Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cons. Reports - Tacoma voted worst for tall drivers?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
cycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to beholdcycledrum is a splendid one to behold
cycledrum's Tacoma Gallery
Cons. Reports - Tacoma voted worst for tall drivers?

Picked up Consumer Reports copy of SUV/Truck edition.

Chart shows - Toyota Tacoma voted worst for tall drivers .... o... k

I have no idea why, never sat in one. we talking rearview mirror in line of sight, limited headroom, or is CR up to some BS?

On another note, I've seen how Toyota dealers play games with truck inventory .... can find a 4-cyl. access cab automatic w/o SR5 (save ~ $2k) ... but ... only in white, silver, sand .... you want dark blue, red ... sorry bud, going to need to cough up another 2g's for the SR5 package (which btw is needed just to get variable speed intermittent wipers).

Imagine, $19,800 MSRP for a truck with what, 2 speed windshield wipers. I think Toyota has it figured.

Rant over.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I dont consider myself tall but i'm not short either. i'm 6" and i have plenty of head room. i have no idea why they consider the Taco bad for tall drivers
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
It's mirror line of sight for me. At a 4-way stop I have had cars completely hidden by the mirror so I have to remember to look well. But that seemed to be a problem in every truck I considered.

As for the wipers. For $100 replacement switch you can have intermittent wipers. For another $100 you can add factory cruise control. They come wired for it you just need to add or change a lever or two.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6'4" and I have no problems with room.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
It's mirror line of sight for me. At a 4-way stop I have had cars completely hidden by the mirror so I have to remember to look well. But that seemed to be a problem in every truck I considered.
Don't know how tall you are, but the mirror has two pivots on it. It pivots at the windshield and also at the mirror. I was able to get mine up and out of my way. I'm 5'12"; it used to always be in my line of sight. If you still have problems, you ran rotate the mirror 180 degrees and get a bit more clearance, but you lose the dimming flip switch.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6' 0" with a long torso so headroom was an issue when I bought the truck. Removing the sun visors helped visibility considerably.

When I replaced the seats I flattened the floorpan and bolted the seats straight to the frame. Much better now.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Don't know how tall you are, but the mirror has two pivots on it. It pivots at the windshield and also at the mirror. I was able to get mine up and out of my way. I'm 5'12"; it used to always be in my line of sight. If you still have problems, you ran rotate the mirror 180 degrees and get a bit more clearance, but you lose the dimming flip switch.
I'm 6'3" and tall from the waist up (my inseam is only 31") One of my friends is 6'4" and sitting people think I'm taller.

Well now I'm gonna go see if my mirror has another pivot. IF it does I'll feel really dumb for not noticing it. But if it does at least I will hopefully be less likely to take someone's right-of-way from them for not seeing them...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
I'm 6'3" and tall from the waist up (my inseam is only 31") One of my friends is 6'4" and sitting people think I'm taller.

Well now I'm gonna go see if my mirror has another pivot. IF it does I'll feel really dumb for not noticing it. But if it does at least I will hopefully be less likely to take someone's right-of-way from them for not seeing them...
Don't feel dumb, I think only one person noticed it on their own. Everyone else has been spreading the word.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
Big Cat Chew Toy
GTiVR6r is on a distinguished road

GTiVR6r's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6 foot 3 and 200+ Lbs, the mirror is in my line of sight for me.
Its adjusted up as high as I can make it and I still have to look under it
to see other vehicles on the right.

Also, the seat tilt is non-existant and it wasnt supporting the thighs enough.
So I compensated with a 2" stack of washers under the back seat mounts and new longer grade 8 bolts.

I didnt notice this untill I had driver the truck for long periods of 1.5 hours or more when my ass would fall asleep and the legs would begin to tingle.

They really need to make the floor pan deeper or mount the seats on higher rails.

Other then that, every thing seems to be in the proper poaition for me.

- M
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Dutch will become famous soon enough
Dutch's Tacoma Gallery
Ok...........I mentioned this in an earlier post. I am 6'-2". The head of the door opening is too low for me. I hit my head frequently or rub it getting in. My hair is thinning as it is. All of this may be because of the 3" lift and the entrance position from a normal stance to a sitting position in the vehicle. I do not remember any issues before the lift, but lifted after only 2 weeks of ownership. Once inside, I am OK. Mirrors seem OK as well as line of sight.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
I'm 6'3" and i think i fit perfectly..... I have never hit my head getting in
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
5'12" or 6' which is it?
I'm just kidding!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #13
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Must be a new feature. My 05 only pivots at the mirror. I'm 5'10" and I have the same problem as the other poster. Mirror completely blocks the right hand person at a 4 way stop. Came close a couple of times pulling out in front of someone until I learned to duck under the mirror some.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
5'12" or 6' which is it?
I'm just kidding!!
That's my test to see how quick people are. Especially useful when I see the nurses.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Before I bought the tacoma....I remember reading many reviews that mentioned the seating position was too low. Being 5'6" - I was concerned it'd be too low for me (I like sitting up higher anyway). A buddy of mine has an 05 and I sat in it - and I didn't see any problems.

Now they're saying its not big enough for tall people?

Makes me wonder what they drive on a regular basis?
Old 02-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledrum View Post
.... you want dark blue, red ... sorry bud, going to need to cough up another 2g's for the SR5 package (which btw is needed just to get variable speed intermittent wipers).
As far as seating comfort. I am 6'1" and have the seat up about 4 inches closer to the dash. I have not experienced any discomfort around town or on the highway.

Get the truck you want ... $98 for the wiper part from Toyota of Dallas and install in 10 minutes .... worked for me (RC Indigo Ink) ... good luck.

Also, as far as the mirror is concerned. Yes, it is low but I turned it 180 degrees (day/night switch on top) and it is now out of the way. I have a 20% tint back window so I have no need to place it in the nighttime mode for headlights behind me. Works just fine. Cleared up my blind spot.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=lsocoee;60936]I'm 5'12"; quote]

I dated a girl in college that was also 5' 12" ... legs went allll the way to the floor!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
I dated a girl in college that was also 5' 12" ... legs went allll the way to the floor!
hahahaha. I'll be using that one!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
6'4" 230lbs and have no problems aside from the common duck to see under the mirror, or sometimes since the seat is all the way back, i have to duck some to see the stoplight if i am at the front of the line.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6 foot and have plenty of room for my hat. The mirror is a bit low, but since I have a Gulf States installed homelink mirror, I can't pivot it. I just duck when I need to.