Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bike rack on top of undercover

Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
Bike rack on top of undercover

A gentlemen ask me to post some pics of my rack. Hope it helps someone.. The rack is a Thule but I had a Yakima on my 05 and would work the same way, as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0698.jpg   Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0697.jpg   Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0699.jpg   Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0703.jpg   Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0701.jpg  

Old 12-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
What's the exact rack you used? I like that, looks really clean when its off too.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i like that cover.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
What's the exact rack you used? I like that, looks really clean when its off too.
I don't know if there is an exact name. You can start with Thule or Yakima.

#1- buy the base trucks (2) ( the one you put directly on top of tonneau). Mine are 48 " long (5' bed).

#2- You get the four tower (legs). They should have locks and landing pads. Landing pads are the only thing that would be permanently attached to your tracks.

#3- get the traversal bars (2). They can be round or oval. Mine are 48".

Once you have these three things installed,, you are ready to install any bike rack on top. Our bed is wide enough to accept even four bikes and the Undercover Tonneau will more then hold this.. If it makes it easier for you, you can print out one of this pics and go to a good store. Any bright kid should be able to give you an idea of the $ cost.

I hope this helps a little.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting that! I appreciate it. Its a little different than what I will have to do since I have the access rollup cover. I will probably have to attach the base trucks to the side caps of the bed. I'm wondering if the tower legs will be tall enough to allow clearance for the cover to rollup under it.

I may end up having to do some custom fab work.

There is a guy around here that I see at the mountain biking trails and sometimes driving around who has a bike rack over his bed with a yakima load warrior basket. Next time I see him I'm going to flag him down to see how he did his setup.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Dreamer
TexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud ofTexasBlue has much to be proud of

Name: Kellan
TexasBlue's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sharp man!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Thanks for posting that! I appreciate it. Its a little different than what I will have to do since I have the access rollup cover. I will probably have to attach the base trucks to the side caps of the bed. I'm wondering if the tower legs will be tall enough to allow clearance for the cover to rollup under it.

I may end up having to do some custom fab work.

There is a guy around here that I see at the mountain biking trails and sometimes driving around who has a bike rack over his bed with a yakima load warrior basket. Next time I see him I'm going to flag him down to see how he did his setup.
I don't know what roll up you have but I saw one with side rails that are designed to accept the landing pads. So you would have the same set up with the cross bar running over from one side to the other side. You can see them Truckaddon site. The worst scenario you can make couple hole and mount them with two screws. Landing pads have two holes all ready.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
Looks sharp man!
Thank you.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilus11 View Post
I don't know what roll up you have but I saw one with side rails that are designed to accept the landing pads. So you would have the same set up with the cross bar running over from one side to the other side. You can see them Truckaddon site. The worst scenario you can make couple hole and mount them with two screws. Landing pads have two holes all ready.
I have the access literider rollup. the metal piece that the vinyl is attached to that latches to the side rails is about 4 inches tall so once you have the cover wrapped around it a few times I would imagine there needs to be around 6-8" of clearance for the cover to rollup under it.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
downhiller37 is on a distinguished road
downhiller37's Tacoma Gallery
thule base tracks

@virgilus11

How do the TB60 tracks work after one year of use? Any cracks in the undercover!
Have you placed a bolt in every hole of tracks or in every second?
Can you post a picture to see the backside of the undercover with the bolts?
Thank you for your efforts!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller37 View Post
@virgilus11

How do the TB60 tracks work after one year of use? Any cracks in the undercover!
Have you placed a bolt in every hole of tracks or in every second?
Can you post a picture to see the backside of the undercover with the bolts?
Thank you for your efforts!
So far so good. No cracks or any other issues.
I placed a bolt every other hole. You can't put in every hole. You have to fall between the cover ribs. I took few pics right now. Sorry is dark here. Hope this will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0774.jpg   Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0773.jpg   Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0771.jpg   Bike rack on top of undercover-img_0772.jpg  
Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
downhiller37 is on a distinguished road
downhiller37's Tacoma Gallery
This helped me very much.
Thank you for the pictures and the quick answer!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
I love my taco
tfortunato is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
tfortunato's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, that looks amazing. I have your truck and your cover. Can you, at all, remember where you got what you have or names? I'd love to do that exact setup.