Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

List of 3-ply sidewall "AT" type tires for Tacoma

Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
lightfire's Tacoma Gallery
List of 3-ply sidewall "AT" type tires for Tacoma

After the weak sidewall blowing on a Brigstone Revo tire I had I wanted to see what the options for 3-ply sidewall tires and experiences with them. Don't know who makes 3-ply sidewall AT tires besides BFG. I think for most people AT is a compromise for those that drive mostly pavement but wish to have good traction in snow/fields/dirt roads etc.
The BFG's are nice on the road but I haven't heard real good comments about snow and I know they won't do mud too well. But more confident in surviving a rock puncture.
Preliminary research for me before I get a Tacoma.

3-ply sidewall
1) BFG AT/KO
2)
3)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
After the weak sidewall blowing on a Brigstone Revo tire I had I wanted to see what the options for 3-ply sidewall tires and experiences with them. Don't know who makes 3-ply sidewall AT tires besides BFG. I think for most people AT is a compromise for those that drive mostly pavement but wish to have good traction in snow/fields/dirt roads etc.
The BFG's are nice on the road but I haven't heard real good comments about snow and I know they won't do mud too well. But more confident in surviving a rock puncture.
Preliminary research for me before I get a Tacoma.

3-ply sidewall
1) BFG AT/KO
2)
3)

Don't the E range (10 ply) Terra Grapplers have a 3 ply sidewall?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
alexe is on a distinguished road
alexe's Tacoma Gallery
iirc hankooks new a/t the dynapro atm rf10 is
Old 12-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think the Nittos do. Mickey Thompson MTZ and ATZ tires are 3 ply side walls, and the Procomp Xtreme Radial MT does too.....But I think thats all.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexe View Post
iirc hankooks new a/t the dynapro atm rf10 is
Nope. They are a 2 ply.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Toyo Open Country AT

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...Country-AT.htm
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Those are a 2 ply sidwall
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
So in a tire that fits factory rims in a standard size AT (Not MT) type tire there are none made except BFG?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Those are a 2 ply sidwall
Man... I thought for sure they were
Old 12-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Man... I thought for sure they were
I did too, but I looked it up, and they are only 2 ply.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnv View Post
BF Goodrich Rugged Trails
Nope.
"Rugged Trail T/A features twin steel belts reinforced by BFGoodrich's Equal TEnsion Containment System (ETEC System) to enhance durability along with a flexible, shock-absorbing two-ply polyester cord sidewall to provide a comfortable highway ride."
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfire View Post
Nope.
"Rugged Trail T/A features twin steel belts reinforced by BFGoodrich's Equal TEnsion Containment System (ETEC System) to enhance durability along with a flexible, shock-absorbing two-ply polyester cord sidewall to provide a comfortable highway ride."
Correct. The only 3 ply sidwall BFG's are their off road tires, starting with the AT.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did too, but I looked it up, and they are only 2 ply.
Oh well.... Its still an amazing tire!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh well.... Its still an amazing tire!
I havent run it, but I might next go around Personally, I prefer a 2 ply tire as opposed to a 3 ply, as they flatten out better (imho) when aired down.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
GUNZ213 is on a distinguished road

Name: Pete
GUNZ213's Tacoma Gallery
well i have ply KM2 and they leave a footprint and hook up in the snow...thats for sure. as far as rock punctures.....went to azusa cayon here in socal and sliced the sidewall pretty dam good. daily drove it like that for 6 months until it starts leaking. relaced and patched that one for further abuse ....
Attached Thumbnails
List of 3-ply sidewall "AT" type tires for Tacoma-041.jpg  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I havent run it, but I might next go around Personally, I prefer a 2 ply tire as opposed to a 3 ply, as they flatten out better (imho) when aired down.
Please do. You wont be dissappointed. and it seems like its a tough/thick 2 ply sidewall.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Please do. You wont be dissappointed. and it seems like its a tough/thick 2 ply sidewall.
I should be getting new tires soon, so I will let you know if I do
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I should be getting new tires soon, so I will let you know if I do
I might be getting rid of my entire wheel/tire setup... 17" wheels are hard to find for cheap.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
I might be getting rid of my entire wheel/tire setup... 17" wheels are hard to find for cheap.
Sorry to hear Buddy.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry to hear Buddy.
I am in love with the ATX Offroad.. I might sell my setup and then get new wheels with Toyo ATs or Sport King ATs

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/atta...r-beadlock.jpg