Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Warranty, Catbacks and mufflers

Old 11-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
skichiiwa is on a distinguished road
skichiiwa's Tacoma Gallery
Warranty, Catbacks and mufflers

Quick question...

will cutting the pipe and welding on a muffler void my warrenty if say something goes wrong with my cat converter, or another part of my exhaust?

Would this be a reason to buy cat back instead of just the muffler. all you do is unscrew and install . if anything fails just replace.

thoughts?

also where do you find these cat back systems?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
my thoughts r,they gotta prove that the muffler made the cat go bad.but im sure they will give u a hard time in that process.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
skichiiwa is on a distinguished road
skichiiwa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
my thoughts r,they gotta prove that the muffler made the cat go bad.but im sure they will give u a hard time in that process.

or i have to prove it didnt. seems like a hassle.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
SUPMO72 is on a distinguished road

SUPMO72's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer would cover the cat but you would have to buy a muffler. If it was a bolt on aftermarket muffler your fine. Dealers not gonna hack a cat and reweld your aftermarket muffler.. I see it all the time..
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
There's no difference between a catback and just a muffler other than the fact you get the piping included with the catback system. Either way, the parts are downstream from the cat converter so I don't see how that would have any affect on it whatsoever.

The bottom line is, they have to prove whatever you did caused a failure if one were to occur. Read the Magnusson-Moss Federal Warranty Act.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
SUPMO72 is on a distinguished road

SUPMO72's Tacoma Gallery
Im not saying the muffler is what made the cat fail.. If the cat is found to be the bad part toyota will cover it, they will not cover the aftermarket muffler IF its welded to pipe the cats in.