1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats the real dealer invoice cost?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sabian, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Nov 24, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    sabian

sabian [OP] Active Member

Member:
    northern michigan
    Vehicle:
    SR5 tacoma
    Ive been thinking about dealing my 08 ext cab 4X4 Sr5 and trading it in for a new 2010 TRD off road extended cab. The problem like allways is trying to deal with the stealers. My truck has about 18,500 miles on it and I have a dealer who is willing to give me a reasonable dollar amount for it, $23,500 The invoice on the truck was about $29,000 and I paid a couple of thousand lees than that for it. My problem is what should I pay for the new truck? The stealer is telling me that his invoice on the TRD off road is $29,987 I dont believe that for a minute. Now I understand that there is now like 3 different trd packages available but I believe that this is the most basic one. Hell even the toyota web site says the msrp on the vehicle is $31,100 without the destinastion charge of course. So does anyone have any idea what the true dealer invoice on that truck might really be. They tell me they will sell the truck to me for what amounts to $30,000 I feel like there giving me an o.k. amount for my current truck even though I am sure I could get a little more for it private party. But I feel like there just taking it back on the sale price of the new truck. Plus there trying to sell me a truck with a few thousand miles on it that one of there sales smucks has been driving. Im sorry but when I buy new I want new, let me break that bad boy in. What does everyone think? Any one bought a new 2010 TRD offroad 4X4 extended cab lately? Whats a fair price to expect to pay?

2. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
  3. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used to sell for toyota...ask to see the actual invoice...they shoudl show it to you...And keep in mind the more options a Vehicle has the more of a discount is available...a TRD is going to have more profit built into the MSRP than a base model.

A TRD to have around $1800-$2000 in mark up...Toyota doesnt build Huge markupinto their vehicles like Domestic companies.

Tell them you will pay invoice plus current Incentives (but i don't think there are any on a Tacoma right now)

Invoice is Invoice...What you see is what the dealer pays...there is NO "other" amount or "real" money...the only thing other than that is dealer "Hold back"...This is a set $$ amount the dealer will get for selling that car...The total profit a dealer has to work with will be the profit margin over invoice+ hold back...Hold back for most toyotas ranges from $300-$500

Most dealers wont negotiate their hold back...unless it is an "aged unit" and been in inventory too long or a left over model.

4. Nov 24, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    Fever

Fever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF RD
    TRD exhaust,remote starter, heated seats, Westin Bull Bar,TRD CAI, Weathertechs
    I just paid 28,500 for a 2010 TRD Off Rd access cab. I had on dealer a little less but it was for a 2009.

5. Nov 24, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6

6. Nov 24, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    They make money by either getting it on the new sale or by buying a trade in for less and selling it for more.
    If they give you a good trade in price they have to make their money on the new sale.
    If they give you a great price on the new sale then they will make it on the trade in.

Thats how it works in a nutshell.
    Now if you get something in stock or at the end of the month or end of the year you may have more wiggle room as they will work a bit harder to make their goals.
    If you negotiate calmly with out throwing a fit or acting goofy with them they will usually do the same.
    Just a few things that may make it easier to get the best price.

7. Nov 24, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    SportyTuRD

SportyTuRD Well-Known Member

Member:

This is sort of How it works...it really is 6 or 1/2 dozen...
    A NUTSHELL FOR YOU IS...
    You have the dealer profit to negotiate from thats IT! NOTHING ELSE...

They can show you a million different ways but basically. They will have a trade value which will be "Actual cash Value" or ACV, This is the number the dealership is putting on your car not a penny more... EVER! The 1st number is all it is worth to them on paper...Now when you want more on your trade they can Give you "more" for your trade. But anything on top of what they already did is coming from their profit...This is called Cash Allowance...or Trade allowance...

They will take away from their profit in 2 ways By discounting the "asking price" or "trade allowance"...Now if you demand Way more money for your trade than the ACV they already set. Then it eats up all the profit and they wont have anything to discount off the price....

EXAMPLE:
    ASking Price is $20,000
    Profit is $5000
    A.V.C. $2500

You demand $7500 (cause you looked it up on blue book)
    that leaves them with $0 profit...but it is what you wanted...You win eaither way...but you are going to pay asking price less the trade...
    or
    The dealer could say your trade is only worth $500 but You argue for a discount off the sticker...They discount the car $7000 to make you happy...

either way it happens they make the same profit off the car and you pay the same price for the car...and they Own your car for $2500...

Products Discussed in

To Top