Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap

Old 11-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Proud to be Canadian Navy
crittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nice

Name: Stu
crittergitter's Tacoma Gallery
How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap

If I have put this in the wrong spot, my apologies. This is about a 2nd generation Tacoma sort of. I needed to replace my T-handles on my Leer cap as the locks had become unservicable due to salt corrosion. I live in Nova Scotia and the truck is from New Brunswick so it has seen some salt in the few winters it has been around. I ensured I took some pictures as that seems to be quite popular on this forum.
First off I went to my Leer dealer and asked about the T-Handles. The warranty on the accessories on a Leer cap is for one year only so I was out of luck for Leer to pay for them. I bought mine from Adventure Sports in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. I asked the price and then of course I asked if they had a military discount. He said no, but I'll work something out. Worked for me. The handles retail for $15.99 can and I got them for $13.65 apiece. Not earth shattering, but that's two coffees.
The T-handles are left and right and are keyed alike. The Leer part number for the left is: 81387, and the right is: 81388.
I got my tools ready for the replacement. A philips screwdriver, a 1/4 inch nutdriver, a wire brush, a pair of linesman's pliers, and a can of spray lithium grease.
First off you have to use the 1/4 nutdriver to remove the locking arms. You just loosen them a little and the arm will slip off. Then take the two Philip's head screws out of the back of the handle. The handle will come right off then. Place the new one where you have taken the old one out and reassemble backing plate to the T-Handle by putting the two screws back in. Replace the arm back on the T-Handle shaft and tighten up just enough to hold it. Repeat the process for the other side. Then you can close the rear glass and adjust where the locking arms are required to be in relation to the slider bars inside the cap. I applied a generous amount of Whit Lithium Grease in the new T-Handle before I re-assembled both sides. That's it, 30 minutes total and now I can lock my cap and keep the tool and hound thieves out!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap-tools-required_edit.jpg   How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap-rusty-t-handle-inside-cap_edit.jpg   How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap-removing-t-handle_edit.jpg   How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap-new-t-handle_edit.jpg   How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap-new-t-handle-inside_edit.jpg  

How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap-new-t-handle-inside-lithium-grease_edit.jpg   How To Peplace T-Handles on Leer 100R Cap-completed-installation_edit.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks CG.....As the owner of one of those NB trucks with a Leer 100R,I'm sure I'll be consulting this thread in the next couple of years.

Nice job on the write-up and pics.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up. I've also had to do this every few years, haven't found any type of grease / lube for the lock cylinders that makes them last much more.

Mike
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
tracker is on a distinguished road

tracker's Tacoma Gallery
A while back you could buy a rubber boot that fit over T handle and protected the lock a bit. I still have two that came with my Leer cap.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 AM   #5
Proud to be Canadian Navy
crittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nice

Name: Stu
crittergitter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Tracker I'll check that out. Way better than wasting time switching them out every two years!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
It seems I've ran into the same problem with corrosion in the lock mechanisms on my 100R. Time to order some new handles.