08 Prerunner?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
ERdept [OP] ERdept is offline
Senior Member
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
Joined: Oct 2007, #3187
Location: Kali
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 996
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Will 17in. wheel and tires fit on a stock 08 Prerunner?

I posted this on TN but no one could answer.

Can 17inch wheels and the tires that go with them fit on the Toy, Tacoma, TRD Prerunner, w/o any rubbing issues?

And, will it raise the truck any if they do fit?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jhodge83's Avatar
Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
Joined: Apr 2007, #1432
Location: Moncks Corner, SC
Age: 31
Gender: Guy
Posts: 25,404
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the sport comes w/ 17" rims....so it depends on the backspacing and the tire size
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
rick's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2007, #993
Location: clearwater, fla
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,476
rick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
the sport comes w/ 17" rims....so it depends on the backspacing and the tire size
+1
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
ERdept [OP] ERdept is offline
Senior Member
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
Joined: Oct 2007, #3187
Location: Kali
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 996
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know what that means to me. This is just info at this point, but how do I know if 17 inch tires and wheels fit?

I appreciate the info so far.

I just don't know how to apply this to my truck. What do I do?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough
 
pb2themax's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2006, #500
Posts: 386
pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
You mean, can 17" TRD wheels replace your 16" wheels?

Yes they can. All Toyota 6 lug wheels can be swapped.

What size are your current tires? What size tires are on the 17" wheels you're looking at?

16" wheels is the smallest you can fit on a 6 lug truck.

I think 15" wheels will fit on 5 lug Tacomas, because they have slightly smaller brake calipers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
ERdept [OP] ERdept is offline
Senior Member
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
Joined: Oct 2007, #3187
Location: Kali
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 996
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 266/70/16 tires currently on the truck. So, I assume it's a 16 in wheel.

So a 17 inch wheel will fit on it, but with a larger tire, will it rub on the fender?

Also, I don't really know what tires fit on the 17 inch wheel. Will a larger tire lift the truck about 1 inch?

Can you suggest a tire that will fit on the 17 inch wheel and take a larger tire?

AND

Will this larger tire and wheel combo work on the truck W/O any problems?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
maverick491's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2007, #1462
Location: South Jersey
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I have the 266/70/16 tires currently on the truck. So, I assume it's a 16 in wheel.

So a 17 inch wheel will fit on it, but with a larger tire, will it rub on the fender?

Also, I don't really know what tires fit on the 17 inch wheel. Will a larger tire lift the truck about 1 inch?

Can you suggest a tire that will fit on the 17 inch wheel and take a larger tire?

AND

Will this larger tire and wheel combo work on the truck W/O any problems?
Let me see if I've got all this....

You have a set of 265/70 r16's now. and want to go to 17" wheels and get an inch of overall lift on the truck without touching the suspension or trimming the fenders.

Atleast I think that is what you are asking.

The short answer is no. The general consensus is you can go up one tire size without a lift and without any rubbing issues. So if you just changed tires on your current 16" wheels you could go to 265/75 r16.

Or you could use TRD sport 17" wheels with 265/70 r17 tires.

In either case you have gone from roughly a 30.5 inch tall tire to a 31.5 inch tall tire, or a roughly 1 inch difference in tire size, but that is one inch diameter, and you're only getting the "lift" of the radius of the tire so by changing your tires and or tires and wheels the best you can do is a half inch change in the ride height before lifting the suspension or trimming the fenders.

As for what 17" rims you can choose from, I'll leave that question more for the wheel and tire guys as I really don't know what aftermarket wheels will maintain the correct backspacing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough
 
pb2themax's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2006, #500
Posts: 386
pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
^Yup.

The stock wheels have 5.5" backspace. With aftermarket wheels and bigger tires you usually want the wheels to stick out about inch more than the stock wheels for a sportier look, which would be 4.5" of backspace, which is what I have on my truck. I have 17" wheels too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
CNW CNW is offline
Senior Member
CNW will become famous soon enough
 
CNW's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2007, #3362
Location: Colorado Rockies
Gender: Male
Posts: 110
CNW's Tacoma Gallery
17 inchers

My DC TRD 4x4 came with 17 inch wheels OEM. Lots of room. No rubbing. I put chrome wheels, but stayed the same size.

Craig
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
CNW CNW is offline
Senior Member
CNW will become famous soon enough
 
CNW's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2007, #3362
Location: Colorado Rockies
Gender: Male
Posts: 110
CNW's Tacoma Gallery
PS

BTW you can check out my photos.

Craig
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
ERdept [OP] ERdept is offline
Senior Member
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
Joined: Oct 2007, #3187
Location: Kali
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 996
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Let me see if I've got all this....

You have a set of 265/70 r16's now. and want to go to 17" wheels and get an inch of overall lift on the truck without touching the suspension or trimming the fenders.

Atleast I think that is what you are asking.

The short answer is no. The general consensus is you can go up one tire size without a lift and without any rubbing issues. So if you just changed tires on your current 16" wheels you could go to 265/75 r16.

