Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Thread for 2010 Tranny problems

Old 11-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
JoeN 267 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
JoeN 267's Tacoma Gallery
New Thread for 2010 Tranny problems

I just talked to both the Dealer and Toyota about the Transmission problem we are all experiencing, "shift problem at low speeds" -

The Dealer acknowledged the TSB for the 2009 Tacomas and said I could bring in the truck for them to drive and verify the problem BUT they would need a TSB to resolve the problem for the 2010 vehicles, they will make the Regional Mgr. aware of the issue - I declined to bring the truck into the Dealer if a fix was not available (1hr. 15min.) drive one way. They also tried to tell me the Truck was "learning" my driving habits and that may be the cause - I respectfully told them I doubted that was the cause.

As for Toyota itself, I called (1-800-331-4331), Toyota Motor Sales USA, had a 10 min. wait to talk with Customer Service, I explained the problem and the Rep. took down the info and said it would be passed on, I was given a "case #" for future reference, I mentioned Tacoma World and Toyota Nation as having many, many posts regarding the Transmission problem -

I don't know where else to turn right now for help, I guess, just wait and see what develops, EVERYONE with this problem (2010 owners) needs to call and complain to Toyota at the above number - hopefully there is strength in numbers -
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
TSB 0393-09 released December 3rd addresses the 2010 transmission problem.

I spoke with the Customer Experience Center this morning and they verified.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
fibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant futurefibertop has a brilliant future
Name: roger
fibertop's Tacoma Gallery
So what is the problem you guys are having. I just found this thread. I have a 10 but I'm not aware of any shift problems. What should I be looking for?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
GT150 has a spectacular aura aboutGT150 has a spectacular aura aboutGT150 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Mike
GT150's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 seems to shift fine also............would it make it get better gas mileage
Old 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
So there is a TSB for this? I should get that checked out then.

As far as those asking about the problem, there is already a huge thread about this, but in short, it's a lag in first gear. It will kinda rev up a bit before going into second. It doesn't do this under normal acceleration from a stop for me, it's usually if I slow down very slow to say turn into a parking lot or something when I get on the gas it lags before going into second gear. I don't even really notice it anymore because I'm used to it.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
As far as those asking about the problem, there is already a huge thread about this, but in short, it's a lag in first gear. It will kinda rev up a bit before going into second. It doesn't do this under normal acceleration from a stop for me, it's usually if I slow down very slow to say turn into a parking lot or something when I get on the gas it lags before going into second gear. I don't even really notice it anymore because I'm used to it.
What he said. It's a minor problem in my transmission, but a problem none the less. I have had to adjust my driving because of it. Again, only an issue when downshifting from 2-1 and then accelerating all under 20 mph.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
dlttlrr is on a distinguished road
Name: David
dlttlrr's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN 267 View Post
I just talked to both the Dealer and Toyota about the Transmission problem we are all experiencing, "shift problem at low speeds" -

The Dealer acknowledged the TSB for the 2009 Tacomas and said I could bring in the truck for them to drive and verify the problem BUT they would need a TSB to resolve the problem for the 2010 vehicles, they will make the Regional Mgr. aware of the issue - I declined to bring the truck into the Dealer if a fix was not available (1hr. 15min.) drive one way. They also tried to tell me the Truck was "learning" my driving habits and that may be the cause - I respectfully told them I doubted that was the cause.

As for Toyota itself, I called (1-800-331-4331), Toyota Motor Sales USA, had a 10 min. wait to talk with Customer Service, I explained the problem and the Rep. took down the info and said it would be passed on, I was given a "case #" for future reference, I mentioned Tacoma World and Toyota Nation as having many, many posts regarding the Transmission problem -

I don't know where else to turn right now for help, I guess, just wait and see what develops, EVERYONE with this problem (2010 owners) needs to call and complain to Toyota at the above number - hopefully there is strength in numbers -

Just came back from the dealership after having the ECU updated per TSB 0393-09. Transmission performed flawless during the drive home. Even took a couple of detours to locations where in the past my 2010 Tacoma's transmission improperly downshifted and then upshifted with the surge/lurch. No repeat events today! Looks like the Toyota engineers got the fix right for this issue. Thanks Toyota for the early Christmas present.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
BADASS
60guy is on a distinguished road

Army: UH-60/C-12/RC-12 Pilot
Name: Dustin
60guy's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have a copy of this TSB?
Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
jd444c is on a distinguished road
jd444c's Tacoma Gallery
I am also having transmmission problems with my 2010. Looks like the tsb 0393-09 should resolve these issue's. Going to make an appointment with my local stealership soon.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
I scheduled an appointment to have the Tranny Flash done this Wed., I'll let everyone know how it goes - NO problems with Dealership" so far -
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
BeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeachBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BeachBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT150 View Post
My 2010 seems to shift fine also............would it make it get better gas mileage
it applies only to some VIN numbers, so maybe some '10 have the new program

I am getting mine done when I find time to get the truck in.

The truck stays in gear too long when accelerating from low speed (i.e. after a sharp slow turn).

I've read reports of worse gas mileage after the reflash though... but because temps are colder (and people might use the heat) I'm not sure these numbers are valid.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
ECM "flashed" today for Transmission Lag problem, so far "GREAT" results :-)))

NO hassle from Dealer what so ever, even washed the truck before I left

I also asked about the "leaf spring" problem, he said if I could show him a TSB# relating to it, he would work with me to fix the problem - unfortunately I did not have the TSB# with me, and they were really busy, so I didn't push the issue, I have the # for up to 08 now, I'll call Toyota 1st and then the dealer, we'll see where it all goes -

Glad to see everyone is getting their Trannies fixed - looks like there is strength in numbers, Toyota must have gotten enough calls about it and did step up with a TSB -
Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
Doktarra is on a distinguished road
Name: addison
Doktarra's Tacoma Gallery
How do we know which VIN numbers it applies to?

I could not find a VIN searching modality in these posts. If there is one, I apologize.
thanks
at
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
What is the issue for the 2009's?

My 2009 has been having a weird issue that just started over like the past week and a half out of no where.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
harpolith is on a distinguished road

Name: t-man
harpolith's Tacoma Gallery
i had a 2010 and had the same problem. no dealer could diagnose the problem at the time. it was like it up and downshifted in quick succession, revved up the RPM's when i turned corners and began to accelerate like something was slipping and then it would downshift and go. it just felt really strange and wrong. it was a big enough problem that i ended up trading it for a 2012 before the value went too low. hope you guys can get this figured out and have success with the TSB. it was really annoying.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
What is the issue for the 2009's?

My 2009 has been having a weird issue that just started over like the past week and a half out of no where.
The tranny TSB for the '09's was to address an odd " hanging " shift between L and 2nd