1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by corey, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Nov 28, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    corey

corey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Allen TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Stock 4WD Reg Cab
    I have searched concerning transmission noise and haven't found any posts that are similar to my problem.

I have an 06 4cyl, 4wd, 5spd, 60k. When in 5th gear, at highways speeds, only when I have the throttle in that sweet spot when you aren't accelerating or deccelerating, it makes a very loud rubbing/vibrating noise from what sounds like the transmission/transfer case. The noise seems to occur mostly when the tranny is hot. If I have the truck under load, or am letting off, it doesn't make the noise. I can feel some vibrating in the pedals. This is the only transmission problem I have unlike a lot of the other common problems I have read about.

Dealer #1 claimed it was the just the exhaust. Dealer #2 stated I was due for a new driveshaft because of the torsion of everyday driving. Both sounded like "We don't know but we'd like your money" type answers.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    Dealer #2 is a complete idiot. Stay far away from that guy. Driveshafts don't wear out over time, they're made of steel!

Check the fluid level, and if it's full, find a Toyota Tech you can trust to look at it. It sounds like you're describing a bearing noise, but I'd hate to condemn your tranny over the internet.

3. Nov 28, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Note the RPM that the vibration/noise occurs. If driving on the Interstate and the truck is in 5th gear, knock the truck into neutral when it is safe to do so and match the RPM to what it was when you heard the vibration. If you hear/feel the vibration again it could likely be an exhaust heat shield resonating with the engine at certain RPM's. Very possible it isn't related to the AT if you hear/feel it while in neutral.

If you do hear it at matched RPM's, match RPM's again when parked to see if you feel/hear it again. If so, a buddy underneath the truck should quickly find it.

*Words of Wisdom: If you do shove your buddy underneath your running truck, exercise common sense and leave the truck in PARK with the E brake applied. Also point out the hot exhaust as it is quite easy to rub up against it while underneath.

4. Nov 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

5. Nov 28, 2009 at 1:07 PM
    mas32259

mas32259 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    TRD short throw shifter, Eibach 1.6" lift coils 5100's on all corners, Ipod interface, Painted engine cover, radiator cover, skid plate, speaker grills overhead console, and added carbon fiber and chrome interior trim (Too much cheap plastic) TRD cat back, LED 3rd brake light. 100 lbs of sound deadner. Infinity ref. 6 1/2 all around. OBX pedals and shifter. DTRL mod, Alt. turn signal mod, LED's in glove box and console, LED's under dash lip and back A/C vent,Weather Tech mats. Took off antenea for wind noise
    Possibly a "U"joint getting dry

6. Nov 29, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    corey

corey [OP] New Member

Member:
    Allen TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Stock 4WD Reg Cab
    Yeah, I wasn't even going to say anything to Dealer #2. I just went home and double checked everything they touched on my truck.

Fluid levels are good. I'll try the neutral while at speed. I have tried the same thing in other gears and it doesn't work. Its a MT btw.

Products Discussed in

To Top