1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vehicle Shield Package ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mellow, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Feb 26, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    Mellow

Mellow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Ext Cab SR5 4-Cyl Prerunner
    My truck came with a Vehicle Shield Package which included a sealant cleaner.

What's up with that? Is this pretty much just some overpriced way to sell the cleaner? The salesperson said I'd never have to wax the truck, just use the sealant cleaner.. however, I don't always believe what a salesman tells me.

I know, if I don't use the cleaner or even wax the truck will last a long time.

Just curious if the cleaner is snake oil and I should wax the truck anyway.

Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 26, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    I threw it all away but the soap. Used the soap to wash to car, then dried it with my stuff and clay bar'd, then polished, then waxed

:D

3. Feb 26, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    Mellow

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    I've a newbie to car detailing... other than typical wash/wax... What is clay bar?
    thanks!

4. Feb 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    Mellow

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Okay.. google is your friend... I found some stuff on clay bar... I'll do it.

thanks again for the advise.

5. Feb 26, 2008 at 9:39 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    You want to be careful with how often or agressively you clay. Clay is a fine abrasive and you can wear through the clearcoat.

6. Feb 26, 2008 at 10:05 AM
    river rat

river rat Tool Geek

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '11 Timberland Mica regular cab.
    I don't know. I'd rather wax. I bit on the undercoating though 'cause I live in the salt belt.
    I used to work for a Honda dealer, and the "paint sealer" that they charged more than $300 for was just throwing a bottle of touch-up paint in the glove box.
    Seriously--I couldn't make that up.
    Ask them if you can watch them apply it. :D

I use Turtle Wax company's F-21 car polish because it shines nice, lasts long, and supposedly has UV protectant. It's a feel good thing.

Rob

7. Feb 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Apologies for digging this thread up from the grave...but for a small question, it's better than a whole new thread.

I was told by the dealer that the Vehicle Shield Package was the exterior paint stuff (the sealant) AND a protectant for the interior fabric. I asked if it was different than the TRD sport (water resistant) seats and he told me that it was added protection for stain resistance AND that Toyota would pick up the bill for repairing/cleaning the interior fabric if it DID get stained.

Sounds too good to be true...so I assume it is. I haven't finalized the deal on the truck yet, so I will be sure to get that "Toyota picks up the bill" part in writing, and signed, before I sign for the truck. Does anyone have recent experience with the shield package?

Products Discussed in

To Top