1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soliciting advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by steviestyles, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Feb 24, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    She's off of S Coles Ave. It's a nice area; my buddy used to have a house there when he was married (see what NJ does to you? lol). Hey, what's the name of that pizza place/restaurant in town there? That's where we had her rehearsal dinner in Oct. I have so many ties to that area: grandparents in Moorestown; parents and aunt/uncles wedding reception at Lenola fire hall, and I've been to multiple weddings at the church there in Maple Shade.

2. Feb 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles [OP] The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I appreciate all the replies. Here's the thing, around here something like a used 2000/2001 civic or corolla go for 8K-9K with over 100K miles. Civics prior to 2003 normally require a timing chain replacement around that mileage. I don't want to buy a money pit. There are also a lot of salvaged repaired Corollas and Civics for around $6K, hell it is New Jersey. I thought about going that route so in a couple of years, I can get most of my money back from resale. Again my main concern is my primary form of transportation needs to be the reliable one since I'll be putting over 400 miles a week on it. I really can't rely on something with 1xxK miles to be failproof. As mentioned by some earlier, I can save my truck from miles by driving a beater and parking the truck. Based on the driving I do, I probably put 18K-20K miles a year. I also can't personally justify buying a beater and having a $30K vehicle sitting around not being used. It's not like we're driving collectors cars that warrant being parked and never driven. I buy cars to use, not preserve. I'm a big believer that you get what you pay for; a $6K car is going to be just that. I'm sure that there are some great reliable cheap cars out there, but it's hit or miss finding one. I had a coworker drop $3K on a 1996 Nissan Altima as a second car. He purchased the car from a Nissan dealer and the car was a one owner trade in; two months later the car blows the head gasket and the block is cracked. It's out of warranty and my cowoorker is out $3K. I keep thiniking if I was to drop $xK on a beater, I could just use the funds I would of used to purchase the beater to pay for gas. In reality, it takes awhile for a vehicle to pay for itself when you factor in purchase price, insurance, and maintenance costs. I figure it would take between 3-4 years for a $5K beater to pay off over just continuing to drive my truck as my dd. I know my situation will definitely change by then. Also, a beater is going to require maintenance more so than a new vehicle which is why I really don't like buying used cars. So if my primary need for a vehicle is to travel 60 mile roundtrip 5 days a week, then why shouldn't I get something new/newer and get the beater truck for the few times I need the truck not vice versa? I know a lot of us here love our trucks and trust me I do to, thats why I haven't pulled the trigger yet; when I asked the same question on a Honda forum, all the Accord/Civic owners were saying get rid of the truck, get a new/newer accord and a beater truck. I think it's funny how loyal people are to their cars.

3. Feb 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock

Is she over there by that drive up Ice Cream place? I like Maple Shade, it's really quiet; surprisingly since it's nestled between two major roads (38 and 73) but it's central to everything, just not my work :(. I think it's a fair trade-off. Are you talking about that Italian Restaraunt near the Post Office on main st? I haven't eaten there yet but have always meant to. I think that's the restaraunt you're referring to.

4. Feb 24, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I know what you're going through. My wife and I needed a second car. She wanted to go used (cheaper, blah blah blah). Problem is they AREN'T cheaper! Sure you get it for a few K instead 20-30K, but then there's maintenance. This goes, that goes, it's leaking oil, is it reliable? F-that!! Hell, even used tacoma's were only a few K less than the brand new I bought so she came around finally. Especially when I told her (in no uncertain terms!) I was NOT buying a car I needed to work on!

Now we have old work friends bouncing from 1 $500 car to the next because this one needs $1000 to pass inspection, this one needs 3x the money put into it than it cost, that one just died.... It never ends with them! I gave the wife a ride to work 5 days/week for over a month while they were between cars. My inlaws are in the same boat now. A 94 Pontiac with 100+k on it needing all sorts of work and inspections done by "a friend of a friend", and a 2001 Dodge Ram. The Ram has needed a new speed sensor (speedo and odo didn't work), starter or starter solenoid, and something with the 4wd transfer case (gear, chain, I dunno). In total at least $1500 worth of repairs. She's unemployed, he barely makes minimum wage driving school bus, and their neighbor drags his feet doing repairs he promised to do. So I've been picking up his slack with a mechanic buddy (I'm no mechanic, but can figure crap out).

I've been out of work since October so I've also helped said friend work on 5 different trucks and cars. Needless to say I'm TIRED of fixing shit, and thank god none of them were DD's.

