Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 speed manual is GREAT!!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #21
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I guess the A/T's are faster...if you have a chick driving the manual (of course the chick is too busy putting makeup on to shift right anyways). If you know how to shift quick and drive a manual of course the manual will be faster. You can keep it in the power band longer. A/T's want to shift based on fuel economy not performance. A manual can do either one, based on what the driver wants.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #22
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Car and driver is known for trashing tranny's to get the best 0-60. They pulled a 7.4 (open diff) with a stick and 7.1 (LSD diff) with auto. The reason is probably because the stick with its lower gearing (look at 1st alone) requires more shifts to get to 60. Rear diffs and wheel spin off the line may contribute as well.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #23
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Are they really faster or is it just that a lot of people don't have the skill/reflexes to drive the manual to it's potential?
No, if you look at the 0-60 times they really are faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I know what you mean. No problems towing in 6th gear on flat or even mild up grades made me think it could be a little higher. I also shift 4th to 6th most of the time.

On the other hand, the autos have a taller 5th gear than our 6th and suffer on hills with CC on. As in, they downshift too much, pass the set point, upshift, drop below set speed..... Might be fixed with the 07+ ones, but I know the 05 and 06 crowd on TN complained about it. It was rather violent apparently.

Of course, with a manual you could just pick 5th and leave it there. lol No violent downshifts possible! And get better mpg on the highways.
They either fixed it for the 07's or i lucked out. i have no complaints about my cruise control. it never accelerates violently and on hills only overshoots by about 3mph. very little gear searching also
Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #24
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
Car and driver is known for trashing tranny's to get the best 0-60. They pulled a 7.4 (open diff) with a stick and 7.1 (LSD diff) with auto. The reason is probably because the stick with its lower gearing (look at 1st alone) requires more shifts to get to 60. Rear diffs and wheel spin off the line may contribute as well.

I'd like to see them run a locked 6spd. LSD vs open gives a slight advantage to the auto. And considering the difference is only 3/10ths of a second it could be slight wheel spin or a few other things.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I'd like to see them run a locked 6spd. LSD vs open gives a slight advantage to the auto. And considering the difference is only 3/10ths of a second it could be slight wheel spin or a few other things.
Yeah, LSD will help with initial traction, certainly the results are not conclusive. I've got a TRD sport with a LSD, this thing takes off like a bat out of hell, very little wheel spin, it's just fun. I go through gas too damn quickly though LOL.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
Willinz is on a distinguished road
Willinz's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking to buy a 06 Tacoma with the 6speed but it has 155000 on original clutch what do yal think should I buy never owned a 6speed. Really just lookin for some advice.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
forcefedsupra is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dustin
forcefedsupra's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my 6spd just over a week now and I'm very happy with it, but it is dramatically improved with the URD short shifter. I'm so glad I got it even though it's difficult to put it in reverse. I also don't like how the engine revs higher when I shift even with my foot off the pedal. I'm used to a Supra 5-spd and it doesn't do that. I'm wondering if a lightened flywheel would help with that.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
forana will become famous soon enoughforana will become famous soon enough
forana's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 12 6sp. I love it. No complaints. it does have a pretty good learning curve. The 6th sp does need to be geared higher. 1st gear is pretty low but its fun to rev the truck up in 1st.

I try to keep it under 2000rpm to get god MPG. But it really does shift better around 3000.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #29
Taco Driver Since '07
MetallicTaco is a splendid one to beholdMetallicTaco is a splendid one to beholdMetallicTaco is a splendid one to beholdMetallicTaco is a splendid one to beholdMetallicTaco is a splendid one to beholdMetallicTaco is a splendid one to beholdMetallicTaco is a splendid one to behold

MetallicTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I also have the TRD quick shift kit installed. Drove the truck a few days before the dealer put it in as it was not an original option on the truck @ time of purchase ($414 option, dealer cost installed). Difference was very noticeable once installed. The throws are shorter and over all the shifter is more notchy. The kit really firms it up and takes out a lot of the play between gates. Reverse takes a second (and a little force) to grab, but overall it is an improvement in sportyness (imo).
The drive by wire system is the culprit in holding the revvs after the clutch is pushed in. I guess its ok, in some situations its good, some not so good.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #30
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willinz View Post
I am looking to buy a 06 Tacoma with the 6speed but it has 155000 on original clutch what do yal think should I buy never owned a 6speed. Really just lookin for some advice.
original clutch? will probably need replacing soon.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #31
Willinz is on a distinguished road
Willinz's Tacoma Gallery
You think so I'd hate to buy it and have to fix something like that
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburt View Post
That makes no sense at all.............
The A/T's have a higher gearing, doubt if they are faster.
How many gears do the A/T's have? Five? ...........Ok....
? 127 MPH in 5th isn't fast enough with one more gear to go? Don't look at me that's from the Toyota book.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #33
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by forana View Post
I have a 12 6sp. I love it. No complaints. it does have a pretty good learning curve. The 6th sp does need to be geared higher. 1st gear is pretty low but its fun to rev the truck up in 1st.

I try to keep it under 2000rpm to get god MPG. But it really does shift better around 3000.
I'm not sure why people think it's so low it is the same as the 5 spd. stick. It's a trans for people that tow and learned how to drive with clutch you can actually use 6th gear towing no need to lock out O/D.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #34
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willinz View Post
You think so I'd hate to buy it and have to fix something like that
negotiate to have it replaced.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I've always had a manual trans until I wrecked a motorcycle and spent 6 months in rehab learning how to walk again. For 6 months my wife and I had to share her car with the auto tranny. As for sucking ass... That was what I had to do every time I asked her to borrow the car.

Your 2008 sounds like an awsome truck. Please tell me you are going to lift it...
I tore up the ham string in my left leg got pretty good using a cane to operate the clutch. Wife's car is a stick too.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #36
Blue Barchetta
FuzzyRuttin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russ
FuzzyRuttin's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a '97 3.4L taco to an '05 4.0L. The 97 required quite a bit more dexterity to launch than the 05, which I can't entirely attribute to an extra 600cc. The 97 also liked to buck on "redline" shifts if you didn't let the engine rev down a bit longer, no matter how much the clutch was feathered, whereas keeping up the revs and easing out the clutch actually works on the 05 if you want full-on acceleration through the gears. The 05 is definitely more forgiving and a lot smoother, I love it. I don't know how to drive automatics.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #37
jrogers329 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jrogers329's Tacoma Gallery
I would love a 6spd...but I want an UN synchronized tranny. That way I could float the gears w/o using the clutch. I drive an 18 wheeler with a 10 speed, and I rarely use the clutch in it.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
I like my 6 speed... I was under the impression for a while that we had very crappy clutches since a friend at the time has a 08 X-Runner is on his 3rd clutch before 60K miles.

40K miles later on mine and the original clutch (80K miles total on the original clutch) is still going strong... My old friend apparently just doesn't know how to drive a manual properly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have an X-Runner so I drive it like a race car sometimes and it would be nice if the revs dropped abit faster between shifting.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #39
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If your racing why do you even let off the gas?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #40
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
If your racing why do you even let off the gas?
Thats called power shifting... When you do that you're scuffing the clutch plate and adding excessive strain to the throw out bearing and transmission. So it's a bad thing to do...

Google "power shifting bad"