1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello Newbie Here

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gohorses, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    gohorses

gohorses [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am interested in purchasing a new truck. How much can you reasonably deduct from the MSRP when making the dealer an offer?

Just trying to obtain a fair price.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Check out http://www.edmunds.com/
    I did a lot of reading on line and feel I did OK on my deal.
    I price compared four dealers in my area on line, all came in within $200. to $300. of each other. I bought mine on 12-30-08, I wanted to make sure they were going to give me the best deal. I think it worked, I paid $25 for mine. They were really willing to deal on the left over 08's. I wanted the 09 for the side airbags and a few of the other upgrades the 09 had over the 08's. Otherwise I would have pulled the trigger on an 08. Good luck, keep us posted.

3. Dec 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    gohorses

gohorses [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the input.

I have offers from two dealers. I thought it interesting that the difference from MSRP and the offer was exactly 7% from both dealers.

Does that sound right? Is that about all their going to take off the MSRP, 7%?

Any suggestion/thoughts would be appreciated. Not trying to take advantage of anyone, just trying to obtain a fair deal.

MSRP $30,148.00 Offer $27,899.00
    MSRP $28,450.00 Offer $26,388.00

4. Dec 10, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    braggman7

braggman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '23 Trail Edition
    bargain from the invoice up, not the msrp down.

5. Dec 10, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I would say 7% is average. Years ago i would usually get 10% off msrp. But when i bought my 09 taco i got about 7% off msrp. I explained i have always got about 10% and the sales manager said that was about right a few years back, but with the economy they are keeping the msrp lower and not as much room to bargin anymore.

Just dont buy any of the extra's - undercoating , paint sealent, fabric protect, etc. They make a great deal of money with those

6. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    DuderAbides

DuderAbides Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD OR 4X4
    this is gold right here! you never go from MSRP down. MSRP is a way for the dealer to protect as much of the money he's about to make off of you. So that way when you offer a msrp - 1000 dollars or so, its not as big of a deal as offering invoice -500 dollars

either way, he makes money from holdback, and dealer/factory rebates

7. Dec 10, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    gohorses

gohorses [OP] New Member

Member:
    So what do you do ask them to show you the invoice? How can you be certain it is even what they are actually paying?

What about dealer fees, do you refuse to pay the dealer fees?

I thought I would offer to pay invoice plus taxes and license only. They get the hold back and my service business.

8. Dec 10, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    DuderAbides

DuderAbides Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD OR 4X4
    What your offering to do, sounds perfectly logical. Whether or not a salesman is going to bite, is another story. Try speaking with their fleet manager, or a higher food chain employee, one that works on salary, not on commission. Alot of cars salesman will pull the line, "your stealing food out of my kids mouths!" when you try to offer a reasonable offer for both of you. If that were the case, sell more cars, or get a better job. Don't let 'em guilt trip you.
    Check out www.carbuyingtips.com excellent website, with ALOT of helpful tips. I wouldn't necessarily say invoice plus fees.
    When i return to the dealership after i finally sell the corvette, im simply going to say, im willing to pay for the truck at the price they bought it from the toyota factory, plus 5%. 5% extra is all their profit they'll make off of me for initial purchase. Which, when you think about it, is pretty damn good, considering your average grocery store will see around a 2%profit on all goods they sell!
    Prepare yourself and keep in mind, your not buying some super duper product. As much as everyone loves their taco/corvette/bmw, etc etc..its a car. A mass produced assembly line built vehicle. Don't get emotional and jumpy at the dealership, be very prepared to just walk out. Alot of deals are made in the parking lot after you walk out!

9. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    Invoice Price from Edmunds/KBB etc + U$200 - Rebates +/- Trade In + TTL = Your Price.

MSRP never comes into the equation.

Fritz

10. Dec 11, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    I did all my negotiations online, ended up getting my 09 TRD OR for just about 26000, MSRP was just under 32000. I figured they lie and cheat you, so i did the same, i told one dealer that i got this offer, and if he could beat it id buy it today. he beat it and then i went to the other deal with the same proposition. I went on until they said they could not beat it. then i told them to knock dealer fees off and i would be there within the hour.....it worked for me!! good luck with your purchase

Products Discussed in

To Top