1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Drain/Refill Automatic Transmission

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fortech, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Sep 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    jax45

jax45 Member

Member:
    Sharpsburg Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner
    Have an 05 Pre-runner 2wd. ight.It does not have an at temp. The owners manual states that this light is only on the 4wd. I have an 07 4 runner. I will try the at temp mode check on it and see how it reacts. Its service manual also states that D will flash for 2 secs when entering AT temp mode. I;m gonna give it a try,l

2. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    Captarm

Captarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Armand
    Maine and Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Silver/Black, Tinted windows
    Leather Arm Rest Firestone Ride-rite K&N oil air Filter Wet Okole Black/Gray w heated seats Alpine CDE-123 receiver w Blue tooth,MP3,USB port AP Rock-sliders Viper Auto starter, should have gotten with alarm Anytime Fogs NOKYA7626 yellow lights Muth Heated, Signal Mirror Leer Cap Silver stream line top Differential Breather Mod
    It would easy if they just put the dam dip stick back in and we wouldn't have this problem. maybe if we all called and or wrote letters to the Toyota and tell the how stupid it was to remove the dip stick maybe it would get done on the next model. I've send 2 letter to Toyota saying how dumb it was to remove the only way we can check the fluid level and yet we the consumer are responsable for the fluids.

3. Sep 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    Ronin

Ronin iTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    low range leveling kit
    I am a lil slowwwww...how much fluid does an automatic transmition hold? How much is actually being changed? I have read this thread from beginning to end. I am just trying to find out how what a drain and fill actually accomplishes. Thank you for your time and concern.

Sincerely,

Al

4. Sep 26, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    mh3kgt

mh3kgt -TACOMBO-

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    OME 885's, OME Nitros front, Billy 5100's rear, 1.5"AAL, Satoshi'd Billet Grille, 18" Moto Metal 955's Plastidipped, more to come
    Thanks for the writeup man. I've still got another 30k to go till I have to do this, but it's always good to know ahead of time what is required, plus being able to do all these system checks will save me lots of $$$ from the stealership :)

5. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Ronin

Ronin iTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Rockwall, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    low range leveling kit
  6. Sep 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    theoneandonlyesto

theoneandonlyesto New Member

Member:
    Hillsboro
    Vehicle:
    11 SW DC TRD
    Awesome Write up.... My bud made the rookie mistake of changing his oil for the first time and drained some of his tranny. This worked easily.... cheers....

esto

7. Sep 29, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    Im @ 31k miles with my prerunner, might do this @40k/45k. I am concerned a bit of the flush vs. full flush, read thread and looks like avg 3qt fill when its 6qts?

I'm sure changing half the fluid for a "no-need/100k/60k" service is better than nothing...

8. Oct 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    PIZZLE

PIZZLE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver,WA
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 09 TRD Sport
    6" Pro Comp Lift, 35" BFG KM2's on KMC XD Series Rockstars, Front Windows Tinted to Match Back, AEM Brute Force Air Intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Bilstein 5100 Shocks
    I stopped by my local Toyota dealer today to pick up some Toyota ATF WS to do a transmission fluid change. I got there a few minutes early, so I had some time to kill. I started looking through my owner's manual and noticed it says the 5 speed automatic transmission has a capacity of 11.5 quarts. I brought this up to the shop foreman at the dealer and he says draining the pan and replacing 3-6 quarts is not a complete fluid change. They dealer actually drains the torque converter, transmission cooler (if equipped), and pan...then replaces the fluid. I know this has some-what been covered already but it's looking like having the dealer do a complete drain and refill is the better way to go!

9. Oct 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Dreyfus

Dreyfus Active Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Ext cab TRD OffRoad V6 auto 4x4
    No doubt this is better than a drain & refill. However, for most people the issue is the cost. Three bills at the dealer is too steep for many here.

10. Oct 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Blackhawk131

Blackhawk131 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is what I can tell since I have just purchased my first tacoma and doing a little research. You have to know what type of Transmission you have first. If you have a dip stick in the engine bay then this process isn't for you. The process is just like all transmission in the pasted using the normal toyota fluids.

Now for most TRD Autos you will have a Transmission that doesn't have a dip stick in the engine bay. This is because it is a sealed pressure unit. Doing this procedure is not a good idea in my opinion because like he stated you are only changed 2 quarts out of a 13 quart system. Most dealers now do a complete flush including the fluid in the converter. For these transmisions it is expensive because the fluid(toyota WS) is about 20 dollars a quart alone. I recommend taking it in and getting the full flush with all new fluid because Toyota has very good fluids and replace all the fluid with fresh and that will last you another long time. Have you noticed that there is no service option in the manual for these trans?

