Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hello Newbie Here

Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
gohorses is on a distinguished road
gohorses's Tacoma Gallery
Hello Newbie Here

I am interested in purchasing a new truck. How much can you reasonably deduct from the MSRP when making the dealer an offer?

Just trying to obtain a fair price.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Check out http://www.edmunds.com/
I did a lot of reading on line and feel I did OK on my deal.
I price compared four dealers in my area on line, all came in within $200. to $300. of each other. I bought mine on 12-30-08, I wanted to make sure they were going to give me the best deal. I think it worked, I paid $25 for mine. They were really willing to deal on the left over 08's. I wanted the 09 for the side airbags and a few of the other upgrades the 09 had over the 08's. Otherwise I would have pulled the trigger on an 08. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Check out http://www.edmunds.com/
I did a lot of reading on line and feel I did OK on my deal.
I price compared four dealers in my area on line, all came in within $200. to $300. of each other. I bought mine on 12-30-08, I wanted to make sure they were going to give me the best deal. I think it worked, I paid $25 for mine. They were really willing to deal on the left over 08's. I wanted the 09 for the side airbags and a few of the other upgrades the 09 had over the 08's. Otherwise I would have pulled the trigger on an 08. Good luck, keep us posted.
Thanks for the input.

I have offers from two dealers. I thought it interesting that the difference from MSRP and the offer was exactly 7% from both dealers.

Does that sound right? Is that about all their going to take off the MSRP, 7%?

Any suggestion/thoughts would be appreciated. Not trying to take advantage of anyone, just trying to obtain a fair deal.

MSRP $30,148.00 Offer $27,899.00
MSRP $28,450.00 Offer $26,388.00
Old 12-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
braggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
braggman7's Tacoma Gallery
bargain from the invoice up, not the msrp down.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
I would say 7% is average. Years ago i would usually get 10% off msrp. But when i bought my 09 taco i got about 7% off msrp. I explained i have always got about 10% and the sales manager said that was about right a few years back, but with the economy they are keeping the msrp lower and not as much room to bargin anymore.

Just dont buy any of the extra's - undercoating , paint sealent, fabric protect, etc. They make a great deal of money with those
Old 12-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
DuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st EOD Co.
Name: Tom
DuderAbides's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by braggman7 View Post
bargain from the invoice up, not the msrp down.
this is gold right here! you never go from MSRP down. MSRP is a way for the dealer to protect as much of the money he's about to make off of you. So that way when you offer a msrp - 1000 dollars or so, its not as big of a deal as offering invoice -500 dollars

either way, he makes money from holdback, and dealer/factory rebates
Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderAbides View Post
this is gold right here! you never go from MSRP down. MSRP is a way for the dealer to protect as much of the money he's about to make off of you. So that way when you offer a msrp - 1000 dollars or so, its not as big of a deal as offering invoice -500 dollars

either way, he makes money from holdback, and dealer/factory rebates
So what do you do ask them to show you the invoice? How can you be certain it is even what they are actually paying?

What about dealer fees, do you refuse to pay the dealer fees?

I thought I would offer to pay invoice plus taxes and license only. They get the hold back and my service business.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
DuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st EOD Co.
Name: Tom
DuderAbides's Tacoma Gallery
What your offering to do, sounds perfectly logical. Whether or not a salesman is going to bite, is another story. Try speaking with their fleet manager, or a higher food chain employee, one that works on salary, not on commission. Alot of cars salesman will pull the line, "your stealing food out of my kids mouths!" when you try to offer a reasonable offer for both of you. If that were the case, sell more cars, or get a better job. Don't let 'em guilt trip you.
Check out www.carbuyingtips.com excellent website, with ALOT of helpful tips. I wouldn't necessarily say invoice plus fees.
When i return to the dealership after i finally sell the corvette, im simply going to say, im willing to pay for the truck at the price they bought it from the toyota factory, plus 5%. 5% extra is all their profit they'll make off of me for initial purchase. Which, when you think about it, is pretty damn good, considering your average grocery store will see around a 2%profit on all goods they sell!
Prepare yourself and keep in mind, your not buying some super duper product. As much as everyone loves their taco/corvette/bmw, etc etc..its a car. A mass produced assembly line built vehicle. Don't get emotional and jumpy at the dealership, be very prepared to just walk out. Alot of deals are made in the parking lot after you walk out!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
fritzthecat will become famous soon enough

Navy:
fritzthecat's Tacoma Gallery
Invoice Price from Edmunds/KBB etc + U$200 - Rebates +/- Trade In + TTL = Your Price.

MSRP never comes into the equation.

Fritz
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I did all my negotiations online, ended up getting my 09 TRD OR for just about 26000, MSRP was just under 32000. I figured they lie and cheat you, so i did the same, i told one dealer that i got this offer, and if he could beat it id buy it today. he beat it and then i went to the other deal with the same proposition. I went on until they said they could not beat it. then i told them to knock dealer fees off and i would be there within the hour.....it worked for me!! good luck with your purchase