Or you could use TRD sport 17" wheels with 265/70 r17 tires.

In either case you have gone from roughly a 30.5 inch tall tire to a 31.5 inch tall tire, or a roughly 1 inch difference in tire size, but that is one inch diameter, and you're only getting the "lift" of the radius of the tire so by changing your tires and or tires and wheels the best you can do is a half inch change in the ride height before lifting the suspension or trimming the fenders.

As for what 17" rims you can choose from, I'll leave that question more for the wheel and tire guys as I really don't know what aftermarket wheels will maintain the correct backspacing.

OK, this pretty much answers my question perfectly.

Let me reiterate. I know is sounds childish, but I just want to be sure I understand.

I can do one of two things that won't interfere with rubbing:

1. I can put on a 17 inch wheel and the larger tire that goes with it, such as a 265/70/17.

2. Or, I can stay same size wheel I have currently and put on a taller tire such as the 265/75/16.

Is this correct?

Also the increase in the height of the vehicle will be 1/2 inch, if that?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
maverick491's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2007, #1462
Location: South Jersey
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
OK, this pretty much answers my question perfectly.

Let me reiterate. I know is sounds childish, but I just want to be sure I understand.

I can do one of two things that won't interfere with rubbing:

1. I can put on a 17 inch wheel and the larger tire that goes with it, such as a 265/70/17.

2. Or, I can stay same size wheel I have currently and put on a taller tire such as the 265/75/16.

Is this correct?

Also the increase in the height of the vehicle will be 1/2 inch, if that?
You got it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
Junior Member
Red-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shedRed-Paint is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Feb 2008, #4729
Posts: 10
Red-Paint's Tacoma Gallery
Just my 2 cents (1st post)

I have a new 08 Prerunner.Wanted the biggest tire I could fit on the stock wheel.I buy alot of tires from Discount Tire.They took the time to mount and test fit a Michelin LTX M/S 275/70/16.Its big and looks great,rides great. Only 300 miles but does not rub at all.No lift or spacers. David I will up load a photo if someone wants.But I will need to weight for one of my kids to come home to do it for me... .Now I know why I had kids.All this stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
maverick491's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2007, #1462
Location: South Jersey
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Paint View Post
I have a new 08 Prerunner.Wanted the biggest tire I could fit on the stock wheel.I buy alot of tires from Discount Tire.They took the time to mount and test fit a Michelin LTX M/S 275/70/16.Its big and looks great,rides great. Only 300 miles but does not rub at all.No lift or spacers. David I will up load a photo if someone wants.But I will need to weight for one of my kids to come home to do it for me... .Now I know why I had kids.All this stuff
Mounted and inflated that is a 31.3" tall tire, and it is 11.1" wide.

While it is not quite half an inch wider than a 265/75/r16, it is about a half inch shorter, and I believe that the original poster was more concerned about height than width, but thank you. This is good information for anyone who is looking for a wider tire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
ERdept [OP] ERdept is offline
Senior Member
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
Joined: Oct 2007, #3187
Location: Kali
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 996
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Mounted and inflated that is a 31.3" tall tire, and it is 11.1" wide.

While it is not quite half an inch wider than a 265/75/r16, it is about a half inch shorter, and I believe that the original poster was more concerned about height than width, but thank you. This is good information for anyone who is looking for a wider tire.

Thanks for lookin out bro.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
ROLLIN ON RUST
senor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
senor taco's Avatar
Name: Steve
Joined: Jan 2009, #12330
Location: Monterey Bay, Ca
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,341
senor taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 pre runner w/o a lift and I just put 17in fj cruiser wheels with 265/70/17 and no rubbing at all. hope it helps
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
genxer36's Avatar
Name: Sean
Joined: Nov 2007, #3442
Location: Bethlehem,GA
Age: 46
Gender: Dude
Posts: 10,664
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I have 20's w/o a lift on my truck with out rubbing. So 17's should be fine.

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #18
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jhodge83's Avatar
Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
Joined: Apr 2007, #1432
Location: Moncks Corner, SC
Age: 31
Gender: Guy
Posts: 25,404
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
and only a year late on these last 2 posts....should have made him wait for the info...lol
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will BFG MTs KM2s fit on a 17in wheel with stock suspension? ToyotaKTMracing 2nd Gen. Tacomas 15 10-26-2011 05:24 PM
will tundra wheels fit my 08 prerunner? TacoFMS Wheels & Tires 4 08-01-2010 10:56 AM
Will the 09 TRD wheels/tires fit on my 08 Prerunner? bryant8 Wheels & Tires 4 04-25-2010 10:42 PM
what are the biggest tires i can fit on my stock prerunner that wont rub? jake slatnick 2nd Gen. Tacomas 5 11-01-2009 07:17 PM
Will the TRD tires/wheels fit on the stock prerunner? Maple85 Wheels & Tires 6 03-14-2009 08:21 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.