Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6 speed manual is GREAT!!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
6 speed manual is GREAT!!

Well I don't really understand what all the complaints about the 6 speed manual were about. I've had my 2008 tacoma for a little over a week now, and I love the manual tranny in this truck. I had a manual tranny in my old Frontier, and this is much, much better then the Nissan tranny. The shifts are smooth, the throw isn't very long, the clutch pedal is nice and firm. I love this 6-speed tranny. I guess all the complaints were from folks that aren't used to driving a manual, or they never drove it long enough to get used to it. I've got no complaints.

Best part about the manual....The truck changes gears when I want it to change gears, a computer isn't capable of making that decision for me. Also, no surprising downshifts when I'm coming to a stop that make me want to step on the brakes harder. Automatics suck ASS!!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Jake is on a distinguished road

Army: 5th Infantry Division Mechanized - MOS 16S10 E4
Jake's Tacoma Gallery
I've always had a manual trans until I wrecked a motorcycle and spent 6 months in rehab learning how to walk again. For 6 months my wife and I had to share her car with the auto tranny. As for sucking ass... That was what I had to do every time I asked her to borrow the car.

Your 2008 sounds like an awsome truck. Please tell me you are going to lift it...
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I've always had a manual trans until I wrecked a motorcycle and spent 6 months in rehab learning how to walk again. For 6 months my wife and I had to share her car with the auto tranny. As for sucking ass... That was what I had to do every time I asked her to borrow the car.

Your 2008 sounds like an awsome truck. Please tell me you are going to lift it...
Sorry to hear about your wreck, I've had a few close calls on my old harley. I hope you're back to 100%.

Sorry no lift for me, I really only got the 4wd to help with the slippery streets when it rains and for the occasional snow we get here. That being said, I did take it off-roading the first day I got the truck home LOL. I like the stance the way it is right now.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Congrats! Yeah, I love the 6spd too! Had to learn a few tricks with it so I can see where some of the complaints came from: people that didn't bother to LEARN the truck, or spend enough time in it to figure it out. ie, Magazine reviewers that had it for 1-2 days, or ignorant owners that can't be bothered to alter habits or pay attention enough to get it right.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
NWCouple2 is on a distinguished road

NWCouple2's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I too love my 6 speed. The R's stay up when down shifting so you don't get the lump forward right away. It is a blast to drive. Ranks right up there with my 05 F350 with the banks kit on it. This doesn't have the same power but it is still a blast. I have told many that this is the best truck I have had, "ever".
Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was great for the first few months too. Not that it's trashed now but it has its moments. Grinds 2nd once in awhile and will not go into third at all sometimes, fun stuff.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
Canadian Taco
corywilson13 is on a distinguished road

corywilson13's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to corywilson13
It took me about a week to get used to but I have loved it ever since.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
deer_pop is on a distinguished road

deer_pop's Tacoma Gallery
I got what I wanted...6 speed stick and really like it. It does take a bit to get used to. I would like the revs to drop a little faster when making quick shifts... but it s a truck, so I don't drive it like a race car.

I just take my time changing gears and it is beautiful. I am interested in hearing if you all do the same or something different.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm kinda glad the RPMs don't fall as I still have to bump them up slightly when upshifting to make it smooth. If I don't give it a little gas as I'm moving to the next gear and backing off the clutch it lurches real bad. Had to teach my wife to do that too because I would get whip lash when she drove!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
I too love the 6 speed. The only complaint I have had with it is that 5th and 6th could be a spaced a little wider apart. It is great when I am towing my camper, particularly in hilly terrain, but realistically even there it could be a little wider, but running solo, they are definately redundant, and I find that often I shift 4th to 6th.

But I have had no complaints with the transmission operation or my ability to shift it smoothly.

Just my $0.02 and your mileage may vary...
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I'm kinda glad the RPMs don't fall as I still have to bump them up slightly when upshifting to make it smooth. If I don't give it a little gas as I'm moving to the next gear and backing off the clutch it lurches real bad. Had to teach my wife to do that too because I would get whip lash when she drove!
You let your wife drive?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
I too love the 6 speed. The only complaint I have had with it is that 5th and 6th could be a spaced a little wider apart. It is great when I am towing my camper, particularly in hilly terrain, but realistically even there it could be a little wider, but running solo, they are definately redundant, and I find that often I shift 4th to 6th.

But I have had no complaints with the transmission operation or my ability to shift it smoothly.

I know what you mean. No problems towing in 6th gear on flat or even mild up grades made me think it could be a little higher. I also shift 4th to 6th most of the time.

On the other hand, the autos have a taller 5th gear than our 6th and suffer on hills with CC on. As in, they downshift too much, pass the set point, upshift, drop below set speed..... Might be fixed with the 07+ ones, but I know the 05 and 06 crowd on TN complained about it. It was rather violent apparently.

Of course, with a manual you could just pick 5th and leave it there. lol No violent downshifts possible! And get better mpg on the highways.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
You let your wife drive?
when I drink.

Seriously though, our other car is a Corolla. Too low for deep snow, no 4wd, and it's missing the rear-center seat belt so all the kids can't sit in the back.

I let her practice the 4WD, locker, and ABS shut off switch in the driveway and back yard too.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Sounds pretty grim, I hope you are progressing on your recovery, my most heartfelt prayers to you and yours.
Good for you Klown, I have to admit I love mine...but... it wasn't overnight. I was used to the older style, V-8's, where you pulled off good and slow, got a nice growl and pulled on the shifter until the gears synched up and it dropped in, not in my new truck Driving this truck has made me more aware of the vehicle and my surroundings, I.E. a better driver. so when are you going to change your avatar, man that thing is unnerving.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Creepy ! yuk
Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #17
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post

I agree 100%. 5&6 could be a little furthwr apart, only about 200rpm difference at 100kph. Its a nice tranny
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
Automatics suck ASS!!
Is that why the a/t's are faster?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #19
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Is that why the a/t's are faster?
Are they really faster or is it just that a lot of people don't have the skill/reflexes to drive the manual to it's potential?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #20
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
That makes no sense at all.............
The A/T's have a higher gearing, doubt if they are faster.
How many gears do the A/T's have? Five? ...........Ok....