Older cars (especially with places like NY and probably NJ) that salt the roads are a pain in the ASS to work on. Even if you can get the parts cheap, it can be a real bitch replacing them. Stripping threads, snapping bolts, etc. If you don't have a torch, welder, spare bolts, and a full mechanic's set forget about it! (especially since you are trying to save money and probably won't pay someone else to do the work)

I would sit down and figure out how much another car would cost (cost of vehicle, insurance, registration, inspection fees, plus commonly needed parts and gas for the same commute). Then see if it's less than what you pay in gas now.

Personally, I live with the high cost of gas and truck payment knowing a few things.
    1. This sumbitch WORKS!!! It's starts and runs EVERY time. Don't need no work, don't need to add oil, don't need to wonder what's gonna break next
    2. I trust it with my wife and kids. I know they'll get where they are going and not have problems (Refer to number 1! :D )
    3. It's a truck. If I need to haul something, it's there. I don't need to rent one or find a friend/family member to help me out. (which is anywhere from a pain in the ass to impossible sometimes)
    4. Again, truck. 4wd. Snow ain't stopping me! :D
    I'd thought about selling the truck too when money was tight and I was spending $500+ per month on gas. Now we have a house and once a month I buy a pallet of pellets to heat the house. That's 50x40lb bags. How would I get that home without a truck? Tractor Supply doesn't deliver, and I have yet to find anyone online selling them with freight delivery. So I need a truck at least once a month now. Not to mention the trips to that buddy's house with half the tools in my barn in the back. Those seem to happen 3-4x per month now. Wife and 3 kids also means I've packed groceries from the tailgate to the cab several times.

Look at where you'll be in a few years.
    • Own a house yet? If not, plan on it? Need to move your stuff, buy repair/renovating/building materials? (we did and still do) If not, do you really NEED a truck?
    • Can you move closer to work or work closer to home? We did that, and I see you're stuck for the moment, but how long? A couple more years then move or change jobs?
    • I know the military does housing compensation. What about gas or use some of the money for gas? Or even mileage reimbursement. That might help some. Especially if they dictate where you must like and work.
    • Wife have a shorter commute so you could rotate vehicles to save some gas?
    It's a lot to think about, but try to plan for where you'll be in 5 years. I'll shut up now. :laugh:

5. Feb 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    I went to an auction and bought a 1997 honda civic for $1650 bucks I was worried buying a car at an auction with 237,000 miles on it however one cv axle a set of plugs a stereo sysytem some stainless exhaust and rims its like a kids car love it can get as much as 38 mpg but I usually average just over 30 with my foot in it . the car has been flawless and the mileage is awesome dont be afraid of a high mileage honda .Although I must say I am usually driving my tacoma anyway regardless of the gas mileage LOL I love my truck !

6. Feb 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Whoa! Too many words in this thread for me to read, so I'll give my advice, it has probably been stated but I didn't bother reading all the posts. But maybe you should get a taco 4 banger reg cab, that might be a nice tradeoff.

7. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:00 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    I traded in an '05 VW GTI for my Tacoma for a few reasons. I loved the speed and handling of that GTI, that's about it. It got 27 MPG but required premium (running regular dropped the performance and MPG down to about 24 MPG). It broke way too much (I had months where the repair parts were more than the payment). I drive 600 miles a week commuting. When trade in value was above what I owed I traded it in.

Reasons I got my Tacoma (instead of a frontier, ranger, colorado, dakota, etc):
    1. A truck was very beneficial for hobbies and chores and occasionally work.
    2. It gets 25+ MPG (better than most)
    3. My payments and insurance went way down.
    4. It uses regular gas.
    5. Parts are cheaper.
    6. It's a Toyota so I won't have to fix it so much if ever.
    7. I'm 6'3" and fat so a mid-sized truck fits me better than a compact truck.
    8. The plastic bed with rails is better than other's beds IMO.

So I had reasons, and I have come out ahead. My gas bill is about the same, but I save with a payment and insurance. If you have times where you're glad you have a truck but don't really need the higher gas costs get an access cab 5-lug you'll have room in back for kids (while they're younger) have a 4-banger so you get good MPG (up there with a camry) and you have a truck for when you need it. My dad got his first pick-up in 1995 and won't buy a car for his commute anymore. He drives 50 miles each way but prefers having a truck over a car. He uses it as a "real truck" about once a month at most. So ask yourself what you really need and what you'd miss. That's the best thing to do.

8. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Yeah, that's it, by the post office. I'll tell you one thing about living away from there: I freaking miss WaWa.

Am I right in assuming you're at Maguire? If so, that is a long drive every day.

Now there's a man with his feet firmly on the ground. That gave me a good laugh because I'm 6' 235lbs (freaking winter has put another 10lbs on me) and there's no way in hell I'd fit in something smaller.

9. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:07 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    ^parts cheaper? :laugh:

It's a toyota. The parts cost an arm and a leg. You just don't replace them often!

Take my Corolla for example. I need a new exterior door handle. $95 from the dealer!! Starter? $300. I got a used one for $50, and now I need to hit the junk yards again for a door handle.

10. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:07 PM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Pierce Tiger,

Good Post. I did buy a house this past August, so in many senses, moving really isn't an option. I wouldn't even consider it. I'm not sure about the part of NY you're from, but I'm sure NY like Jersey has high property taxes, and the market hasn't gone down eventhough houses aren't selling. The area I'm at is really the best area that I could afford. You're right, the military does provide money for housing, but does not reimburse for commuting to work, and based on the rate I receive is why I live where i live. No coworkers live out my way so carpooling isn't an option either. There is no public transportation that heads out to where i work. Public Transportation in our country is severly lacking. Unlike some people, I would rather live in the nicest area I could then drive a really expensive car. The area around the base I'm stationed it is expensive, mostly because they charge for the convenience of living near base, Heck the closest real town to the base is 15 miles away.

Like you, I use my truck approx once a month, but i like having the availabity of a truck when the need arises. I just hate having to ask a coworker "Hey can you pick up a bbq grill for me and deliver it to my house" I would rather just have my own truck. The need does pop up here and there, but I'm sure 80% of the members here at TW use their trucks more often. I too like having 4wd for the snow days, but we haven't had a lot this year. My truck has been reliable and steadfast each and everytime I needed it to be. The wife drives a Chevy Equinox which gets slightly better mileage, but not by much so swapping vehicles wouldn't help. Her commute isn't as much as mine but it close to 20 miles. We have the Squeakinox as I call it for our dog. It's just easier to take the dog places in that instead of a car; not to mention she had the car before we met. My reasons for buying the truck last year has changed. I no longer have the motorcycle. I also bought the truck anticipating having a greater need for it being a new homeowner. I would say three month after moving in, the need has subsided quite a bit. I think that's one of the main reasons I'm even contemplating getting rid of the truck, it's i'm not using the truck like I thought i'd be. In 5 years, who knows where I'll be. Being in the military makes long term planning a lot more difficult. I will say this I'm lucky Jersey has some of the lowest gas prices in the country.

11. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    NJ = highest property taxes in the country. My parents pay $1000/month, no lie. Yeah, nice size house in Shamong but still. I paid $469 this year.

12. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:21 PM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I love WaWa. They definitely need to open them throughout the country. I know exactly which restaraunt you're talking about, but I can't remember the name. Yes I work at McGuire. It takes me 35-45 minutes sometimes an hour to make it to work. It's a drive, but if you're fluent with the area, there's not a whole hell of a lot near McGuire. Mt Holly is the closest real town and that's still 15 miles away, and then you have Trenton/Bordentown. Both areas are wdefinitely worse than Maple Shade. I'd ratehr drive further and live in a nicer area, then be close and lve in a crap area. Heck who wants to live next to an Air Force base.

I'm 6'2 225 pounds, so fitting in a compact isn't for me either. "Fat man in a little car!" For those of you that mentioned I should get a 4cyl reg cab or access cab. I've thought about it. I'd def get a 4wd becasue we normally get snow, but at that point I don't think I'll be saving much in fuel costs even with a 4 banger. I've hears some get mid 20's in there 4 bangers, and some only get 18 which is what I'm getting now. It would be a lateral move in my eyes.

13. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Yeah I pay $4800 a year :( At least in California where the taxes are high, you're in California. Jersey is still Jersey...lol

14. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    lawnrevenge

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Toyota parts expensive?????????
    Check out parts prices on a MK4 VW GTI. When I put a crack in my cast aluminum oil pan (dumb ass engineers) it cost me near $600 to
    replace and I had to use their special sealant to make sure it didn't leak. (people on VW forums had used silicone and it leaked a week later) Every time something broke I ended up paying more than my payment since my warranty was out after 30K miles ($425 a month) I traded it in at two years with 62K miles, It had warped two sets of front rotors and was warping the new ones, warped one set of rears, blown it's turbo, had it's entire ignition system replaced (coil packs are expensive) broke it's oil pan on a rock in the road, had it's brake light switch fail making the car nearly un-drivable, And was going through 17" tires in 25K mile intervals. The turbo was acting up again and it was soon due for a timing belt replacement (which requires removing the right fender). That turbo would heat soak in no time in the city or rush hour traffic.

15. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Steviestyles,

We just bought a house to so I know about moving. Even now that I've been out of work for 3 months and thinking I should've move somewhere with more computer support jobs BEFORE we bought the house. We've had to make changes to our budget to get by even when I was working. Price of gas, heating oil, car repairs (Corolla need a bit of work), insurance, etc. Now that I'm out of work and my wife is too things have been even tighter.

Are you at risk of losing anything or just trying to cut down the gas bill?

You can deduct mileage, gas, repair bills associated with work if your employer doesn't reimburse you. That might help some. Save the receipts and deduct them all from your taxes. I tried that this year with turbo tax. I didn't have all the receipts so I had to guess and it wanted a LOT of info (miles driven for work, value of car, percent used for work, etc).

I'm in the same boat as far as public transportation too. Not available or going where I need to go. We had to apply for various public aid services because I was denied unemployment at first.

Beyond that I keep a tight budget with MS Money (only good program by them IMO), and try to squirrel away cash to savings accounts when possible.

16. Feb 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    lawnrevenge

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah...It's sunny...that's about it. I'm planning on moving as soon as I can in about two years. We have to deal with Hollywood and San Francisco, have pity. I hate it here! They'll be raising taxes again since our legislators can't seem to stop spending our tax dollars faster than we pay them. We have 3 million illegal aliens clogging our roads and taking our jobs. We pay more for gas and our jobs don't pay enough for cost of living. Around here a 1500 sq.ft. home in a bad neighborhood is $200,000+ A nice neighborhood is much more. I'd sooner shovel snow and have to wear a heavy jacket while living in a nice house with a reasonable cost of living then spend another moment in this state.

17. Feb 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    My '99 Tacoma Limited only had 59,000 miles when I sold it. I drive a '93 Accord to work and errands. I let it take the door dings and save on it's better gas mileage.
    The truck is for the to little free time. Vacations, hunting, shooting events, ect.
    I might add that a Tacoma with only 7,000 miles a year average on it will sell for top dollar to the first person that looks at it when you do decide to sell. They really hold value anyway.

18. Feb 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM
    TacoSter

TacoSter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
    Been here done it and back
    Had a truck, got sick of gas... bought a new civic, an old ford ranger
    ... every time I needed the truck got sick of shagging after it... then sitting here paying 70 a month insurance on something I drove 1 day a week... traded both and back in (1) truck...
    I couldnt really handle the lil cars after driving trucks for yrs
    Also with Chicago pot holes this yr cuase the snow... cars are getting killed! the taco rolls right over them :)

19. Feb 25, 2008 at 2:53 AM
    steviestyles

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Pierced,

Luckily for me money isn't tight. It just doesn't sit well with my monthly gas bill. My wife has a decent job, and with me being in the military, I'm guranteed a job and a salary for the duration of my enlistment. With my commute and fuel cost associated with said commute, I just figured it was wise to re evaluate my need for a truck.

Lawnrevenge, I grew up California so I know where you are coming from. I have no intentions of moving back either. I pay $4800 a year in property taxes to live in NJ. I think I would feel better paying those taxes if I lived in CA not NJ. NJ is the armpit of America. Housing costs between the 2 states are about the same.

TacoSter, I'm afraid I'll do exactly as you did. Thanks for the inputs. There aren't many people who will come back to a car forum and admit to everyone it was a mistake that they got rid of their previous car to get something else. I was surprised when I bounced between here, the Corolla, Camry and Accord Forums how many people were selling their cars and going to a truck.

20. Feb 25, 2008 at 5:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's OK that you're looking for oppinions and options.

If it were me - I'd buy a beater econo car and keep the truck.

However - if you sit down and compare all the costs involved to buy a secondary vehicle and/or even trade the truck in and get another one. Is it really worth the effort than to just keep your truck and drive it?
    ....Cost of vehicles, cost of insurance, cost of gas, cost of maintenance, etc.

When you compare all that - does it really and truely save you anything in the cost of higher gas prices? And is it even worth going through the effort?

Products Discussed in

To Top