1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Fogs, any issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by brian, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:25 PM
    brian

brian [OP] Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    It seems this topic isn't touched too much in depth here on the forums and I'd like to get some quick input if anyone has done it before.

I recently put in a set of silverstars into my headlights and so now I have the dilemma of matching the fogs light color. I don't like how it is now.

Good ol' VVME has H10 HID's for about the same price as a set of silverstars. Has anyone installed HID's in the fogs and do you have decent pictures? I'm looking at getting 4000k's or maybe even 3000K's to go with the yellow fog trend, but I'm unsure.

I really want to know about any issues with glare going down the road. The damn silverstars are already ridiculous bright and glaring. I had my wife follow me the other night after I installed them ( I was driving my civic) and I was so extremely blinded that I thinking of aiming them lower.

Also, if you've done the modification, will the stock wiring support a little extra current that probably gets drawn by the HID's?

Anyone with ANY input, please let me know. I'm on the fence about it.

2. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Here's what I put in today. From Slimcubby's group buy, 4300k mains, 3000k fogs. The fogs seem to be aimed low like they should be.

From the front:
    [​IMG]

Low beams and fogs:
    [​IMG]

Low beams without fogs:
    [​IMG]

High beams without fogs:
    [​IMG]

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    4300 k looks a lot whiter than I expected, me likey. I wish my truck came with fogs :(

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM
    brian

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    LoL... the fogs look the same brightness as the headlights, just a different color!

Did you run a seperate relay for your fog light install?

5. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    brian

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Color temp is hard to guage on a digital camera since the camera is always adjusting itself for what it believes to be white. Never trust a digital photograph of headlights for color temperature.

6. Nov 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I manually set the white balance to daylight for all pics so that it would be consistently set to the same color temp, rather than using any automatic settings. Just FYI. On my monitor (white macbook) it's about as it appears in real life. This will vary according to monitor and calibration though. It's really just white with very little blue tinge to it at all.

The H10 kit from slimcubby's goup buy has a ballast that sits between the stock plug and the new bulb. Supposedly the higher amp draw is only on initial power on, and then they draw less than stock bulbs. I haven't clamp metered it to find out though. I just read that somewhere.

As for brightness, that's an accurate assessment. They're almost as bright, just aimed differently.

7. Nov 29, 2009 at 10:47 PM
    brian

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Sounds like you know what you're doing. I usually set my WB to Flourescent on cameras that can't do calibrated white balance for night time shots. Normally that setting is to avoid oranges from street lights though. Going with your input, I think I'm just gonna buy them. I'll sit on it for a day though. Still tossed up wether to get 3k or 4000-4300k bulbs. 3k is trendy and IMO almost ricey. I don't want to attract attention from cops at night either. I'm sure yellow fogs will do just that.

8. Nov 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I put the group buy 6000k's in. Super bright! Crisp! Love them. No issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top