Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How much would it cost to import a toyota hilux?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
TRDSport is on a distinguished road
TRDSport's Tacoma Gallery
How much would it cost to import a toyota hilux?

Hello everyone? Im new to this site and wondering if anyone knew how much would it cost to bring a Toyota Hilux to the US from somewhere in South America. I really like and know someone that is going in a few weeks and they said they would drive it back for me. Im in TX and if anyone can help please let me know.

Thank you
Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Chances are if it was never offered in the U.S. and it is newer than 25 years old it would be almost impossible.

I believe the only vehicles you can bring in that are newer than 25 years old are Toyota vehicles from Canada.

With that said I know there are some JDM (Japanese Domestic market) Landcruisers that have made there way through the cracks.

Bob
Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
TRDSport is on a distinguished road
TRDSport's Tacoma Gallery
Well if I bring one it would be a brand new a 2007 or maybe an 06. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDSport View Post
Well if I bring one it would be a brand new a 2007 or maybe an 06. Thanks for your reply.
If you were able to do it , you would be a very popular person.
I for one would want to know how you did it.

I would pretty much get rid of my Tacoma AND FJ Cruiser if I could bet a turbo-diesel Helix.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDSport View Post
You should investigate why it is not marketed in the US. It may not meet North American emissions requirements. I also suspect that rubber components may not be designed to withstand extreme cold temperatures in NA. Also consider resale value and serviceability.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
toyota helix or is it hilux?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
twoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

twoarezee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
toyota helix or is it hilux?
its hilux. from what i know to import you would need to pass an emissions test and have the safety and restraint systems passed by the DOT as well as lights, glass, tires etc... but a turbo diesel already in the US doesnt need to be smog'd so m not entirely sure.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the cost of a turbo diesel truck would add a couple thousand to the base price. The question here is, would the hilux diesel run on this new low sulfur diesel fuel that is being shoved down the throats of ford, chevy and dodge truck owners. Why did Volkswagon discontinue selling the diesel engine in New York State?

Several other questions that i would like to throw into this thread: Why is the body style sold in the US and Canada different from the rest of the world? Is it because that design looks too imported?? This is true, not only with toyota, but with other manufacturers as well. We are a country made up of just about every nationality there is, so what makes us different?

I beleive demographics play quite a role in what we are offered, and what we wont see here.
You will find 4dr trucks are sold 90% in the midwest, and a reg cab wont sell well there at all.

well i am off my soap box once again
"old school is cool"
bill
Old 01-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
Why is the body style sold in the US and Canada different from the rest of the world? bill
North American’s are obsessed with “BIG” hence like their trucks big. It also gives one the perception its safer and exude power. Most of all, they are made that way to compete with the domestics (Big 3)
Old 01-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaster View Post
North American’s are obsessed with “BIG” hence like their trucks big. It also gives one the perception its safer and exude power. Most of all, they are made that way to compete with the domestics (Big 3)
I agree.
Funny but I remember reading this review once that a Mini-Cooper actually did better than a Ford F150 in certain crash test ratings.
Wish I could find that link again.

Guess bigger isn't always better.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
jarrod06 is on a distinguished road

jarrod06's Tacoma Gallery
i would love to have a hilux but to hard to get so i got hilux embelems for my truck that i ordered off ebay that came from australia