Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vehicle Shield Package ?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Vehicle Shield Package ?

My truck came with a Vehicle Shield Package which included a sealant cleaner.

What's up with that? Is this pretty much just some overpriced way to sell the cleaner? The salesperson said I'd never have to wax the truck, just use the sealant cleaner.. however, I don't always believe what a salesman tells me.

I know, if I don't use the cleaner or even wax the truck will last a long time.

Just curious if the cleaner is snake oil and I should wax the truck anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I threw it all away but the soap. Used the soap to wash to car, then dried it with my stuff and clay bar'd, then polished, then waxed

Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
I've a newbie to car detailing... other than typical wash/wax... What is clay bar?
thanks!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #4

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
Okay.. google is your friend... I found some stuff on clay bar... I'll do it.

thanks again for the advise.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
You want to be careful with how often or agressively you clay. Clay is a fine abrasive and you can wear through the clearcoat.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Tool Geek
river rat is on a distinguished road

river rat's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
My truck came with a Vehicle Shield Package which included a sealant cleaner.
I don't know. I'd rather wax. I bit on the undercoating though 'cause I live in the salt belt.
I used to work for a Honda dealer, and the "paint sealer" that they charged more than $300 for was just throwing a bottle of touch-up paint in the glove box.
Seriously--I couldn't make that up.
Ask them if you can watch them apply it.

I use Turtle Wax company's F-21 car polish because it shines nice, lasts long, and supposedly has UV protectant. It's a feel good thing.

Rob
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
jtweezy is on a distinguished road
jtweezy's Tacoma Gallery
Apologies for digging this thread up from the grave...but for a small question, it's better than a whole new thread.

I was told by the dealer that the Vehicle Shield Package was the exterior paint stuff (the sealant) AND a protectant for the interior fabric. I asked if it was different than the TRD sport (water resistant) seats and he told me that it was added protection for stain resistance AND that Toyota would pick up the bill for repairing/cleaning the interior fabric if it DID get stained.

Sounds too good to be true...so I assume it is. I haven't finalized the deal on the truck yet, so I will be sure to get that "Toyota picks up the bill" part in writing, and signed, before I sign for the truck. Does anyone have recent experience with the shield package?