Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can't find a good price on UWS black low profile tool boxes

Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
CaliforniaTaco is on a distinguished road
CaliforniaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can't find a good price on UWS black low profile tool boxes

I'm wanting a UWS low-profile tool box (black) and have gone through every thread on this site, but seems like the only ones I can find are $100-$150 more than everyone else paid.

I've been checking craigslist everyday for months and nothing's out there, Amazon has them for $444 w/ free shipping, most other "truck tool box" sites want $375 + arm/leg to ship.

Where are all these great deals to be found?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaTaco View Post
I've been checking craigslist everyday for months and nothing's out there

Old 12-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by canada View Post

$364.50 + $90 = $454.50

besides the fact that it's too big...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad we couldn't get a group buy on these things...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
It is not UWS but I got one here

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle...m-truck-boxes/
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post

I do not see UWS products anywhere on that site.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to say it was not UWS but that I found a good quality low profile black aluminum crossover tool box at Tractor Supply. I don't know who makes them for Tractor Supply but I am pretty sure they are just having the manufacturer rivet their label on it. And the was the first thing I removed.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterquad View Post
I tired to say it was not UWS but that I found a good quality low profile black aluminum crossover tool box at Tractor Supply. I don't know who makes them for Tractor Supply but I am pretty sure they are just having the manufacturer rivet their label on it. And the was the first thing I removed.
Wow that's awesome. The closest one to me is about an hour away, but well worth the trip if so.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
get the home depot box and paint it like some members have done. 100-150 bucks plus a little time.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
get the home depot box and paint it like some members have done. 100-150 bucks plus a little time.
That's a pretty good idea. Will file it in my head for future reference.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #15
truckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant future
truckalter's Tacoma Gallery
UWS boxes are pricey... thats pretty much the end of it... Sometimes you get lucky and someone is dumping some inventory or something but that's rare...

Shipping is huge on toolboxes because they must go truck freight, not UPS or FedEx. Minimum cost to the dealer to ship that way is usually $75+

Home Depot, Lowes and Tractor Supply boxes are all done by Better Built and branded for the stores. They are decent boxes for the average user. If you haul serious tools don't get them but if you are going to but some basic stuff in th box thy will be fine and cost a good bit less than a UWS box.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
Yaris Offroader
putawaywet is a name known to allputawaywet is a name known to allputawaywet is a name known to allputawaywet is a name known to allputawaywet is a name known to allputawaywet is a name known to all
Name: Jason
putawaywet's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, I was looking at toolboxes yesterday and the guy at Cap World (sells UWS and Weatherguard) told me to stay away from the UWS black boxes. He said they've only got a 1 yr warranty and that most of the black ones he's sold have had issues with the black finish peeling/flaking off within a year. Of course, the weatherguard is twice the price, but they've got a 5-yr warranty and he said the finish doesn't come off.

As far as the UWS being pricey - it's the cheapest option I've considered for an aluminum box. I guess it makes a difference if you're working out of it or just keeping occasional stuff dry in it, but as with most things in life you get the quality you pay for.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #17
trdtacoman31 is on a distinguished road
trdtacoman31's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from Leonard Truck Accessories. Cost $320 new. I'm not positive but I think LTA has locations throughout the U.S.?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
trdtacoman31 is on a distinguished road
trdtacoman31's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Nevermind, I looked and they are only up and down the East Coast- meaning you would still have the high shipping cost- sorry.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #19
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
myself and alot of other members have this box.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...036&lpage=none

Here is the thread with pictures of the box painted black

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ox-kobalt.html
Old 03-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
USAONE is on a distinguished road
USAONE's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a nice box at a local tire and truck place. It had no sticker on it but was told that the box was made by UWS but the store could not put the stickers on the boxes. My son has a new UWS box and when comparing, they were identical. I found the warranty in my box and it was on UWS letterhead.