Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HID Retro: FX-R Bi-Xenon with 4300k bulbs and Gatling Shrouds! COMPLETE!

Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
ElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ElectronMan's Tacoma Gallery
HID Retro: FX-R Bi-Xenon with 4300k bulbs and Gatling Shrouds! COMPLETE!

Here is my HID Retro in my 09 Taco Sport that I completed over the holiday week. Setup includes the following: FX-R Bi-Xenon projectors with clear lenses, Gatling shrouds, Matsushita Gen 3 Ballasts, 4300k D2S bulbs, and stock housings. To complete the retro without taking my truck completely out of service, I sourced two OEM headlamps on eBay and performed the modification to the spares. Once the hard work was done, I pulled the stock headlamp, opened them up, and swapped the reflectors.This was my first retro that required modifying the stock reflectors. It was a bit hair raising at first, but it wasn't all that bad. The biggest challenge came when trying to obtain the correct alignment. There was a lot of off and on with the projectors.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be glad to help.

Stock headlamp out of the truck getting ready to bake.

Remove screws and plastic pieces

Stock reflectors cut/drilled and ready for mounting the projectors

Projector test fitting

Awesome clarity on these lenses

Projectors fitted, aimed, and ready for epoxy

Gatling Shrouds

Gatling Shrouds trimmed to fit the FX-Rs

Shrouds ready for epoxy (I didn't end up using the epoxy pictured, I used 3M Scotch Weld)

Headlights finished ready for mounting

Relay Mounted inside of fender

Headlamps fitted with Matsushita Gen 3 Ballasts and mounting brackets

Truck looking MEAN!!

Wall shot

Road Shot

Flicker

RETRO COMPLETE!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
TheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheOtherGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 63B
TheOtherGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work! I would love to have that light output.

Where did you get all the parts?

EDIT: Can you use high beams or is it low beam only?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....
Mr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the rough

Mr_Torque's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome post! Those lights work really well. This is on my short wish list.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
ElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedElectronMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy57 View Post

I got the parts from The Retrofit Source. I probably could have searched around and bought the parts cheaper, but having once source for the parts is very nice.

And YES it is xenon high beams as well. I tried to get a picture, but there was a damn car coming down the road every two seconds. I'll try to get a high beam shot tonight.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
B E A utiful job man!! proof that a retro can be done over a weekend w/ minimal tools!! to all you naysayers that say retros are expensive and you would rather do your egay aftermarket H7 projectors...this is proof that a retro can be done fast and easy!!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronMan View Post
Headlamps fitted with Matsushita Gen 3 Ballasts and mounting brackets
quick question, how exactly does the boot seal off here? did you cut it al all? did you just stretch the piece to fit over the ballast connector?

looking to complete my back like this and would appreciate a little help, thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy57 View Post

Low Beam vs High Beam shot:

Old 11-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! That looks awesome.
You ever consider offering this service for a fee? I'd be interested if the cost was reasonable
Old 11-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
woww...great job! by far one of the best looking retro fits ive seen. + rep!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
saving up
TR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant future

TR3NT's Tacoma Gallery
awesome job. they look sick
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
SoCal Tacomas
HBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
HBtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HBtacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
Wow! That looks awesome.
You ever consider offering this service for a fee? I'd be interested if the cost was reasonable
x2! ill be interested as well.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
The Retrofit Source has everything you need which is awesome. Like the OP said you could do it a little cheaper but it can be a pain to source all the parts.

Good job on the retro. The stock Tacoma headlights are perfect due to their size. No special caps are needed to seal around the bulb. Did you think about painting the reflector? Also, are they aimed a little low? It seems to me they should be up a little higher. I could be wrong, of course.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
deeznutz will become famous soon enough
deeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtacoma View Post
x2! ill be interested as well.
Yep! This would be a great Christmas present to myself
Please let me know.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Man this thread is going to blow up once everyone sees it!! That looks really good! How much $ did the whole ket set you back.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
How much and do you take paypal lol. If you make a set I would totally be interested. Being that I have a lifted truck would I be able to djust these down or once they are aimed there is no more adjusting. Good job rep for you
Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
MC1983 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MC1983's Tacoma Gallery
great job man, cutoff looks great. I am looking into doing a retro as well. Still trying to decide on TL or FX-R projectors.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
Blinking Car Mod...
RedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedruM29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
RedruM29's Tacoma Gallery
sick retro bro sooo clean...
Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
how much for your spare OEM headlamps?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #19
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Wow nice !!
Old 11-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
O shizzle!
Cryer is a jewel in the roughCryer is a jewel in the roughCryer is a jewel in the rough

Cryer's Tacoma Gallery
that is simply beautiful. would love some more info