Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2" aal bad vibrations HELP

Old 11-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
countryboy22 is on a distinguished road
countryboy22's Tacoma Gallery
2" aal bad vibrations HELP

I recently installed a 2" aal from toytec and once i did i got bad driveline vibes especially around 30-40 mph. i then ordered shims and carrier bearing drop after putting these on i still have the vibes. i dont know what else to do i am 99 percent sure they are coming from the driveline.
Any advice or input would help.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
1 piece driveshaft or try some alcan or devar leaf packs instead maybe? i think one piece driveshaft would be your best bet. iv been considering it

oh and i think the price for those 1 piece are close to what like 300 bucks ???
Old 11-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
ya i just curious if anyone else is having the problem with 2"aal and if so what they did to fix it
Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ooh just thought of something, if possible lift the front morey, that might decrease the driveshaft angle therefore iliminating some vibs...
Old 11-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
what degree shims?
for mine I used 2 degree shims.
the carrier drop plus the shims made it worse. so take out the carrier drop
Old 11-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
i have the shims from toytec i not sure what degree they are. I have tried many things i have tried putting shims in with carrier bearing didnt fix it. i tried puttin just carrier bearing with no shims that didnt work. so i tried putting shims with carrier bearing and adding a couple washers to gap it more that didnt work. i now have it with the shims in and no carrier bearing drop and thats still not working. i honestly dont know what to do i am about ready to buy a 1.5 inch aal and swap it out.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
drjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrjohnson36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
drjohnson36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Ooh just thought of something, if possible lift the front morey, that might decrease the driveshaft angle therefore iliminating some vibs...
Lifting the front more will increase the driveline angle.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
double check to see if everything is tight?
the shims are in fat side to the rear, correct?
I dunno what else? diff drop since you are 4x4?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That vib sounds like the TSB for the tranny mount.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
ok chris what does that mean exactly cuz its driving me nuts. i need it fixed
Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy22 View Post
ok chris what does that mean exactly cuz its driving me nuts. i need it fixed
PM answered. There was a TSB on the tranny mount. Some trucks had vibes related to it.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
fauskar is on a distinguished road
Name: Rick
fauskar's Tacoma Gallery
If it wasn't there before the AAL and is now, assembly is most likely the cause. I just finished adding the 2" AAL and have noticed no problems. I do see several assembly steps that could lead to problems: 1) Centering pin is loose when the U-bolts are torqued down. Likely caused by not getting the leafs pulled together tightly during pin assembly. 2) Centring pin not falling into axle hole. 3) U-bolts tightened unevenly. The amount of thread showing on front/rear/side should be about the same.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauskar View Post
If it wasn't there before the AAL and is now, assembly is most likely the cause. I just finished adding the 2" AAL and have noticed no problems. I do see several assembly steps that could lead to problems: 1) Centering pin is loose when the U-bolts are torqued down. Likely caused by not getting the leafs pulled together tightly during pin assembly. 2) Centring pin not falling into axle hole. 3) U-bolts tightened unevenly. The amount of thread showing on front/rear/side should be about the same.
True.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohnson36 View Post
Lifting the front more will increase the driveline angle.
Why would lifting the front cause more of an angle? If you have say nothing up front and a 2"aal in the back your driveshaft looks like this (tranny) - then (this is where the spacer would go) \ (then 3rd member) (haha I know its bad) but say you lift the front some more it would make that rear \ level out more to something flat therefor possibly eliminating some vibs. After all the spacer toytec sells drops it to make the driveshaft more linear, as lifting the front would also.

I could be wrong though, if I am someone tell me
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Why would lifting the front cause more of an angle? If you have say nothing up front and a 2"aal in the back your driveshaft looks like this (tranny) - then (this is where the spacer would go) \ (then 3rd member) (haha I know its bad) but say you lift the front some more it would make that rear \ level out more to something flat therefor possibly eliminating some vibs. After all the spacer toytec sells drops it to make the driveshaft more linear, as lifting the front would also.

I could be wrong though, if I am someone tell me
Lifting the front wont help the DS angle.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
Almost there

oh btw chris wanna meet somewhere this morning? let me know time and place and ill be there, i live right across from teds

then a question: why do ds spacers help?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
oh btw chris wanna meet somewhere this morning? let me know time and place and ill be there, i live right across from teds

then a question: why do ds spacers help?
They are for the carrier bearing. Some have vibrations due to pinion angle, and sometimes dropping the carrier bearing will help, sometimes not.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
Almost there

oh duh that doesnt do anything to the ds angle
Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Taco Shot
StreetTaco4Me is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
StreetTaco4Me's Tacoma Gallery
sub