Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A thread in here just made me dumb!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A thread in here just made me dumb!

I was just reading in here about a poor kid who was confused about the OR rear locker, and now i think i'm retarded...

Do i have this straight: (I have a 2009 AC 4x4 6spd Manual)

When i turn the car on by defualy the VSC is ON right?

AND the VSC will control skidding or spinning wheels by apllying brake power right?

NOW...i hit the VSC button ONE time and the VSC turns off and LSD is on right?

I hitt to botton while stopped and hold it and both VSC AND LSD are OFF right?

SOOOOOO: if i am right on all the above, how does the LSD differ from the locking diff on the OR models?

THANKS!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i think your correct.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
It differs in that you control when to lock that differential... I think...
That's a great questions that I hope someone will answer.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
dat thrd had made me tarded 2 lol ur a n00b n i type txt lol lol
Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
someone!!! tell me about the rabbits!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSandPearl4x4 View Post
I was just reading in here about a poor kid who was confused about the OR rear locker, and now i think i'm retarded...

Do i have this straight: (I have a 2009 AC 4x4 6spd Manual)

When i turn the car on by defualy the VSC is ON right?

AND the VSC will control skidding or spinning wheels by apllying brake power right?

NOW...i hit the VSC button ONE time and the VSC turns off and LSD is on right?

I hitt to botton while stopped and hold it and both VSC AND LSD are OFF right?

SOOOOOO: if i am right on all the above, how does the LSD differ from the locking diff on the OR models?

THANKS!
Everything you've explained above is all ELECTRONIC in a sense that input comes from sensors and feeds the computer to send output to the brakes/wheels, etc.

The TRD offroad locker is all MECHANICAL. You press button, the differential locks the gears. No sensors, no computer input. The gears are locked together.

With the 05-08 trucks with the mechanical LSD is also mechanical. Clutch paks inside the differential do the work.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Please can we keep this thread on track? I REALLY like to get the answers to this!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
The difference is when you lock the rear end with a locker both axles (the two that reside in the rear axle) will spin at a constant speed regardless of what is happening outside. The electronic LSD will apply the brakes independently to redistribute power to the wheel that has more traction. I.E. the wheel that is not spinning, or spinning less than the other.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
So when i push the LSD what happens? my rear diff does NOT lock?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
No, your rear diff will never lock unless you install a locker, or your truck has the factory locker (TRD Off-Road).

A LSD is exactly what the name implies, a limited slip device. It limits the slip at the rear end, it will not lock the axles together.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
so then aren't the LSD and VSC the same?

AND when would you ever want to turn both the LSD and VSC off?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Please can we keep this thread on track? I REALLY like to get the answers to this!
sorry, man. That thread you referenced kind of blew my brain. Wish I could answer your questions but I'm a 1st gen.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Sort of, the LSD is to promote traction while driving forward essentially, where as the VSC is a stability control that will help a less experienced driver control the vehicle under extreme circumstances.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so then aren't the LSD and VSC the same?

AND when would you ever want to turn both the LSD and VSC off?
Read this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...snow-test.html

I believe the LSD is just a limited slipping device using the brakes.

I don't have either but I think the VSC can and will limit and cut throttle to help control the vehicle.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery

THANKS![/QUOTE]

The LSD is a system that works with your brakes. There is a sensor that detects wheel spin and will apply the brake. This is right for the 08+. Before that the LSD was different. Multiple clutch system in an oil bath. When the wheel spins the oil temperature raise and would activate (locked) the plates.

The Locking Dif works only on 4LO. You push the button in the cab wich activate a small electric motor attached to your differential. (you can see the motor if you look under,in front of differential). The electric motor will activate (push) a small pin inside differential that blocks both wheels. together. At that moment you can;t drive fast,turn well (the reason it works on 4lo only) but will give you same traction at both wheels. If you have a 2wd Pre Runner the Locking Diff is set up so you can drive at high speeds = BAHA (sand) racing.

This is how I know but you may have guys here with more knowledge. Hope this helps you and not confuse you.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
Baadboy11 is on a distinguished road
Baadboy11's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a video that will show you the difference between open, LSD, and locked... in these trucks the locker doesn't lock automatically like it does in the video, but the idea is similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw

skip to about :40 seconds in for the good stuff
Old 12-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=BlackSandPearl4x4;1180431]I was just reading in here about a poor kid who was confused about the OR rear locker, and now i think i'm retarded...

you are not alone my little retarded brother. i have 7 brain cells left after reading that thread
Old 12-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
ME TO