1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spring TSB included now for 09 and 10?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pyrite FD, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Another Positive Rear Spring Experience
    Just got my 2010 2WD A/C, 4-banger back from the dealer. Got the 5K mile maintenance done and........the Harsh Ride TSB done.....

They went beyond the 2nd rev to the TSB, which called for replacing only the rear springs and not frame/body bumpers or any shocks....here's what I got:

1. Replaced 3-leaf springs with 4-leaf springs (48210-04570 and 04210)
    2. U-Bolt (90117-A0005) (X4)
    3. Spring Bumbers (48341-04080) (X2)
    4. Shock Set (48510-09U50) (X2)
    5. Shock Set (48530-09Q40) (X2)
    6. Complete 4 wheel alignment.

I had also mentioned the reduced air flow output when the heat selection was all the way up (high)....they didn't change the damper out as prescribed in the TSB, because I didn't mention the TSB....just complained about air-flow. Well they replaced the blower motor and blower sub-assembly. I will take the TSB for the Heat/HVAC with me for the 10K mile visit and see what they do.

Dealership is in Old Saybrook, CT....Lorensen Toyota. And......the loaner I got was a 2009 Taco A/C, 4.0 Automatic.

Guess what was on the floor? You got it! Tacoma all-weather floor mats...and they never moved the two days I drove it. I asked about getting some, but....told they couldn't sell them...........

2. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    I posted this on a different Thread.
    Additional Info added: I did speak with the dealer about any alignment on my 2010. They said no, they did not align the vehicle as only the rear springs were replaced which would not change the front end alignments. I will keep a close eye on the rear tires for abnormal wear.

Just got back from picking up my truck from the Local Toyota of Puyallup dealer. Went in the other day to have them look at the transmission shift issue and I also noted the ride. They came back in about an hour with the computer reprogrammed and informed me they had a TSB and had ordered replacement springs for the truck. On both issues I had the TSB in my pocket but chose to let them make the determination based on my complaints about shift and ride.
    Dropped it off yesterday and picked up a loaner. Service department called about noon today to let me know the work on the springs was complete and I could pick up the truck at my convenience. Even washed the truck for me.
    Wow, nice ride too. Definitely notice a difference in the ride. Handles the bumps much better and rides about an inch higher in the back with the canopy on.

Just want to say thanks to my local Taco dealer for making the experience pleasant and minimal hassle. Ken:D

3. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    Joe in the hills

Joe in the hills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cleveland, SC
    Vehicle:
    Timberline Mica SR5 TRD Offroad Towing Pk
    TJM Bull Bar Bumper, 7100 Bilstiens on FE, 4 Leaf Spring Retro
    I would question the labor $$$ as I had both the Springs & Laggin Trany TSB's done within 3-1/2 hrs when I waited @ the dealership to have it done.

4. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    I spoke to Toyota Customer Service last week. They confirmed the TSB has been extended to the 09s and 10s (although the TSB number remains the same) and opened a case number for my '09. The dealership was very cool about it, warned me that the ride would be stiffer, but I would pleased if I actually haul and tow, and ordered the parts.

Hopefully I'll be towing with new springs when I go camping next week.

5. Jan 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

I actually noticed the ride is smoother. But then I have a canopy on the back weighing a couple hundred pounds which might account for the ride improvement. Ken

6. Jan 21, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    That's great to hear! I can't wait

7. Jan 21, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    I'm taking my taco in Monday for both the tranny and leaf tsb's.

The first two dealers I called wanted me to bring my truck in and this one just asked me to fax over my registration card. Then called me back to schedule a time to do the work.

8. Jan 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Pyrite FD

Pyrite FD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road

it has nothing to do with the rear, the rear has no adjustments. the allignment has to do with the front and it is definately needed.

when you raise the rear, it changes the angles on the front. think about it some.

i would take it back and make them do it, it would cause some premature wear on your front tires from an incorrect allignment.

if the service guy cant understand the basic concept of an alignment and how lifting the rear would affect that let me know and ill draw a picture for you.

9. Jan 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    Joe in the hills

Joe in the hills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cleveland, SC
    Vehicle:
    Timberline Mica SR5 TRD Offroad Towing Pk
    TJM Bull Bar Bumper, 7100 Bilstiens on FE, 4 Leaf Spring Retro
    Absolutely, and that's why the last 50% of the TSB covers the various specification for the different model configurations.

Repair Procedure (Continued)
    Alignment Inspection Procedure​
    An alignment inspection and adjustment is required after the installation of the new rear leaf springs.
    The NEW alignment specifications are provided below.
    1. Measure vehicle height.​
    Figure 1.​
    1 ​
    Front Wheel 2 Rear Wheel

Bounce the vehicle up and down at the corners to stabilize the suspension before inspecting the
    vehicle height.
    Measuring points:
    • ​
    A is the ground clearance of front wheel center.
    B is the ground clearance of adjustment cam bolt center (front side).
    C is the ground clearance of rear wheel center.
    D is the ground clearance of rear leaf spring front side bushing center.

NOTE​
    Before inspecting the wheel alignment, check the vehicle height.

