1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Configurations and Options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stirlinglyon, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    Stirlinglyon

Stirlinglyon [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 Debadged
    Tonneau cover-Grill-added lights-
    My existing Toyota pickup is a 1992 access cab, 5 speed manual, V6, and is totally standard. After 300,000 plus miles it's time for a new one. I am not interested in going off the paved road, so four wheel drive and big ground clearance are not necessary. I would like all the modern conveniences, eg. electric windows, cruise, automatic trans, V6, etc. ( the SR5 package). I don't really want the Prerunner setup and certainly not the TRD package. Is it possible to get the modern version of my old truck with the SR5 options?

Any ideas on this?

Ken Lyon

2. Dec 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
  3. Dec 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    DorsoDoug

DorsoDoug Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Greater Pittsburg, PA (Ohio River Valley)
    Vehicle:
    '08 AC SR5, 2.7L, 4 x 4, Black Sand Pearl
    Rear TSB, 1.75" 5100s, 265/70/16 TRD BFGs, Anthracite FJ TRD wheels Toyota Seat Covers, Killer Toyotal All-Weather Mats, Black Window Tint
    I've owned three previous Toyota trucks, all 4wd "access" cabs with 4 cyl manual transmissions; an '89, '91 & 96. All were purchased new and in total I accumulated >400k largely trouble free miles. It's the only thingI've driven in 20+ years. I really liked the unrefined taut ride of the previous trucks. They all had quite firm suspensions, respectable payload capacities and were as tight the day I turned them over as they were brand new. I was seriously disappointed in the mushy "civilized" suspension on my '08 4 cyl MT access cab sr5. I referred to it as a Toyota Silverado. I was even more disappointed with the load carry capability - my 450# motorcycle all but sacked the suspension with the vehicle at rest. And finally, I wasn't crazy about the low, nose down attitude of the truck, but what could I do? I eventually addressed the issues through the rear spring TSB with the addition of the front Bilstein 5100s set at 1.75" (and some 265/70 BFG Rugged Trials. I am now very pleased with the way the truck sits and handles, as well as the appearance. Honestly, I still think its a little weak on carrying capacity compared to my '96.
    If you are looking to replace what you have and like that character, I'd drive a TRD and a SR5, and maybe plan on dropping a few bills on some "upgrades". If I could have at the the time, I would have purchased a brand new '96 just like the one I had. You kinda get to like something you spent hundreds of thousands of miles driving. I'm over that now, but my wallets a bit lighter.:)

4. Dec 6, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you want the V6, I think you're going to have to go Prerunner.

And you aren't going to get a V6 in a regular cab, either.

However, remember that the current I4 is a bit more powerful than the early 1990's era V6.

5. Dec 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    Stirlinglyon

Stirlinglyon [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 Debadged
    Tonneau cover-Grill-added lights-
    Thanks for the reply's gentleman. I think I will have to go with the Prerunner/SR5 setup.

6. Dec 6, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you driven a modern 4-cyl version?

Seriously, it might be all the power you want. The 2.7 4-cyl has a little more power than my brother's '92 3.0 V6 did.

Products Discussed in

To Top