Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Limited Slip?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
eyball is on a distinguished road

eyball's Tacoma Gallery
Limited Slip?

I could not find this in the search but I am sure its a simple answer. How do I know if my 2005 has a limited slip diff? I am pretty sure it does since I have the tow package but I am just not sure.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyball View Post
I could not find this in the search but I am sure its a simple answer. How do I know if my 2005 has a limited slip diff? I am pretty sure it does since I have the tow package but I am just not sure.

Thanks
which truck do you have(5 lug? six lug? trd sport/offroad?) you can also look at the switches to your left......if you have one that says "rr diff lock" than you have a locker, if not, more than likely....its limited slip.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
also, u can look at the pumpkin in the back (aka big ball in the middle of the 2 rear wheels...lol) and if its an LSD, it'll say "LSD oil" on a sticker.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #4

eyball's Tacoma Gallery
I think its the 6 lug. I have to look. Its the SR5 package 4x4 with tow package. It does not have the diff lock button so its not a locker. Just wonder how to verify it has the limited slip or not.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

check the rear diff and see if it has a sticker that says "lsd oil". if its not the locker....its either limited slip(more than likely) or a simple open diff(maybe).
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
I have a trd off road with a locker. And if i chose i can use limited slip or the locker.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the trucks are open diff. I didn't want to pay for the TRD sport (which comes with the LSD) and it was hard for the dealer to track down a non TRD with a LSD.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
oh sorry i get what you are saying. i responded to fast and didnt understand the question. happy hour was rough tonight. haha
Old 02-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
oh sorry i get what you are saying. i responded to fast and didnt understand the question. happy hour was rough tonight. haha
haha....yeah, but it would be cool if a diff like that was an option!!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:01 AM   #10

eyball's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I will take a look for the sticker.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #11
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Take it out to the middle of nowhere and light up the tires real good if you leave two marks with your tires you have LSD.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #12
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
I seriously doubt it has LSD, if it's a SR5 without the TRD sport package then it's an open diff, unless you got an after market LSD installed, which I think you would have known if you did that. You got a standard open differential. Tow pkg doesn't call out LSD BTW.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #13
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
I remember alot of the SR5 (non-TRD's) up here in 05 had the Mech LSD in the SR5 package. Now I dont see in that same pkg for 08.

If your LSD sticker fell off, and you want to be sure, just back on to your neighbor's lawn (the one who's dog shits in your yard), and goose it.

One tire mark = OPEN
Two tire marks = LSD

If LSD, be sure to change the fluid at least every 30K.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #14
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Just call Toyota and give them your VIN# and they will tell you.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #15
Master of the Universe
Flycatcher is on a distinguished road

Army: Platoon Leader, 2nd PLT Co A 1-128 Light Infantry
Flycatcher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Take it out to the middle of nowhere and light up the tires real good if you leave two marks with your tires you have LSD.
+1 That's the way it should be checked.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #16
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycatcher View Post
+1 That's the way it should be checked.
Damn right I check mine once a month that way.