Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tundra Owner with a Question

Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Newbe
Radio Enginerd is on a distinguished road

Radio Enginerd's Tacoma Gallery
Question Tundra Owner with a Question

I own a 2007 RWD Tundra CrewMax with the iForce 5.7L V8. I love the truck but with the rising gas prices I'm starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice. I am considering trading it in for a V6 Tacoma DC.

My around town mileage is 12-13, 18-19 highway. From reading this thread it doesn't look like I'll be gaining anything.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Well i guess it depends really on what you do with your truck. If you need something big and do alot of hauling then you made the right choice, but if you do alot of driving and not so much hauling then you may not have. I have an V6 07 4x2 prerunner with a volant CAI and i get around 18-19 city 21-22 highway. But this is just my 2 cents hope it helps.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at your numbers I'm guessing you're not an agressive driver. In a tacoma I'd expect you would get much better MPG's in the city and low 20's on the highway.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Enginerd View Post
I own a 2007 RWD Tundra CrewMax with the iForce 5.7L V8. I love the truck but with the rising gas prices I'm starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice. I am considering trading it in for a V6 Tacoma DC.

My around town mileage is 12-13, 18-19 highway. From reading this thread it doesn't look like I'll be gaining anything.

I'm getting over 18 mph around town. V6 and auto. Haven't towed anything yet to test the spring issue or the mileage.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Enginerd View Post

My average for city and highway is about 17. That's pretty close to 50/50 city/highway
Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
sidewinder is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SMSgt
sidewinder's Tacoma Gallery
I don't break mine down between city and highway, but I'm at 22. 70/30 highway. V6 Auto.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I do pretty much all town driving and I get 17.5-18 mpg. Highway, I've gotten 21-22.

I don't let gas prices determine what I drive. So you spend an extra couple of bucks to fill up, as long as you are driving what you like, who cares? Just give up one restaurant meal a month and you're covered.

Remember, we've been through this before. Gas prices rise and fall, it happens all the time with traded commodities. It was worse in 1973 (you don't see shortages or long lines, right?). I always find it interesting how people say "THIS IS THE WORST EVER!" but they're only looking as far back as they can remember. Some folks think the economy is "THE WORST EVER!" but they're forgetting a little thing called "The Great Depression". I'm speaking in generalities here, btw. You might say I'm "bloviating", lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #8
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
It's a good thing that you are reconsidering your situation. Do not listen to other armchair economists on here that use ridiculous analogies and comparisons to state their case. It shows their ignorance of the economy.

Gas prices have no choice except to go up, treated like a commodity and the reset of ARM's for a high of March 2008 means this is going to get much, much worse.

To equate the great depression and the 70's with todays scenario is making me laugh so hard I have soda in my nose!

I really got put that guy on ignore...
Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #9
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Keep in mind where you live and drive makes a difference too. I live in NY with lots of hills and valleys to cross. I saw 21mpg (for the day!) for the first time in two years a couple weeks ago! Normally I get 17-18 regardless of how I drive around here with the exception of offroading or towing.

If you REALLY want to save gas money, get an I4.... Seems like some of those guys are getting damn near 30mpg.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Basically you'll see a 3 mpg improvement city/hwy going to a V6.

Not sure it would be worth the trade-in hosing for that. If you need a truck and room for 5, mid-size or fullsize, in general, you'll always avg under 20 mpg, no matter what brand or size. Nature of the beast.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Owning a tundra now and a tacoma, the tundra cost me way more to fill it every week but it seems both go the same distance before i have to fill them. So 78 dollars in the tundra and 40 dollars in the tacoma a week. Thats 93 octane. Both need to be filled before the week is over.
Owning both an 06 tacoma and a new 08 tundra crew cab, I love both trucks. In my opinion the interior on the tacoma is actualy nicer then the tundra. But the Tundra holds its own as it has gobs of hp, and tuns of room.
PS: Whats an I4?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

O god no! Ill gladly pay for fuel. This trucks already eaten fords and chevys all day long. Cant wait till a chip is avalible for the 5.7, so far the trd exhaust is all I have and a k&n filter.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #14
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm...I get about 13-16 mpg with city driving. On my behalf, much of that is in stop and go traffic.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
I drive with a leadfoot. 12 MPG for me. You should get a 4 banger if you wanna get a decent improvement in MPG.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
I drive with a leadfoot. 12 MPG for me. You should get a 4 banger if you wanna get a decent improvement in MPG.
he can't get the 4 because he wants the double cab. I can't imagine the truck with 4 fat guys and a 4 cyclinder. I feel like I'm crawling with my 6 whenever I drive my buddies.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #17
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 05 tundra access cab v-8 the mileage wasn't to good around town or highway I think 16 was average for hwy 12 in town. My DC tacoma get's the same 16 in town and 18- 19 on the highway at 75-85 mph but it seem's I'm at the gas station with the tacoma I think it's because I drive it more than the tundra, 5,500 mile's in 60 day's .
Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #18

Smaller tank in the tacoma too.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #19
MaGuyver is on a distinguished road

MaGuyver's Tacoma Gallery
I had a ‘07 Tundra 5.7 in the double cab and traded for the 07 Tacoma 4dr. 4.0. You will loose things in the down sizing, like quality, ride, power, great breaks and creature comforts. If you are willing to give these things up then go for it. I miss my tundra but gas is better and my ride to work was a lot of lights and turns.
For better mileage you could. 1. Change the tranny, trans and engine oil to Amsoil. 2. Change your stock tires with more fuel efficient ones-according to Magic Mechanic out of Orland (AM radio personality and owner part in a garage). 3. Add CAI and headers. With all of this you might end up spending less than trading your and buying new. I could not sell mine because the dealers were giving $5000.00 in rebates.

I think the Tundra in a auto is 5speed, if they would have put a 6speed then that might have done a lot for us gas conscious folks.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #20
M2M will become famous soon enough

M2M's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 106Tacoma View Post
Owning a tundra now and a tacoma, the tundra cost me way more to fill it every week but it seems both go the same distance before i have to fill them. So 78 dollars in the tundra and 40 dollars in the tacoma a week. Thats 93 octane. Both need to be filled before the week is over.
Owning both an 06 tacoma and a new 08 tundra crew cab, I love both trucks. In my opinion the interior on the tacoma is actualy nicer then the tundra. But the Tundra holds its own as it has gobs of hp, and tuns of room.
PS: Whats an I4?

why would you run 93 octane -
they run great on 89