10. Jan 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    boxxed

boxxed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    I just got my truck back..I can tell the ride is a stiffer. They did the alienment also. My steering wheel is now off a little bit. I didnt notice that until I was driving down the road.

The alienment sheet show shows:
    Front left:
    Actuall .5 Before .4
    Actual 1.5 Before 2.3
    actual .04 before .08
    acual 11.6 before 11.3
    actual 12.1 before 11.7

Front Right:

Actual .4 Before .2
    actual 1.9 before 2.5
    actual .01 before .03
    actual 11.8 before 12.0
    actual 12.2 before 12.2

The Front

Actual .1 before: .3
    actual - 0.4 before -0.2
    actual -0.2 before -0.7
    actual .5 before .11

Thats what I got. Hopefully they got it right. I know the one service guy didnt want to do it and said It didnt need it. But they ended up doing it.

yippie!!!

Thanks for this site and the people

11. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    NoClue500

NoClue500 Active Member

Member:
    Western NY
    The TSB was just done on my Tacoma. I just picked mine up from the dealer. I have a 2010 Double Cab TRD Sport with 427 miles. As soon as I drove if off the lot new last week, I knew the springs were too soft. Wheel hop was so bad, I thought I was either going to snap a drive shaft or shatter a Ring/Pinion.

This TSB should not have existed because the 4 Leaf kit should have been OEM. My wheel hop is gone, body roll is gone and no longer have any sag. Ride is subtley more firm. It would be difficult for my wife to ever notice the upgrade. My local dealer was impeccable here in WNY (Williamsville). They had my truck done in 5 hours. Carted me around with van service. VERY professional.

I picked up my TRD exhaust while there. Quite frankly, the quality isn't what I expected. Looked no better than OE. Its not mandrel bent. It looks like the tip was welded on by a 10 year old. However, the tone is perfect for me. Its not much louder than OE. Nice tone. Nice looking tip. Only thing I have to do is grind the weld down a little and polish it so that its not so obvious.

Supercharger is forthcomming....:D

12. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    I got mine done today and the dealer was nothing but nice. I wanted to wait and see how they acted in person as compared to the phone cuz they almost seemed sort of hesitant about doing the work. But they took it in at 8am and called about 2pm or so to tell me that it was done. So far I cant feel a ride difference at all but am happy the sag will be over.

13. Jan 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    syobwoc

syobwoc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Edinburg, Tx
    TRD CAI, and hopefully soon TRD Exhaust
    thanks so much for posting this TSB... its been a struggle with my dealership to get this done on my 09 taco... been fighting since July 09..... I got my appointment set for tomorrow. :) Planning on getting the ECM flash too... ;) i love the internets...

14. Jan 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    TRlPPlN

TRlPPlN Pavement Cruiser

Member:
    Bay Area, CA South SF to be precise
    Vehicle:
    MGM DCSB 09 DC TRD Sport 4x4 - Family Hauler
    got mine done with no issues at my dealership. i actually love the firmness and the rear sits higher than my front. kinda like the rake look for now. time to get some 5100's.

if you are from northern cali (bay area to be more specific) i got mine done at city toyota, daly city ca 94015 .

15. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    MyMistress

MyMistress Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4X
    Leveled front, TSB rear, TSB Transmission, Always on fog lights, Socked windshield / bedsides, Trimmed mud flaps, Weather Techs, 4 Extra d-rings, Map Light Mod, Avid Light Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Locked Back Window, Secret Stash Area,
    I called the service department three different times in one day asking about the TSB.. 2 of the guys said they don't know what I'm talking about, but they could look into it. The third time I called (I believe I got the service mgr) the guy looked it up right then on the computer and told me if my truck meets the TSB requirements he would take care of it.. Point being I dont think it's just the stealership as much as it is the lazy staff sometimes.

16. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    NoClue500

NoClue500 Active Member

Member:
    Western NY
    They know it by the "Harsh ride Complaint". Thats how it was classified on my work order. TSB 0305-08

17. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Realize that Toyota makes more than just the Tacoma. Do not expect to call up the service department and rattle off a specific TSB and expect the advisor to know exactly what you are talking about. Each model could have dozens of TSBs issued. What you need to do is call and explain to the service advisor that you are experiencing a harsh ride when carrying a load and that you have found a TSB that may relate to your problem and ask them if they could take care of it.

It's that simple.

18. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    akyota

akyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    10' DC trd-offroad mag gray
    none yet
    Got the truck done yesterday!! Real happy with it, and can really tell a difference in the ride. So i do have one question, did anyone get new shocks with this TSB? I did and I'm not sure there bilstein.. I asked the service lady and she said they were, BUT the shock itself is different in color.. Any thoughts???

19. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    weidjd

weidjd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC TRD OR 4x
    Saw COs/RR,TSB + 1.5AAl, LR UCAs
    You have a '10 TRD and should not have needed new shocks. That is what the TSB says.

20. Jan 23, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    My work order said new shocks as well but they look like the stock Tokicos to me and the ride isn't noticeably different.

Products Discussed in

To Top