1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FYI.........sway and traction bars

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dutch, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mar 2, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    Dutch

Dutch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Finished installing Helwig rear sway bar and Procomp Traction bars on my '07 4x4. Will post pics, but I just thought it would be note worthy to mention a few things about these products in case someone else is interested in the installation.

The Helwig is not made for a lifted truck, but I needed more body roll reduction. For now I have the Revtek 3" kit which has a 1 1/8" spacer under the springs. This puts the sway bar at an undesirable angle as well as the drop arms attached to the frame. (too short) It is not very functional and could cause more stress wear on the bushings supplied in the Helwig kit along with other problems. The fix: increased drop arm size from 7/16 to 1/2" 4140 rods lengthened by 2 inches, bore sway bar end link holes, z-brackets, and bushings to accept the 1/2" rods. Works great now!

The Procomp traction bars need a minimum of 1 1/2" spacer under the springs to operate adequately. A good payload and a pot hole will find the springs digging a nice gash into the traction bars if not enough clearance. The fix: If you don't have the 1 1/2" spacer, simply have a local fab shop make another mounting tab for the spring end 1" longer and 1/8" thicker. This will solve the clearance problem and it works just fine.

Obviously, no need to fill out the warranty cards that come with the kits.

2. Mar 3, 2008 at 1:06 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    perfect, I was just thinking about how to improve my road performance. How do these help? How much? Where did you purchase these?

3. Mar 3, 2008 at 8:10 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Thanks for the post. Got a Hellwig sway bar sitting here waiting for warm weather... :cool:

4. Mar 4, 2008 at 4:44 AM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I got the Hellwig kit from Autopartswarehouse.com for $270.00 and free shipping. The Procomp traction bars came from 4wheelparts.com for $398.00 plus shipping. That includes the ladder bars and the mounting kit.

Since my engine was modified as well as S/C, torque was causing severe wheel hop and wrap up. The addition of the traction bars greatly reduced this. I should mention that I said you need a 1 1/2" spacer under the springs for the kit to work with no mods. I had 1 1/8" spacer and had to mod the spring end mount. This kit will not work if you have no lift at all. I am going to post a pic this weekend. I removed them so I could have them blasted and painted a different color since they come in black and are quite visible.

The Hellwig sway bar has helped a lot with body roll. I have not towed with it yet, but assume it adds stability. The bar is 3/4"dia. and suits the vehicle perfectly. The end rods that come with the kit are only made to fit a vehicle that has not been lifted. The arms of the bar must be parallel to the ground and the end rods must be perpendicular. I modified mine as mentioned earlier with great results. I don't think I would attempt a sway ber mod to a lift any greater. Again pics coming.

5. Mar 4, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
  6. Mar 4, 2008 at 7:32 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  7. Mar 4, 2008 at 7:48 AM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco

8. Mar 4, 2008 at 9:10 AM
    SteelCity

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    .....need.....help......please.....

9. Mar 4, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    SteelCity

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:

10. Jan 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Dbl cab Auto
    Any pics of your set-up?

11. Jan 25, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    The rear sway, for a stock height truck, is this a direct bolt on? Does it come with everything you need to install?

12. Jan 25, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Wow... old thread...

He still comes to TW though... last time here was new years day. :D

13. Jan 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I actually do have some pics. Look in my profile to see the sway bar. I added the traction bars after this, but have a pic of them and I will post. My job has taken me away from this site and my truck for some time now, but hopefully will be home soon and get back into things.

14. Jan 26, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Simple direct bolt on. Everything you need is included. My truck is lifted 1 1/2" in the rear so I had to modify the install kit. You should have no problems with stock height.

15. Jan 27, 2009 at 12:26 AM
    dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Dbl cab Auto
    Not sure if would work with mine. I have a Pro Comp 6" lift.

16. Jan 27, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Won't work man. The geometry of the kit is not suited for that high of center of gravity. Even my mod would not work for your lift. You may need a custom built kit. Not sure where to look, but I am sure they are out there.

17. May 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    ducatist921

ducatist921 Member

Member:
    will it work with TSB rear

Products Discussed in

To Top