Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma mats (recall) vs. 4Runner mats (no recall)

Old 11-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma mats (recall) vs. 4Runner mats (no recall)

Here are pictures of the driver's side mats of both vehicles.

2009 Tacoma mat and gas pedal.

2007 4Runner mat and gas pedal.

I can't see much difference myself.

Quote:
....To fix the problem, Toyota and the government said dealers will shorten the length of the accelerator pedal on the recalled vehicles....
Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm...they have a MUCH larger left foot rest.....
Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
Personally guys - I think it is VERY much related to this drive by wire crap. I really do. Something is going on that way. If floor mats were the issue, I think they would in theory have had WAY WAY more problems that way. I remember when the `05-`06 Tacoma`s just came out, there was a story in the news about how they were investigating some of them lurching all of a sudden as well as accelerating when they shouldn`t be but they couldn`t find anything conclusive.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
Personally guys - I think it is VERY much related to this drive by wire crap. I really do. Something is going on that way. If floor mats were the issue, I think they would in theory have had WAY WAY more problems that way. I remember when the `05-`06 Tacoma`s just came out, there was a story in the news about how they were investigating some of them lurching all of a sudden as well as accelerating when they shouldn`t be but they couldn`t find anything conclusive.
I kinda thought this too, but it seems a few people HAVE actually had the floor mats be the issue.....
Old 11-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Jimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimirich's Tacoma Gallery
Wasn't this an issue with the all-weather floor mats only???
Old 11-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
^^ X2
The carpet mats are good, it's the rubber mats that are the problem.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wasn't this an issue with the all-weather floor mats only???
This is what I was led to believe. The all weather mat comes up closer to the accelerator pedal than the carpeted mat. I'm sure that Toyota erring on the side of caution will change out all of the pedals due to the fact they don't know if you bought the all weather mats when you got the car or later after the purchase, etc. etc.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed, Toyota can't really control what mat their drivers put in so I guess a shorter gas pedal is the best option for them.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Of course Toyota has to idiot proof their vehicles now, there are so many idiots out there.

Conspiracy theories? There is absolutely no evidence that it's a drive by wire issue.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Scott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to beholdScott K is a splendid one to behold
Name: Scott
Scott K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Of course Toyota has to idiot proof their vehicles now, there are so many idiots out there.

Conspiracy theories? There is absolutely no evidence that it's a drive by wire issue.
Well they never had issues like this when they didn't have drive by wire, now did they?

I just sold my '93 Toyota Pickup 4x4 V6 Xtracab Manual and it had loose floor mats that could slide around and there was even one time those floor mats slid over my gas pedal and I thought the truck was doing something weird as it was revving a bit between shifts until I noticed the mat was overtop of the gas pedal. BUT it didn't pin the gas pedal down and acceelerate to 120 MPH (mind you, it couldn't) but at the same time my point is, it could have happened on previous vehicles (the floor mat thing) but I don't see a recall on those??
Old 11-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #11

Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
^^That is not how the pedal gets stuck. I personally think a chaffed throttle cable (happened to me) is more likely to cause SUA than this computer glitch theory. Also if it was a glitch the problem would be more widespread as I would suspect Toyota uses standard software for their Drive by Wire system.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well they never had issues like this when they didn't have drive by wire, now did they?
For it to suddenly be the culprit considering drive by wire has been implemented and used for years would be highly unlikely. Drive by Wire is used in everything now. I have a forklift at work that is 5 years old that uses drive by wire technology. It has a tendency to not provide throttle than too much.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
doodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud ofdoodle_cakes has much to be proud of
doodle_cakes's Tacoma Gallery
4runner looks fuzzier. what animal are they made from
Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Lol, that is the dumbest thing i've heard all day. The pedal and floor mats were different with first gen too. What does DBW have to do with that? Until (never?) you have proof it's nothing but a conspiracy theory.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 AM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post

I just sold my '93 Toyota Pickup 4x4 V6 Xtracab Manual and it had loose floor mats that could slide around and there was even one time those floor mats slid over my gas pedal and I thought the truck was doing something weird as it was revving a bit between shifts until I noticed the mat was overtop of the gas pedal. BUT it didn't pin the gas pedal down and acceelerate to 120 MPH (mind you, it couldn't) but at the same time my point is, it could have happened on previous vehicles (the floor mat thing) but I don't see a recall on those??
They also didn't have issues like with when the had non-power brakes, carburetors, and when horsepower was counted by how many horses asses you could se in front for you.

Blaming DBW is just throwing blame on something.

Not to mention that DBW was borne of Fly by Wire- which manages to fly jetliners, fighter aircraft, and UAVs without issues....