Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Difference between SR5 suspension and TRD suspension

Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
carletos is on a distinguished road
carletos's Tacoma Gallery
Difference between SR5 suspension and TRD suspension

After reading the plethora of info that is available on the site I am left with one main question. What is the difference between the SR5 coils that are on my 09 regular cab prerunner and the TRD coils? The reason I ask is because I would like to emulate the TRD ride of my friend's tacoma. Should I just purchase the coils or is the better option. Any help would be appreciated. This is also my first post so let me know if I made any newbie mistakes.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
SR5 and TRD Sport use a non progressive rate spring, while the TRD Off Road uses a Progressive rate spring.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
So should I just go to the dealership and order TRD off-road coils, or is there a better aftermarket choice?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
TRD
NotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the rough

NotstockTRD's Tacoma Gallery
sr5 indicates chrome package I thought?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to buy new coils you might as well get some that give you a little lift. Heard good things about these:

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 12-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
If I already picked up some stock trd bilstein shocks, can I use them with eibach coil lift? Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Also remember the TRD Off Road has a smaller sway bar to go with the progressive coils, your PreRunner has the TRD Sport coils and sway bar (which is bigger). To avoid a mismatch in your suspension set up, you should just get the TRD shocks.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Also remember the TRD Off Road has a smaller sway bar to go with the progressive coils, your PreRunner has the TRD Sport coils and sway bar (which is bigger). To avoid a mismatch in your suspension set up, you should just get the TRD shocks.
The Off Road, and SR5 have the same sway bar, but the TRD Sport has a larger diameter.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
canuck_tacoma will become famous soon enough
canuck_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I am running the Eibach coils with stock TRD shocks. On road it is great, if you are going to do serious of road with large compressions then a 5100 would be a better shock. Myself, I only do service roads and the odd rough road so I don't feel the need to change out my TRD's. I do find the odd large bump it would be nice to have more dampening.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The Off Road, and SR5 have the same sway bar, but the TRD Sport has a larger diameter.
I have a 07 Prerruner double cab with SR5 package (no TRD). What size in mm is my swaybar?