Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Late Shifts 3rd - 4th

Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
Late Shifts 3rd - 4th

So i have been noticing lately that when reving high into 3rd gear, my truck tends to shift late, even when i let off the gas. Ex: When on the throttle leaving a light quickly or getting on the freeway, 3rd gear will run up to/over 3500-4000 rpm and stay there for a few seconds even when letting off the gas. It then shifts hard when going to fourth. I only notice this when i am on the gas hard, but only 3rd to 4th gear. Everything else shifts nicely at around 3000 and there is no delay between shifts.

Is this normal for the 05+ or is there something wrong? Like i said it only whenon the gas hard, and all other normal driving, shifts are fine. The delay is what worries me most followed by the hard rough shift. I only have about 15k miles on my 07 and i am pretty conservative as fas as hitting the throttle [Gas is too $$$ for me lol]
Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you have a 6 speed, if so this is normal, mine does it also. It prefers to be driven like a truck than like a car. I am always having people blow by me at the lights, I am trying to hang out at 2200 rpm for shifts to see where the mpg goes.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
If it's the auto, it could be adjusted to your driving habits and hanging onto a lower gear longer so you can still accelerate. It learns to shift later if you get on the throttle more, and shift sooner when going easy. Helps it adapt to your habits/style.

But they you didn't specify auto or manual so......
Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
I am trying to hang out at 2200 rpm for shifts to see where the mpg goes.
Funny you mention that... I got 21mpg coming back home from Canandaigua last weekend doing 60-65 most of the time (except those damn 45 and 30 zones ). Best mpg I've ever gotten in this truck and I was ON it passing people often! (as in, drop to 4th and HIT IT)
Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Sorry about that... its the 4.0L with Automatic. Forgot that part. I can see why it would hang on to continue through, but it just seems odd. Im sure its nothing. Just looking to see if it was a common thing.

On another note, i usually dont hit on the throttle too much. Thats why i figure its what you guys are saying. Normal driving conditions, the engine shifts between 2000/2500.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Devout Atheist

You have 15k on it so it SHOULD have adapted to your driving style by now.

You could always unhook the battery for 10 minutes or so to wipe the programming. Then it'll learn your habits all over again. Should be broken in by now so making it relearn might help. Well, it's a free check before going to the dealer anyway.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
You have 15k on it so it SHOULD have adapted to your driving style by now.

You could always unhook the battery for 10 minutes or so to wipe the programming. Then it'll learn your habits all over again. Should be broken in by now so making it relearn might help. Well, it's a free check before going to the dealer anyway.
Yeah, ill give that a try later today. Thanks.