11. Nov 1, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I was intending on doing this but have decided to just let sleeping dogs lie. I bought my current 05 with 112k on it and there was no record of it being touched by Toyota. It has 131k on it now and it shifts perfect. I don't drive it hard or do a bunch of towing and when I have towed with it (open steel car trailer with a car on it most of the time) it did perfectly fine. I was going to drop the pan, clean it, clean the filter, and refill. However the possibility of me dislodging something in the process to get sucked into the tranny and cause a problem makes me think leaving it be is a better way to go. A tranny flush by machine is a great way to go every 40-50k miles. But doing it on a 100k plus tranny in my opinion will certainly dislodge some crud and potentially give you some troubles. I've seen it happen on several other makes where a few days after a flush the tranny starts slipping. My 00 4Runner has 215k on it and the tranny hasn't been touched since 50k miles. It shifts perfect too.

12. Nov 15, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    CAtaco

CAtaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DB Cab TRD Longbed
    SnugTop 5100s Rears PIAA 580s NFab Light Bar Upgrading my Stereo as we speak/chat. Drop in K&N
    OIL STOP by Chevron claims to use only Toyota tranny fluid for auto trans mated to 4.0L. They charge $99.99 for the service. Unlike Jiffy Lube they claim to use Toyota products. I wonder if that's true. They couldn't show me a bottle since they have it come out of an oil gun set to a predetermined flow/amount.

I know the Toyota Auto Trans fluid is set to the friction needed for the tranny. I'm just a bit hesitant to go outside the dealer or source the fluid from the dealer and do it myself.

Anyone try Oil Stop by Chevron?

Nice write up.

13. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Fortech

Fortech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Its three quarts that get replaced from the total capacity.

Not everyone has access to a flush machine. Neither shop within 500 miles of me has a flush machine, including the dealer. Do you suggest I don't perform any maintenance at all in lieu of a flush?

You're getting ripped. I only pay $7 a quart at the dealer.

While not a complete fluid change, a drain and refill of the pan at the proper intervals recommended by Toyota is all that is required to satisfy the ATF maintenance requirements. Since the dealer makes no $$$ on this service, they "upsell" the flush procedure. Not required and actually more harm than good in higher mileage units.

TacomaCZman likes this.
  14. Dec 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM
    tacogsxr

tacogsxr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner 4x2
    3" lift kit from toyo tech
    read the first 4 page of the thread on this tranny diy, did we clearly confirm the light come on for the 4x2's? or is that light just for the 4x4's, also stated the "d" light.

i have an appliance repair company and i rack some miles buaght the taco nov last year and as of today i have 46,569(baught the truck new with 0 on dash)

15. Dec 29, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paid $189 to have mine flushed. At that price, it cost just a bit more than doing it myself. Plus, this is my first automatic, my only transportation at the moment, ive contemplated doing it myself for a few months now but with no shop to work in, and the cold rainy weather I bit the bullet and got it done.

For anyone with high mileage I recommend it. As soon as I pulled out of the dealership I felt an improvement, better throttle response, Quicker shifts with a nicer firm feeling, no more harsh 5th gear shift when cold, no more lurch into 2nd gear around corners or starting off facing down hill. Feels like it did when I bought the truck. Another thing to note is it shifts slightly quicker from Park to Drive/Reverse etc.

No idea what its going to do long term wise but I know Aisin automatics tend to outlive Toyota engines, the Toyota WS fluid can only make me more confident in that. Think I will do a drop and drain yearly from now on.

Im at 195,000 kilometers now.

16. Dec 29, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
  17. Dec 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    slowhands

slowhands New Member

Member:
    Great post ,Thank you

18. Feb 1, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    arvizu9618

arvizu9618 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RT
    PHX AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 D-Cab SPORT SB
    Map/Dome Light on same time, Beep onLock, Anytime DTRL's, Fog Light on any time, Cockpit lights in footwells, night light in cup holder and rear of console, Radio ON w/ ignition off (off with timer), 3157 socket for rear turn signals (BRIGHTER), Reverse Light Mod, Tap light in console and engine bay, removed screen prior to MAP sensor, Blacked out lower valance, badges, center caps and door handles, Added door sill plates, JVC-KDHDR50 Head unit (HD Baby), Tinted exterior lights, Borla Exhaust.
    My Scangauge reads tranny temp.

I'd rather depend on it than doing the jumper wire.

At what temp is the tranny "warmed up" to check the overflow.

RT :cool:

Never mind, write up says between 115F and 130F

19. Feb 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    sprocketgti3

sprocketgti3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD
    TRD Air box TRD Exhaust Rear Swaybar Undercover Bed Cover Additional D-Ring rails installed, refab of oem rails. Steel Side bed lock box. 1" lift kit. Stainless Brake Lines Frt D-ring tie downs 12 VDC power port in rear bed Reinforced tailgate structure DRL cutout switch.
    Thanks for the tech info. Worked perfectly first time on my trans service.

20. Feb 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I must have missed something in the previous 10 pages, what is used for the transmission fluid check light for the automatic trannys? I have an 09 auto also and do not have the tranny temp light like on the manuals.

Products Discussed in

To Top