Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to Drain/Refill Automatic Transmission

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #321
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Shit 60k miles? I need to do this. Thanks for the write up
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #322
freak1986 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
freak1986's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up about the at/temp light

I have an '05 tacoma prerunner 2 wheel drive with 5 speed auto trans and i can 100% confirm that this process DOES in fact work to check the trans temp. I not even 10 mins. Ago finished the service on my auto transmission and though the temp light DOES NOT come on when the key is turned on if u follow this guys step by step instructions on how to get into temp check mode u will see that the light does illuminate although it takes 6-7 shifts instead of the 5-6 shifts described... your welcome =)
Old 03-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #323
staymates788 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: SEAN
staymates788's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
My 2005 4x4 had 115,000 before I did this and the fluid looked pretty good. Wasn't (too) dark and didn't smell. I would guess I could have gone to 150,000 and be fine.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #324
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sub. I’m at about 51k and will be doing my 60k my self.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #325
teasac69 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Ordnance
teasac69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTacoma View Post
Heres a youtube video for an 07 PreRunner...im pretty confident ( well assuming) its probally identical to a 07 Toyota Tacoam 4.0 v6 assuming its an automatic transmission on his video...when i did my Oil change last month i looked at my transmission pan and looked almost identical to one on the video..I have an 07 SR5 V6 4x4 Tacoma..this guy didnt do check the temperature or show it though..is that optional or u have to do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdq30go2V7w

I appreciate this video and the homemade filler funnel. I think most of the task is not difficult, except this refill looks crazy. Has anyone else developed a method to refill the new fluid that doesn't take a Texas A&M engineering degree?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #326
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I need to do this...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #327
dibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant futuredibble9012 has a brilliant future
Air Force:
dibble9012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasac69 View Post
I appreciate this video and the homemade filler funnel. I think most of the task is not difficult, except this refill looks crazy. Has anyone else developed a method to refill the new fluid that doesn't take a Texas A&M engineering degree?
The scangauge 2's latest firmware has a feature to add custom gauges, which includes transmission temp for the Tacoma. Wait till the readout is 115 and add or remove fluid as needed. Worked perfect for me.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #328
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #329
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
I have been putting off changing my trans fluid but I going to do it this weekend because my trans is shifting funny.

When the instructions say slow to a "trickle" coming out of the overflow, does it mean droplets or a small steady flow of fluid coming out of the overflow?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #330
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I got my Scanguage updated so now it can read tranny temps. I'm going to use it this weekend to monitor the temperature when I fill it so I don't have to mess with wires and shifting the gears.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #331
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
I got my Scanguage updated so now it can read tranny temps. I'm going to use it this weekend to monitor the temperature when I fill it so I don't have to mess with wires and shifting the gears.
Scangage makes it easy.

In regards to a trickle, it's between drops and a steady flow like pouring milk from a jug.

Compare it to when changing your oil, the final steady fluid flow after the major amount of fluid is removed.

PK
Old 05-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #332
MSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to all
Name: Mark
MSCOFF's Tacoma Gallery
scanguage temp

Hi PMK; I've got a 2011 V6 auto trans 4wd. I pit the Xguage command in for th trans temp. Can you give me a range of #s that you get for the temp. Alot seems to depend on the outside air temp when driving. I get between 100 and 140 (not towing). Truck has the tow package. thanks mark s
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #333
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
Scangage makes it easy.

In regards to a trickle, it's between drops and a steady flow like pouring milk from a jug.

Compare it to when changing your oil, the final steady fluid flow after the major amount of fluid is removed.

PK
Thanks. I put it off for too long and it's time to do it
Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #334

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I need to do this...
Alright! I finally did it!

I have a 2010 double cab long bed trd sport and I only had 2 qts drain out.

I re filled 2 1/2 qts and did the temp check and no fluid came out so I added another qt or so and then had plenty come out. All in all, should be around the OP's amount of 3 qts in the AT.

Thanks for the write up, very helpful.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #335
I changed mine this weekend. Only 2.5 quarts came out when draining it. When I removed the pan, there was another 1.5 quarts in it. Yes I was on level ground. I cleaned the magnets and filled with 4.5 quarts and about 1/4 quart came out until it became a trickle at 115F.

It seems to shift smoother and less clunkly now.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #336
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
I need to do this service, and want to do it myself....had a dealer "flush" it a year ago and turns out they totally lied and did a drain and fill.

Was quoted $150 to do a drain and fill from another dealer. With that price I can justify buying a scanguage 2 and monitor the trans temp that way to get it to the right level. Does this seem like a good route to take?

OR is it possible to put it on level ground and drain the pan, measure exactly how much came out, and put that amount back in????

I have ZERO leaks in the system and it was serviced by a dealer last so the tranny fluid should be up to spec.

Damn this transmission! I have done everything else maintenance to this truck myself and am really paranoid about overfilling/underfilling. I hate not having a dipstick!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #337
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyotaco06 View Post
OR is it possible to put it on level ground and drain the pan, measure exactly how much came out, and put that amount back in????
Doing it "right" is the only way to ensure that you have the proper fluid level.
You can "cheat", but then you are operating under the assumption that you currently have the correct level.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #338
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for future reference. Thank you OP for the amazing write up and great detail!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #339
Scott F. Bishop is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Scott F. Bishop's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission cooler for towing

Hey everybody, new to this site, but it truly rocks. Instead of always taking from these types of sites, I thought I'd finally give back. In this case it relates directly to this topic. I've got a 2008 Tacoma, er, quad cab, crew cab, I dunno, it has four doors anyway. I'm about to put a hitch on her and as we all know an aftermarket transmission oil cooler is a great idea, even if you never end up towing anything anyway which in my case I probably won't. I figure its better to have and not need than need and not have.

Here's my point. When installing one of these goodies, make life easy on yourself and REMOVE THE FRONT GRILL before proceeding. Its just two screws on the top, a couple of plastic retainers on each side, also on top, and the grill lifts straight up and out. Its that simple. You don't have to mess with the headlights, the horn, body trim, nothing. The A.C compressor radiator and all else is then exposed and you can do whatever installation you want at your leisure. In my case I also took off two more screws and loosened the cooling fan cowling which is necessary for installation.

The point is, don't spend half the afternoon scraping your hands and forearms to shreds in installing one of these. I discovered this only AFTER engraving Toyota into the lower half of my appendages (and going blind with a flashlight and a mirror) the hard way. Its just not worth it.

I'll of course use this thread to put in additional transmission fluid and top her off, as the new cooler requires more fluid for the overall system. First car I've ever heard of (well witnessed) that did NOT have a tranny dipstick. Unreal, but hey, that's price of progress, I guess.

Hope this helps the next guy/gal from busted knuckles and scraped forearems for no logical reason.

Thanks guys!

---SFB
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #340
over60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
over60's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys.... I'm ready to do the drain and fill, but I cannot get that darn "at Temp" light to come on as suggested in the write-up.....!! I've tried 10 times or so... I've got the right pins jumped on the OBD connector.... Is there something I'm missing?

I just watched the Youtube video and he was shifting a little faster than I had down... I'll try that next.... what else could I be doing wrong?

Thanx....

Products Discussed in this Thread