1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ex-Jeepers now Tacomists

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by glwood6, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dec 3, 2009 at 11:30 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I've had a Jeep for the last 14 years or so, currently own a 2007 Wrangler Rubicon 2 door, dual tops with all the power options. I've spent a bundle upgrading bumpers, suspension, tires, yada yada...

I recently sold my 02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Access cab (didn't see the need for two 4x4s), and got a 2006 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 DC short bed, with limited slip rear. Really nice truck, have enjoyed the extra room, good ride, and found out recently through Toyota that all the service records are in their system locally, the truck has been really well taken care of, been around my area the whole of it's existence...reason for this post is to see what made those who traded out of a Jeep decide to do so, and if you still have a Jeep with your Tacoma, why.

I'm sitting on pretty much about 41k worth of vehicles that I split driving time with, and am considering selling both to get a Tacoma 4x4 DC TRD Off Road. I'm a little tired of two insurance payments, and would like to simplify life a little. I know I could sell both current vehicles and get a new Tacoma with cash left over. It's getting a little tiresome swapping tops on the Jeep summer and winter, and it's nowhere near the Tacoma in comfort and ride quality, although it's light years ahead of the previous Wranglers in that department; with the Dana 44 axles, front and rear lockers, it's a beast off road; trouble is, I don't off road much anymore; I like to drive up to the San Juan mountains in southern Colorado and climb around those mountains once a year, that's pretty much it. I like the idea of having 4x4, but don't really use it all that much.

Those of you who have a Jeep, or sold one to get your Taco, should I stick with what I have and shut up? Or sell the farm and go for one really capable vehicle on and off road? Looking for input from anyone with similar history...

Am I getting old?

2. Dec 4, 2009 at 12:09 AM
    RWS_350MAG

RWS_350MAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    Toytec Ultimate lift, Tailgate anti-theft mod, 265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires on stock rims, Lakeland Predator Cap, Rear seat headrests removed, Husky Floorliners
    I am in the same boat as you are, sorta. I still have my '01 Wrangler, and have no plans on getting rid of it. I have a lot of time, and money invested in it, and seriously doubt that I would get a decent return on my money should I decide to sell.
    Aside from that, I know what its capabilities are both off road and on road in deep snow, which we have lots of in the winter. It has a Detroit Locker in the rear Dana 44, a Tru-Trac limited slip in the front, and a Warn lockout conversion in the front axle also. 3" suspension lift, 33x12.5-15 Super Swamper Radials, and a Warn 9.5Ti 9500 lb. capacity winch.
    The main reason I got my Tacoma was the very limited room inside of the Jeep. The Jeep just doesn't have enough room for carrying stuff. I test drove a Tacoma, and was sold. Very nice ride, good power, and decent mileage.

3. Dec 4, 2009 at 12:29 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    the only jeep i had was a 79 cj5 with 35s.not sure if that counts.im on the fence about dumping my taco for a new 4 door wrangler on 35s. i agree it sucks to pay ins on 2 trucks.been driving toyota pickups for years.not happy with my 08.might be time for a change.

4. Dec 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    When the 4 door Wranglers came out, I was not real fond of them, but over the last three years, they have grown on me, also, especially when lifted with 35" tires. They have a ton of room. I think Chrysler is trying to nudge people in that direction, as it is nearly impossible to access the rear seat in a 2 door...

I guess my biggest concern is selling both of my vehicles, which are trouble-free, and get a new vehicle that has issues...but that is always going to be a possibility with any vehicle purchase...in your case you could say a not so remote possibility...

5. Dec 4, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    poppasmurf009

poppasmurf009 Active Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Stock 09 Access Cab V6 4x4
    I traded in my 2000 Cherokee for my 09 4x4 access cab. I was tired of the little issues with the Cherokee, and I was moving to FL so I wanted something with A/C. I really loved that Jeep in the winter because it would get through any snow, but hated it in the summer because it was hot and loud. Now I have the best of both worlds and higher quality to boot.

6. Dec 4, 2009 at 8:13 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i to have a wrangler.nothing fancy,just 2" of lift with 31s.just summer fun and thats it.got a 171,000 miles on a tired 4cyl so long trips r out of the question.and its my wifes so to speak.well.........ok its hers.

