Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

flow master vs magna flow mufflers

Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
jake slatnick is on a distinguished road
Name: jake
jake slatnick's Tacoma Gallery
flow master vs magna flow mufflers

so tomorrow i plan on getting a new muffler on my truck. my two options are magna flow and flow master. there about the same price so no problems there, but which do i chose?

i really just want my truck to sound good. it doesn't have to be really all that loud, but enough to hear (and sounds great) when im driving down the road.

which do you guys think is the better one to go with?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
magnaflow will have a nice deep tone with very little rasp if any. I personally hate flowmaster on our trucks. They all have a tin can sound.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
I have the Magnaflow catback exhaust system and have no complaints so far. It sounds perfect.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
i did a custom true dual exhaust with some thrush mufflers. $30 a piece + some $1/ft tubing + a pair of O2 bungs = cheaper than a single flowmaster
Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
go with the flow!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
im getting flowmaster 50 installed for 200 dollars is that a good deal ... ??
Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the flowmaster 40 series. I have not heard how a magna flow will sound but the flowmaster is in my opinion too loud at certain rpms. Usually around 1800rpm and then again at around 2400 rpms the resonance inside the cabin is too loud (In my opinion).

Don't get me wrong, i love the sound the flowmaster makes. It's a loud, throaty muscle sound when you open that throttle but when i'm trying to cruise or creep up somewhere, it can be too loud. If you want it to sound deep and throaty, i say go for the Flowmaster. I have no experience whatso ever with the magna flow though.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
ROLLIN ON RUST
senor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
senor taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I have Flowmaster (50) dual exits... sounds great to me!
X2, somtimes I wish I just kept it stock though.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
flowmaster is junk compared to magnaflow.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

.... care to elaborate??
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitytaco View Post
flowmaster is junk compared to magnaflow.
couldn't have said it better myself. After being around both, I'll never go to a FM again. Mine cracked at the inlet, I rewelded it, now a sheild inside is rattling loose and it's annoying. Plus they weigh a ton compared to the nice open design of the lighter MF. Crappier materials used too. I can't wait to get this problematic boat anchor off my truck!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I had both on my 1995 Chevy. They sounded basically the same, but the quality of the Magnaflow seemed much higher. The Flowmaster broke a baffle less than one year after installation. I guess that could happen to any muffler, but the Magnaflow never had a problem. Of course that's just my experience, but I have nothing else to go on.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
Baja bound

interesting... I had a flowmaster in my Mustang before purchasing my Tacoma and have no issues what so ever with it. Now i've had the flowmaster in my Tacoma for over 1 year and still no issues at all. It must be a So-Cal thing.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
Bachenstien is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Security Forces
Name: Andy
Bachenstien's Tacoma Gallery
What about gibson?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachenstien View Post
What about gibson?
They make excellent guitars. Seriously though, I haven't had any experience with them other than the expensive system my friend bought that I had to modify to work correctly because he bought one of the *vehicle specific* kits that use those crappy clamps and stuff.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
blendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shedblendedfamily is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blendedfamily's Tacoma Gallery
Also planning to do an exhaust mod. I've had flowmasters on every vehicle I've owned, muscle cars, pickup trucks, etc, but this time I'm gonna go with magnaflow. I've decided to use the stock stainless steel tubing and do a chop and weld on the muffler, (which can be purchased for about 60-80 bucks), to save cash and time.

Would this void warranty? I've still got quite a bit of coverage left, so I don't wanna waste it. I've always understood that so long as the exhaust modification occur after the cat's the warranty is intact. Is this true with Tacoma's also (I have a sinking suspicion that this may be true...)? If doing my own work voids the warranty, are there manufactured cat-back systems that wont?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
CAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud ofCAMZTRD has much to be proud of

Name: steve
CAMZTRD's Tacoma Gallery
i also have the flowmaster 50 series...sounds just like the trd cat back to me.

youtube is your friend.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
The flowmaster is going to give you about a 5hp loss, just keep that in mind.

Magnaflow's normal mufflers are striaght through/free flowing so they might give you a little power, haven't seen tests on it though, but I know it's dyno proven on our trucks that the flowmasters hurt, though they sound good.

Dynomax mufflers are also straight through and give you about 5 more hp, but are much quieter with a low tone and hardly any resonance.

Even the guy at the muffler shop said I wasn't gonna do any better for power than the dynomax, even with what he could make, but he said I wouldn't get much sound out of it. Makes everything nice and deep sounding though.

Plus the dynomax was just around $110 purchased and installed.