1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crittergitter, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Nov 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    crittergitter

crittergitter [OP] Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    If I have put this in the wrong spot, my apologies. This is about a 2nd generation Tacoma sort of. I needed to replace my T-handles on my Leer cap as the locks had become unservicable due to salt corrosion. I live in Nova Scotia and the truck is from New Brunswick so it has seen some salt in the few winters it has been around. I ensured I took some pictures as that seems to be quite popular on this forum.
    First off I went to my Leer dealer and asked about the T-Handles. The warranty on the accessories on a Leer cap is for one year only so I was out of luck for Leer to pay for them. I bought mine from Adventure Sports in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. I asked the price and then of course I asked if they had a military discount. He said no, but I'll work something out. Worked for me. The handles retail for $15.99 can and I got them for $13.65 apiece. Not earth shattering, but that's two coffees.
    The T-handles are left and right and are keyed alike. The Leer part number for the left is: 81387, and the right is: 81388.
    I got my tools ready for the replacement. A philips screwdriver, a 1/4 inch nutdriver, a wire brush, a pair of linesman's pliers, and a can of spray lithium grease.
    First off you have to use the 1/4 nutdriver to remove the locking arms. You just loosen them a little and the arm will slip off. Then take the two Philip's head screws out of the back of the handle. The handle will come right off then. Place the new one where you have taken the old one out and reassemble backing plate to the T-Handle by putting the two screws back in. Replace the arm back on the T-Handle shaft and tighten up just enough to hold it. Repeat the process for the other side. Then you can close the rear glass and adjust where the locking arms are required to be in relation to the slider bars inside the cap. I applied a generous amount of Whit Lithium Grease in the new T-Handle before I re-assembled both sides. That's it, 30 minutes total and now I can lock my cap and keep the tool and hound thieves out!!!!!

Tools required_edit.jpg
    Rusty t-handle inside cap_edit.jpg
    Removing t-handle_edit.jpg
    New T-handle_edit.jpg
    New t-handle inside_edit.jpg
    New t-handle inside lithium grease_edit.jpg
    Completed installation_edit.jpg

2. Nov 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Thanks CG.....As the owner of one of those NB trucks with a Leer 100R,I'm sure I'll be consulting this thread in the next couple of years.:eek:

Nice job on the write-up and pics.:)

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    Nice write-up. I've also had to do this every few years, haven't found any type of grease / lube for the lock cylinders that makes them last much more.

Mike

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    tracker

tracker Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 doublecab long box
    A while back you could buy a rubber boot that fit over T handle and protected the lock a bit. I still have two that came with my Leer cap.

5. Dec 1, 2009 at 3:34 AM
    crittergitter

crittergitter [OP] Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    Thanks Tracker I'll check that out. Way better than wasting time switching them out every two years!

6. Jun 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Gregman

Gregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Freddy Beach, NB
    Vehicle:
    05 DC LB 4x4 SR5
    It seems I've ran into the same problem with corrosion in the lock mechanisms on my 100R. Time to order some new handles.

Products Discussed in

To Top