7. Dec 4, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    hi tig1 calling-had a 1992 jeep cherokee sport 18 years old 210,000 kms just wanted something bigger plus a half ton truck.bought a tacoma 2009,best move i every made.

later tig1:D

8. Dec 4, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    I regit getting rid of jeep, but don't get me wrong I love my truck!!!

9. Dec 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    Acill

Acill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Port Hueneme, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I've got an 08 limited Liberty that I gave to my wife to drive now. Its nice, but I love the 05 Taco a lot more. Even though my truck is way less featured, has less room and only room for me and one more, it drives so much better then the Jeep. As long as Toyota keeps making them like this I will never be without one!

10. Dec 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    I had a 77 CJ7 with an amc 304, 3 speed manual, fiberglass body, with side pipes, cherry bombs. No interior, just 2 seats. It was a fun.

I had an 85 CJ7 too. Completely stock. Camo.

I like the new jeeps but am disappointed in the engine choices. Plus those fukkers at Chrysler aren't getting a dime from be.

11. Dec 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    Hologram

Hologram Go with the flow

Member:
    Pensacola-Destin, FL 850
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab PreRunner SR5
    had an 99 wrangler sport straight 6, it was good. but had 80k miles when i traded it for my 03 taco. it started having alot of issues, both electrical and mechanical. never went off road with it, kept it stock so i always wanted the tacoma and heard bout the reliability of tacos so thats what i did. and never looked back. from here on out its toyota period.

12. Dec 4, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    i will always remember my 89 xj. :(
    nothing major, nice daily driver with tons of offroad potential.
    [​IMG]
    old shitty cell pic

13. Dec 4, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    teri4lance

teri4lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    Removed the price sticker in the window, bobbed 6" off the mudflaps, debadged. TSB completed.
    I had a '91 YJ for 16 years, then an '04 TJ. I gave up when the inline six was phased out and then bought my Tacoma. No regrets so far, although my kids miss the soft top.

14. Dec 4, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    UpstateTacoma

UpstateTacoma I'd rather be diving than working..

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    All Stock, future mods will be audio only!!
    I had a 96 jeep cherokee xj that i sold/traded for my 2010 tacoma. My jeep was a 4x4 but went with pre runner. Never regretted it....

15. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I can't really comment on this....

The jeep I owned (Wrangler) was my trail rig and definately not a daily driver.

We also owned a Grand Cherokee, but that was my husbands daily driver and it towed the jeep. We sold the Grand Cherokee (my mother-in-law owns it) to buy a bigger tow vehicle.

As for the jeep, well.... we lost interest in the offroading scene and sold it. It was a beauty...D44's, ARB's, rollcage, etc.

16. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:42 PM
    brickisred

brickisred Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    (still) Looking for Tacoma Prerunner 2wd
    I still miss my old 83 CJ7. Sold it so the wife could have new wood flooring :eek:

Sold my 97 Cherokee to my dad and it's still in top condition with 130k on the clock.

Yeah, a minivan motor? I dunno. The inline 6 will be missed.

OP, I think you'll miss the jeep if you trade it...

17. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    83cj

83cj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gulf Shores,AL
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma when I get the cash currently cj7
    I have an 83 cj7 has been my daily driver for the past five years I will be buying a tacoma dbl cab in the near future the main reason is I have another daughter on the way and with two dogs my wife and one kid we barley fit for those weekend excursions now. I will build the tacoma so I can do some wheeling but I will keep the jeep put in a small block v8, dana 44's out of the scout in the back yard, maybee some 38.5 in boggers and just make it a mostly trail rig, for me.

18. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:47 PM
    Pyrite FD

Pyrite FD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road
    traded mine in

2000 xj
    3.5" lift on 32's
    4.6L Stroked Engine

had around 180k miles on it
    loved it, great jeep

rust was starting to show, interior was old, etc etc

would have bought another cherokee if they hadnt stopped making them. i will prob get a used older model one day for fun. i doubt these new trucks even lifted and locked with atrac will do as well as the cherokee did, hard to beat the light weight and SFA but thats ok.

19. Dec 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i will probally have 2 jeeps within the year when my daughter starts to drive.she loves the jeep thing.

20. Dec 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    glwood6

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    I had an '80, 83, and '85 CJ at different times, wish I still had one of them. I also had several TJs and one YJ previous to the JK

The V6 in my JK has way more get up and go than the straight six in my 97 TJ Sport I had previously, I don't miss that engine ever.

You may be right...

Products Discussed in

To Top