Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

08's be prepared. Suggestions on rear spring leafs.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
08's be prepared. Suggestions on rear spring leafs.

Worst case scenario... if 08's are not included by the end of the year (or never) on our most loved TSB (rear spring leafs -harsh ride-) what will be the best option (links) to strengthen our rear suspension to have a greater payload? and definitely no bottoming out.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
If you only occasionally need some extra support, I'd be looking at the air bag route, that way you can keep your cushy ride and flip a switch when you need to tow or load up the bed.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, an AAL would be similar to what they're doing with the TSB. Creating a 4 leaf pack out of your existing 3 leaf pack.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
jkib is on a distinguished road
jkib's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking of supersprings. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I suppose trading them in on I4 5 luggers with properly designed suspensions isn't an option?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkib View Post
I'm thinking of supersprings. Anyone have experience with these?
2000# cap for about $300 with good ride un-loaded. I just hope the 08's get added for the TSB. That's $300 I feel I already paid Toyota with the tow package!

I'm about ready to hook up to the trailer and see what happens with my truck after reading all this.

Let us know if you put them on and how you rate them. Also wondering about your westin bars. What model and do they ride up close to the truck or stick down aways? Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
I'm considering Roadmaster Active Suspension as you don't sacrafice the ride like you would with adding supersprings and such. Much cheaper than airbags as well. I personally am on the fence though because I don't have problems with my 05 and squatting like others have said and I pull a pretty big trailer with a weight distribution hitch set pretty light.

http://www.activesuspension.com/
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

After purchasing the TRD and tow package according to the Toyota owners manual for my '08, V6, auto, access cab I should get the following performance.

1. trailer tongue load weight of 650#.

2. Cargo weight rating of 905# load in the bed centered over the rear tires with two adults riding in the truck.

3. GVWR of 5350#

4. Vehicle capacity weight of 1205# including weight of driver, pass., and cargo.

The wording of #2 and #4 is somewhat confusing?

If my truck doesn't give me this performance without bottoming out then how can Toyota continue to be putting weak three leaf springs under them and not honor the TSB? To many lawyers in the world to have that kind of attitude. I'm sure the 08's will be added unless they have indeed beefed up the 3 leaf's as some on here have suggested.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Might want to consider LightRacing's Jounce Shocks in the rear. Stock ride until the last 3" of suspension travel and then you get the extra rebound. Pricey, but nice product.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
After purchasing the TRD and tow package according to the Toyota owners manual for my '08, V6, auto, access cab I should get the following performance.

1. trailer tongue load weight of 650#.

2. Cargo weight rating of 905# load in the bed centered over the rear tires with two adults riding in the truck.

3. GVWR of 5350#

If my truck doesn't give me this performance without bottoming out then how can Toyota continue to be putting weak three leaf springs under them and not honor the TSB? To many lawyers in the world to have that kind of attitude. I'm sure the 08's will be added unless they have indeed beefed up the 3 leaf's as some on here have suggested.
905# of load??? wow.. did they change the specs for the 08? Payload is supposed to be 1300# or are they quoting that the second adult weighs 400#??? Payload capacity and tow capacity are based on full fuel tank and a single driver. Also no where in the earlier models did they state that the TRD package was required to increase payload. I did note in another post somewhere (maybe not this forum) that the Toyota web site did change and stated now that the TRD OffRoad package was required to hit the 650# tongue load. Something isn't right though because it doesn't list any restrictions on the tow capacity which still lists at 6500#. Anyone who tows anything knows that at least 10% of the trailer weight has to be on the tongue to prevent the trailer from wagging it's tail (trailer sway) ... do the math and that would be 650# minimum.

If what you're saying is correct (and Toyota's web site is correct) then they seriously need to restate the abilities of the truck. They're basically stating that you have to have the tow package (obviously) AND an expensive Off Road package option to reach the stated abilities. Soooo what about all those long bed users that can't get the OffRoad package??? At least they couldn't with the earlier models.

Also note the following from the Toyota site: "Payload is the GVWR minus curb weight and includes weight of occupants, optional equipment and cargo, limited by weight distribution. Payload is not the Vehicle Capacity Weight as defined by FMVSS 110, which will vary according to installed optional equipment." --- That number as listed is 1360#
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4x4ar3 View Post
905# of load??? wow.. did they change the specs for the 08? Payload is supposed to be 1300# or are they quoting that the second adult weighs 400#??? Payload capacity and tow capacity are based on full fuel tank and a single driver. Also no where in the earlier models did they state that the TRD package was required to increase payload. I did note in another post somewhere (maybe not this forum) that the Toyota web site did change and stated now that the TRD OffRoad package was required to hit the 650# tongue load. Something isn't right though because it doesn't list any restrictions on the tow capacity which still lists at 6500#. Anyone who tows anything knows that at least 10% of the trailer weight has to be on the tongue to prevent the trailer from wagging it's tail (trailer sway) ... do the math and that would be 650# minimum.

If what you're saying is correct (and Toyota's web site is correct) then they seriously need to restate the abilities of the truck. They're basically stating that you have to have the tow package (obviously) AND an expensive Off Road package option to reach the stated abilities. Soooo what about all those long bed users that can't get the OffRoad package??? At least they couldn't with the earlier models.

Also note the following from the Toyota site: "Payload is the GVWR minus curb weight and includes weight of occupants, optional equipment and cargo, limited by weight distribution. Payload is not the Vehicle Capacity Weight as defined by FMVSS 110, which will vary according to installed optional equipment." --- That number as listed is 1360#
Don't forget the gas. We have about 130 pounds of gas in our trucks.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
jkib is on a distinguished road
jkib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
2000# cap for about $300 with good ride un-loaded. I just hope the 08's get added for the TSB. That's $300 I feel I already paid Toyota with the tow package!

I'm about ready to hook up to the trailer and see what happens with my truck after reading all this.

Let us know if you put them on and how you rate them. Also wondering about your westin bars. What model and do they ride up close to the truck or stick down aways? Thanks
I bought the westin slim-line oval tubes. They look ok, but functionally not that great. They fit right up to the truck, so there's little room for stepping. There's also no stepping down to them...they mount too high, so their somewhat ackward to use.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Don't forget the gas. We have about 130 pounds of gas in our trucks.

Mentioned that... proper math includes full fuel tank and a driver when stating towing and cargo capacities.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4x4ar3 View Post

Just going by what the owners manual said on my specific truck combination. I don't think you need the TRD to get the tow package but the V6 is required I believe. That is just how I ordered mine.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkib View Post
I bought the westin slim-line oval tubes. They look ok, but functionally not that great. They fit right up to the truck, so there's little room for stepping. There's also no stepping down to them...they mount too high, so their somewhat ackward to use.
I'm leaning towards the Plat. round ones. They fit up close on my '99 and helped on the door dings more than anything but the wife did like them. I haven't really noticed seeing a pair on a 2nd generation Tacoma yet. Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
evile is on a distinguished road

evile's Tacoma Gallery
is there a link to this tsb some where?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evile View Post
is there a link to this tsb some where?
Thank Audible for this

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2ndpp/p...B-SU006-07.pdf
Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
evile is on a distinguished road

evile's Tacoma Gallery
ya i found the same thing on alldata at work just after i made my post, im a ford tech so i got access to good stuffs like that =p
Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 AM   #20

My service dept. just called out of the blue to set up the TSB on my '08. I guess they would rather have some Toyota warranty money than just having the springs set on a shelf. They had ordered the parts and then gotten back to me and said the '08 wasn't covered yet. That was last month. I'll let you all know about the ride, height, ect..